Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pansy Kaleidoscopes >

Pansy Kaleidoscopes

Pansy Kaleidoscopes

Old 04-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by littlehud
How big do you make your Kaleidoscope blocks?

I make mine 8 1/2" unfinished just the Kaleidoscope. I don't do big quilts tho I have made them into hot pads and the small ones are 4" and I make them into coasters or keychains. I am adding one to the front of a canvas tote I bought at Hobby Lobby.

I do my own templates to suit myself but you can use a dresden plate pattern to make them just make sure you use a clear plastic for the template so you can see the fabric thru the template and trace the features of the fabric so you can move it to the next repeat.
Thanks for the info. I bought some fabric just for this. I can't wait to get started.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:36 AM

Beautiful!! Where do I get the book/pattern and instructions? Any one book better than another? And how do you sew together? Full of question, I know but I have not seen this before... truely lovely!!!
Old 05-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
Beautiful!! Where do I get the book/pattern and instructions? Any one book better than another? And how do you sew together? Full of question, I know but I have not seen this before... truely lovely!!!
The directions for this( Dresden made Kaleidoscopes) is few and far between. I originally saw it on Simply Quilts but can't tell you the episode
You can google for Dresden Kaleidoscopes. The only thing I saw were stack and whack which is differant.

I am releasing my second EBook hopefully yet this month and I chose to do it on my Dresden Kaleidoscopes. It is a how to guide to do this my way and 8 patterns to use them in

You can google for Kaleidoscopes and Dresdens but other than the one on Simply Quilts I didn't see anything like it. That is not to say it isn't out there but I have my own spin on things that have come from doing them for almost 15 years.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-16-2009, 02:49 PM

Thanks Rhonda! Will wait and buy your ebook. BTW-is your newest avitar Boston Blocks... You do GREAT work! :D :D :D
Old 05-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
Thanks Rhonda! Will wait and buy your ebook. BTW-is your newest avitar Boston Blocks... You do GREAT work! :D :D :D
Thanks! My avatar is a quilt block I designed on my EQ5 and it uses a differant "Block" than the Boston Block. It is made with the cut down method just like the Boston but it is a block that is a variation on my Star Point Block.

Actually the "Block" is not named yet and I haven't actually made it yet.
The quilt block I named Ice Blue Diamonds but I haven't had time to make it yet. They are still in the design stage but I wanted something differant to look at and share so I put this one on my avatar. I hope to find time soon to make it. I know how it will go together I just haven't had time to play with it yet.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

These remind me of jenny Beyer quilts. Lovely blocks Rhonda.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
These remind me of jenny Beyer quilts. Lovely blocks Rhonda.
Thanks Red Ganett22 Actually designing is my first love. I can spend hours playing with blocks and quilt blocks on my EQ5. I have probably over a 1000 of such quilt blocks on my EQ5. I'm always trying new colors and blocks and I love the what if question. What if I turn this this way and what if I add this "block" to this "block".
I have several that I haven't done yet on a list of my quilt blocks I want to see made up one of these days!
Old 05-16-2009, 04:42 PM

These are so beautiful. Looks hard, or is there a easy way to make them?
Old 05-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by txwildflower
These are so beautiful. Looks hard, or is there a easy way to make them?
Thanks! These Kaleidoscopes are not hard to make. I think they are easier than sewing quilt blocks. And quilt blocks are not hard to make!

The trick for the ones I make is picking out an interesting section to repeat. It is fun once you get the hang of it. I love to see what will come next! You never know what they will look like til you sew them together!

Old 05-17-2009, 09:46 AM

Rhonda----since I'm new here I don't know what your web site is called. Can you post it so we can look?????? :lol:

Thanks