Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR QUILT!!!! I BLEW IT!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/warning-do-not-try-your-quilt-i-blew-t63562.html)

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by hexagonquilter
I would try peroxide. it takes out a ton of stains.

I tried this last night, but a second application would be needed. I was afraid of it lightening the fabric with another dose. :-D

Chasing Hawk 09-08-2010 09:06 AM

I use colored pencils to mark lines, washes out easily.

Good luck on removing the ink, even if it just lightens up enough not to notice.

feline fanatic 09-08-2010 09:17 AM

For fine lines get the fons and porter mechanical pencil. It makes a very fine line. I have only used the white "leads" and believe me it comes out, too well! I marked a lot of a quilt before starting to hand quilt it and all the marks were gone by the time I finished with my first hoopful. I love the pencil so now I mark each area just before I'm about to quilt it.

I have never had problems with white chalks coming out but I have had problems with yellows and blues.

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Virginia

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
I was brave. I told myself these ink marks will come out with hair spray. Yes, I really badly wanted to mark my quilt with an ink pen for precise quilting! It soaked for 2 days in ammonia, scrubbed with tooth brushes endlessly and sprayed with the cheapest grade of hair spray (that works the best) and still there are INK PEN MARKS ON MY QUILT!!! yikes. :oops: I've scrubbed with everything and think I have actually set the ink in for good. :? :oops: I'll wash it 100 times and it'll be gone! ;) :cry:

Sorry about your quilt. Seems to me that the ink has concentrated in the batting. I'm sure eventually it will wash out (unless you used a permanent marker). If you want the marking to wash out, and want to use ink try a PILOT G-2 07. It washes out immediately has a very fine point and can be purchased in different colors. Don't ever use a Pigma MICRON, it never washes out.

Thank you for the tip on the Pilot pen!! I love those pens. I knew there were some out there that I could use. I did not use a permanent marker. It was a Pentel RSVP purple ink pen. I only use the Pigmas for permanent art. Thank you so much, Virginia, I'll try that. I love Sharpie's fine point pens too but won't dare try that. lol. :D :D

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
Go to the dollar store, and get this stuff called AWESOME, it works on everything!

Thank you!! Someone else did mention that product!!

:-D :-D

quiltmaker 09-08-2010 09:25 AM

Wishing you all the best in getting the ink out. We all have to learn one way or the other and unfortunately it's usually painful.

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
Wishing you all the best in getting the ink out. We all have to learn one way or the other and unfortunately it's usually painful.

Thank you, quiltmaker!! Getting ready to try the lighter fluid. I have to close my eyes though at the thought of putting it on my mini.

:oops: :oops:

I already passed on the lt. fluid. I just couldn't do it. I tried the rubbing alcohol and it highlighted everything well. Maybe when dry, it'll be gone!! lol.

dsj 09-08-2010 09:38 AM

We all make mistakes but that's how we learn so really it's a good thing for all of us out here to pay attention too these types of issues that come up. I am always trying to figure out how to get marks off of things. It just stinks when it happens to something you really like. Lot's of ladies marked their tops with regular pencils because that is all they had and those marks are still on those quilts. It gives it more character and tells a story. There is always a sunnyside to a mistake.

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by dsj
We all make mistakes but that's how we learn so really it's a good thing for all of us out here to pay attention too these types of issues that come up. I am always trying to figure out how to get marks off of things. It just stinks when it happens to something you really like. Lot's of ladies marked their tops with regular pencils because that is all they had and those marks are still on those quilts. It gives it more character and tells a story. There is always a sunnyside to a mistake.

You are so right! I now have more appreciation for the good old pencil - it worked well for them and is just as good today!

:-D :-D

feline fanatic 09-08-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr

Originally Posted by quiltmaker

Thank you, quiltmaker!! Getting ready to try the lighter fluid. I have to close my eyes though at the thought of putting it on my mini.

:oops: :oops:

Don't use lighter fluid if your batting is polyester!! It will melt it.