Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR QUILT!!!! I BLEW IT!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/warning-do-not-try-your-quilt-i-blew-t63562.html)

mygirl66 09-08-2010 04:54 AM

Go to the dollar store, and get this stuff called AWESOME, it works on everything!

#1piecemaker 09-08-2010 04:56 AM

Rubbing achohol is the only thing I know of to use. Next time you are marking use a lead pencil. I shows up really well and will come out easily. I have even left it in and still showed a quilt and won. Sorry about your boo boo.

Rettie V. Grama 09-08-2010 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
I was brave. I told myself these ink marks will come out with hair spray. Yes, I really badly wanted to mark my quilt with an ink pen for precise quilting! It soaked for 2 days in ammonia, scrubbed with tooth brushes endlessly and sprayed with the cheapest grade of hair spray (that works the best) and still there are INK PEN MARKS ON MY QUILT!!! yikes. :oops: I've scrubbed with everything and think I have actually set the ink in for good. :? :oops: I'll wash it 100 times and it'll be gone! ;) :cry:

Sorry about your quilt. Seems to me that the ink has concentrated in the batting. I'm sure eventually it will wash out (unless you used a permanent marker). If you want the marking to wash out, and want to use ink try a PILOT G-2 07. It washes out immediately has a very fine point and can be purchased in different colors. Don't ever use a Pigma MICRON, it never washes out.

mosquitosewgirl 09-08-2010 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr

Originally Posted by watterstide
oh man! why an ink pen? back in the day, didn't they use pencils? i use chalk or a disappearing pen.
washable crayloa markers have been used with great success.
so sorry this happened to your quilt... :cry:

I can't stand what they have on the market! None of it is for fine lines like I love. Do they make water soluble pens? If so, they probably are not fine line enough for me. I've always gotten the ink out before with hair spray.

:oops: :oops:

Sorry that this happened to your beautiful quilt! There are lots of good suggestions. I've used hydrogen peroxide to get ink stains out of my husband's dress shirts...

As for quilting pens/chalk on the market, I love my Sewline....depending on the color of the 'leads' that you buy, it marks dark or light enough to be seen, you can get them in really fine point and they wash out really well.

MaggieLou 09-08-2010 06:55 AM

Try Carbona for ink. I've used it to get stains out I couldn't get out any other way. You can find it at WalMart and most grocery stores with the cleaning products.

GrannieAnnie 09-08-2010 07:15 AM

Would it be possible for you to find a heavy dark thread and machine quilt over your ink lines? Look at your quilt-------the dark designs in the big blocks are not ugly even though they are ink. If it's not a huge amount of work, maybe even an embroidered backstitch might hide your ink. Even if it's a bunch of work, it might well be worth it to keep you happyy

clonesfan2 09-08-2010 07:18 AM

My mother used to fix up childrens dresses and sometimes the repair was that it had ink on it. She used a cleaner called Lestoil and it seemed to work well. I'm not sure if it is still made, but it might be worth a try. Good luck

MOMBASIL53 09-08-2010 07:45 AM

try rubbing alcohol...we use it at work to get ink marks off of our desks and clothing.

midwestqltr 09-08-2010 08:04 AM

You need to be careful with some of the fabric marking pencils, as well. Several years ago I made a tote bag and used a yellow one to mark my quilting pattern and to this day, after multiple washings, the yellow pencil marks show.

Just tell people it is part of the design.

RedGarnet222 09-08-2010 08:06 AM

I can't help you this time. But I posted a product for you in the main topic section. I found it last july at the quilt show.
I am so sorry this happened to you.