Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts.... >

Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts....

Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts....

Old 12-04-2010, 06:31 AM

We decided years ago to quit buying for each of the brothers and SIL's and just buy for the kids, but every year I make something for everyone some small something and just hand them out at our Christmas gathering I don't even wrap them and everyone is happy and they don't feel bad about not buying me something. It works for me. They probably made their decision because they are short of money this year seems like everyone is and this is there way of helping those that don't have the money to buy gifts. Your gifts are beautiful and will be greatly apprenciated no sense in starting hard feeling this time of year. JMHO.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

You did do lots and lots and lots of work on those gifts. Wow - I am awestruck at your productivity. Are the other family members as organized?

Have you vented to your DH yet? What was his response?

The reason for the change may be due to some/one of the other family members finances. My overall feelings about the change would depend on the basic reason for it.

If it has become burdensome for some of the members, this may be the year to change. After the dust settles, you may find this to be a huge relief - if it's agreed to - say at this Christmas gathering - instead of the December preceding the gathering.

Are the gifts suitable to be given at other times of the year? Such as birthdays or valentines day?

There is a huge difference between "a gift" and "an exchange"

I think it would be a joy to just gather at someone's home - potluck for the food - and plan on playing board games, watch videos, sing carols, maybe play outside (we just got about four inches of snow during the night) - and get reacquainted with the cousins and uncles and aunties.

With no presents/gifts involved.

And - radical thought - go to church to celebrate on Christmas Eve or Christmas morning.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:50 AM

[/quote] A few years ago my kids decided that they would draw names of just the kids and not do adults. I told them I chose not to participate. I still do gifts for everyone. Some years I sew everyone something, some years I bake each one their favorite goodie. This year is different, but they will each get a gift of something from me, however small.[/quote]

Grann of 6 I'm with you. I like to get all my family members, adults and kids a gift. If money or time is tight I can always come up with a little something for everyone, young or old. I'll be seeing my brother and sisters and their families tomorrow for our annual Holiday lunch. I have a fruit bread for my brother and one for each of my sisters and a gingerbread boy baggie filled with cookies and candy for the kids. My sister Pat calls me Mrs. Santa when I hand out the gifts after our lunch.
May in Jersey
Old 12-04-2010, 07:10 AM

Give the gifts especially the one's for the children - they are so cute.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:12 AM

In the true spirit of the holidays, I would give the gifts as originally planned. For me, the happiness is in the giving and seeing the delight on someone's face. I would also join in the White Elephant and have fun!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:20 AM

Birthday gifts.... ready made. How rude of them to change gift giving AFTER your dh told them what you were doing. Sounds sneaky to me...but that is just my devil on my shoulder speaking.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:30 AM

Sounds Like SIL was jealous of you being able to make nice gifts.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:34 AM

I'd still give the gifts - with a smile. Just say that you had already made them so you were going to give them. I wonder if maybe some of them just don't have the finances this year. I know it's rough for a lot of people.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I would go ahead and give the gifts as planned.
Find a white elephant gift and join in on the fun.
Maybe hand them the gifts as you are all leaving, and wish them a heartfelt Merry Christmas. Don't let their inconsideration bother you, or your Christmas spirit :wink: :D:D:D
This would be such a tasteful way of addressing it. (In my view.)
The gift is in the giving, don't let them take your Christmas spirit away.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I would go ahead and give the gifts as planned.
Find a white elephant gift and join in on the fun.
Maybe hand them the gifts as you are all leaving, and wish them a heartfelt Merry Christmas. Don't let their inconsideration bother you, or your Christmas spirit :wink: :D:D:D
I agree with amma. Give them the gifts and feel good about yourself! I don't like garage idea!