My mandala quilt design >

My mandala quilt design

My mandala quilt design

Old 08-07-2011, 07:09 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by np3
Okay, I tried and I'm not happy with how it comes out. Each section looks a little different. Not my skill set I guess. Wonder if it would work to make one design and then transfer it to the next 7 sections? But it might not flow. Well heck.
I think this WOULD work - I know what you mean about anal, I'm a bit that way myself! :mrgreen: If you want to copy mine, I really don't mind. Perhaps this would give you a starting point then you could adapt it a bit to make it your own. :-D

Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g16B64myG-E obviously it's done as a drawing so there aren't the limits of creating applique templates. Try and think of this stage as just the bones of the mandala - not the finished article. Anyway, this video is beautiful I think and might put you in the 'zone'. :-D
Thanks, going to watch it right now!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 AM
np3
Power Poster

Okay that was amazing! Now I'm convinced that this isn't for me. As she did the "v" I pictured what I would do if mine wasn't as perfect as hers. I'd erase it. Over and over again. I'd use a ruler to measure the 8 pieces to make sure they were exactly where they belonged. Her finished product was a perfect circle, everything was perfect. Flashed back to 8th grade art class. I flunked Art. Only class I didn't get an A in all through junior high. To this day, drawing and portraits are not my thing! Still going to follow along though. I respect Art, just don't "do" Art.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by np3
Okay that was amazing! Now I'm convinced that this isn't for me. As she did the "v" I pictured what I would do if mine wasn't as perfect as hers. I'd erase it. Over and over again. I'd use a ruler to measure the 8 pieces to make sure they were exactly where they belonged. Her finished product was a perfect circle, everything was perfect. Flashed back to 8th grade art class. I flunked Art. Only class I didn't get an A in all through junior high. To this day, drawing and portraits are not my thing! Still going to follow along though. I respect Art, just don't "do" Art.
Hey, I used rulers AND a pair of compasses and measured everything to be sure each segment was identical! AND I did LOTS of erasing too! You HAVE to do that as you're making applique templates. You get artsy fartsy with the FMQ. You can do this, I've seen your work, I know you're up to it. :-D
Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by np3
Hey, I used rulers AND a pair of compasses and measured everything to be sure each segment was identical! AND I did LOTS of erasing too! You HAVE to do that as you're making applique templates. You get artsy fartsy with the FMQ. You can do this, I've seen your work, I know you're up to it. :-D
You really do? She just did it freehand and so at ease!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:08 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by np3
You really do? She just did it freehand and so at ease![/quote]

YES!!! Drawing mandalas like she did is an end in itself and imperfections don't matter in the scheme of things, but we're skilled craftswomen (hermm-ermmm :mrgreen: ) as WELL as artists and we're creating applique templates and art at the same time! How cool are we? :mrgreen: :-D So we have to be accurate at this stage and rulers, compasses and erasers are the ONLY way. You could even draft first on graph paper if you preferred... Did I say that I drew lines on my square of steam a seam across both central axes and diagonals, giving 8 sections? DO that then just start subdividing each section in the same way - straight lines, curves with the compass etc... everything you do in one segment, repeat in the others. :-D
Old 08-07-2011, 09:35 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by np3
You really do? She just did it freehand and so at ease!
YES!!! Drawing mandalas like she did is an end in itself and imperfections don't matter in the scheme of things, but we're skilled craftswomen (hermm-ermmm :mrgreen: ) as WELL as artists and we're creating applique templates and art at the same time! How cool are we? :mrgreen: :-D So we have to be accurate at this stage and rulers, compasses and erasers are the ONLY way. You could even draft first on graph paper if you preferred... Did I say that I drew lines on my square of steam a seam across both central axes and diagonals, giving 8 sections? DO that then just start subdividing each section in the same way - straight lines, curves with the compass etc... everything you do in one segment, repeat in the others. :-D[/quote]

I have graph paper around here somewhere......
Old 08-07-2011, 12:06 PM

Can't wait to see what it looks like, I like the design.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:37 PM

That is so pretty
Old 08-08-2011, 06:50 AM
k3n
Power Poster

OK - I've cut apart my sheet of Steam a Seam, having first taken a digital photo for reference and laid out these pieces in sets of each number. Then I've pulled some of my batik scraps out and laid them out like a palette of artist paints and I've made a start.

The advantage of Steam a Seam is that it's tacky so will stick temporarily to the background so I can fiddle about with placement. When I'm happy with it, I'll press with the iron right up there on the design wall. I chose the centre fabric first as it's so striking and then I'm working outwards, auditioning fabrics as I go by holding them up against what is already there. Once I choose a fabric, I press all the Steam a Seam templates onto it and cut out as close to the paper as I can get - bit fiddly this but doable with good sharp Fiskars! Then I peel off the backing paper and press in place with my fingers, leaving an increasing amount of the black background showing. This will be filled with FMQ later. And beads. Lots of beads! :mrgreen: :lol:

On the last photo, you can make out where I pressed lines through both centre axes, horizontal and vertical and across both diagonals. This is so I can space things evenly and seems to be working. I'm just doing it by eye and looking through the camera now and then. :-D

Steam a Seam cut up into applique templates
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238325[/ATTACH]

My 'palette' of fabrics - batiks, what else?!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238326[/ATTACH]

My progress so far - see the creases I pressed in for placement?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238327[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238319.jpe   attachment-238320.jpe   attachment-238321.jpe  
Old 08-08-2011, 07:17 AM
np3
Power Poster

Now this part I like! Back to that drawing!