Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what to do with these items I inherited!

Blog Entries
    It looks like maybe someone was going to do some redwork. you can use the iron on transfers to transfer the picture to the muslin square then use the red embroidery thread to work with. the paper bobbins are used as regular bobbins, they are just pre-wound and once used thrown away.
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

Not a lot of help idenitifing your treasures, but the large red spool, closest to the front, says "Nylon" A couple of the others say "Warm Iron Only" Very interesting "stuff" Enjoy!!

The embroidery transfers would be cute framed and put on the wall in your sewing room. I have some cards with pictures of dresses in different time periods that I intend to hang on the wall.

The Aunt Martha's ironons are still in use for embrodery today. If they do not iron on or have been used before there are marking penciles to refresh the ink. Some of their orwn iron ons are no longer available.

Just a suggestion: sell them on ebay.

Power Poster
    I would test the thread to see if it breaks easily, if it does, why not put the spools and bobbins in a jar to add some color to your sewing room? As far as the hot iron transfers are concerned, they usually come with a test piece, so I'd try that first, as they may still work well as transfers. I got a chuckle when I saw 29 cents on one of the Aunt Martha transfers, you'll never see that price again; although I did find a paper of needles that I probably bought as a child that had a price of 10 cents - I keep it around as a memory of a time long lost.

And if you like the iron ons and they don't stick well, use some new fusable web and they should sick. Wooden spools are collectable. I have a bunch here that were mine and my mothers and a neighbor years ago.

the trasfers can be use I have some that dont have any ink left & I have a transfer pen that you can go over them with , as far as the bobbins if the thread is good you can transfer them to your bobbins if you want to sell them please let me know I don't live far from you thank you & have a blessed day ,, shirley

Blog Entries
    Those little ones look like Nymo used in bead stringing and weaving.
    Mary
    Mary
    Quilts cover us with warmth and love!
    Make quilts not war

Quote Originally Posted by jeanettegoodall View Post
    You can purchase a transfer pencil and trace over the pattern then iron it onto the fabric. It works very well.
    also, I am looking for an old Aunt Martha's pattern of a baby laying on an open rose. If you have this pattern, I would like to purchase it from you. I made my oldest daughter a baby quilt using this pattern and it has gone to shreds now and i would like to make her another one for child...Thank you
    Check out this google link Jeanette. It has a few babies on flowers you could check into or maybe get free to copy.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...mg.53BEdRGyGlg
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    I have put old wooden threads into ginger jar lamps for my sewing area...the silky threads I use to tie charity quilts and do embroidery.
    The best kind of sleep from Heaven above...
    is under a quilt homemade with LOVE!

I'd try out the iron on transfers to see if they work. They are for hand embroidery, I think like on a dishtowel. As others have said, test the thread. Thread on a wooden spool is easily 30 + years old. I wouldn't use it, but others might want it to collect, you could probably sell them.

Blog Entries
    mimmy 96, as far as the iron ons go they can be used forever. I've had some for over 30 years and are still good. When one gets a little light transfer then I go over it with a transfer pencil. Looks like the thread on the wood spools is tatting thread.The red ones. If you decide to get rid of the patterns or the red thread , let me know. OK?
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

the transfers last forever and if they don't you can buy a transfer pencil to refresh them

The prewound bobbins look like they are size L, which can be used in most domestic machines you just pop the cardboard off and use them in the bobbin holder. I use these all the time instead of winding bobbins. They hold a lot more thread than any bobbin that you can wind yourself.

The bobbins are a nylon thread that can be used for couching as a decoration, or used for hand embroidery or big stitch quilting with a needle.

I have found that with some of those older embroidery patterns that the ink no longer transfers so you will have to test them.

The paper bobbins are still available. If your machine will handle them, they save time from winding bobbins. Just pop a paper one and move right on.

Blog Entries
    Please don't throw them away. Some of us drool over things like that. Use the thread for decoration as some have suggested and the patterns could go to your public library if they sell used items. Mine does and I always stop by the needlework section to see what I can find for sale. My library even sells old clothing patterns. Love it.

They look like top stitching thread. There are some people that have been looking for it & it just isn't available easily. Years ago the top stitching thread was used in sewing garments for one as an embellishment. Every now & then I see a pattern that has called for it. Don't throw them out, I am sure someone can use them.

Well I think I will just keep my "my treasures" ... I do like embroidery, just have never used transfers.. but I am sure I will give it a try and see! As far as the tread... They are still in pretty good shape (thread does not break easy) so I think for now I will hang on to them!!!.. but I will keep those in mind that have asked for them if I ever do get rid of! Thank you everyone!!!

Blog Entries
    I recognize the thread on the small wooden spools - it is for top stitching or embroidery - My mom had those for top stitching back in the 1950's I would take care about breakage - 20 years ago I had to part with a large collection of my mother;s thread as it broke almost with touching - but I didn't think at the time to keep the spools . . darn!

Blog Entries
    I have a bunch of those old thread spools and i also put them in a glass jar and have them on my self in my sewing room.

always loved the iron design that they featured
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

I have a collection of those old iron-on transfers that belonged to my grandmother, most probably most from the 30s-50s. I used quite a few starting in the 70s to do hand-embroidery. They still work but I just keep them for nostalgia since I do embroidery by machine now. I also have a large glass jar filled with wooden thread spools on display in my sewing room.

throw them my way!!!! I love those old embroidery patterns. Even if they are too old to iron on, I keep a pencil for tracing them to iron on some more.

The paper bobbins are disposable pre-filled bobbins. Once used, toss the empty paper. These were popular at one time.

What beautiful spools!! Put them in some sort of display in your sewing room and just enjoy looking at them. I would!

The iron-ons probably still work unless they were stored in a very hot attic or something. Then they may be dried out.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast