Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR QUILT!!!! I BLEW IT!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/warning-do-not-try-your-quilt-i-blew-t63562.html)

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr

Originally Posted by sewgull
Rub rubbing alcohol. So sorry about the boo-boo.

oh, thank you, sewgulll! I'll try that. I'll try mayo, lemonade, murphy's oil soap, etc.

:D

When I worked as a nurse's aide we used to soak our uniforms in milk if we got an ink stain. It will take out blood too. We also used Peri-care if you know a nurse you could ask if you can get some. It works wonders on ink but it is an institution product not on the open market that I know of.

Thank you, Rhonda, for those good tips!! I had remembered milk as an old-time remedy for removing ink and blood but I had never tried that before. Hair spray always did the trick in the past, but not this time. :oops: Yes, I've heard of Peri-care and it's nice to know for those who have access to it or want to try it. Thank you, Rhonda!! :D :D

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by dvseals
I had this pen with black ink and every time I used it I'd end up with ink on everything.
I'd wash my hands and scrub with all sorts of soaps etc didn't help one bit.
Then one day dummy me grabbed that pen again and yup you guessed it ink everywhere.
I had gotten a bottle of Awesome
and said "self.. it's the only thing you've not tried."

So I spritz my hands with Awesome ran warm water over them and ink was gone. Didn't even have to rub hands together.

OMG, what a miracle product that is!! Want to try this one too!! Thank you so much for this great tip, dvseals!!

:-D :-D p.s. your GC are just adorable!!

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by champagnebubbles
oh so sorry

Thank you!! I'm not worried though! Something will work!!

:-D :-D ;)

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Your Quilt is Beautiful, good luck with the ink, could call it a design choice, freedom of expressions, a new trend in quilting... :)

Thank you so much, C.Cal Quilt Girl!! I wish I could call it a new trend but from a distance I still see INK, yikes. lol.

:D :D

SandyMac 09-08-2010 08:37 AM

I'm so sorry. All of our hearts are breaking for you :cry:

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
1quilt_gma,
Thanks for the tip to bookmark the topic, I didn't know yet to do that!

I'm soooo sorry this happened to your quilt and all your effort, what a downer :thumbdown:

But, as an encouragement, let me tell you about an antique quilt from the Civil War era that I saw in a MUSEUM once. It had the pencil marks still showing on the face of it 130 years after it was made, but that beautiful quilt was proudly hung where all could see and admire it.
Love yours anyway!

Jan in VA

Yes, bookmark anything you want!! Right click on the pics to save and download all you want! Thank you so much, Jan, for that encouraging note!! Pencil marks showing can be equalled to great quilts!! I'll remember that!! Should've used my quilting pencils but Pilots and Sharpies make me happy!!
:-D :-D :-D ;)

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 08:48 AM

]

oh, thank you, sewgulll! I'll try that. I'll try mayo, lemonade, murphy's oil soap, etc.

:D[/quote]

In my reply to sewgull, I was just trying to be funny with the mayo, lemonade and murphy's oil soap (facetious) but some took me seriously I see.
:oops: :oops:

Someone PMed me this a.m. with the only logical solution! Since inks are petroleum based, LIGHTER FLUID would definitely remove them! I would hope the vapors would evaporate quick though. lol. then I'll rinse it in a fragrantly scented solution AND HOPE IT DOESN'T IGNITE!! LOL.. :-D :-D

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby's Girl

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr

Originally Posted by Bobby's Girl
Buy a can of "Spray and Wash," now renamed "Resolve," and a box of Biz powder. (Get the aerosol, not the pump refill.) Spray the fabric, let it set for 10 minutes or so, then soak it in Biz dissolved in enough warm water to cover it. The soaking might take a day or two. Slosh (move) the quilt around in the Biz water a few times a day. When I taught school, I got ballpoint ink on my clothes daily, and it always came out using those products.

Thank you, Bobby's Girl, for this nice tip!! Spray and Wash is nice but I found Oxyclean to beat that a mile. Oxyclean will remove old set-in stains! We can't get Biz powder in our location. Perhaps Naphtha Soap will work. It's always been advertised to get out the toughest stains! Will let you know if this works when I try. Thank you so much for this help!!

:D

For removing a stain, Oxyclean works, but using Spray and Wash on ballpoint pen ink isn't the same as removing a stain. I don't know what's in it that makes it remove ink, but it works. If the ink is fresh, just spraying it causes it to start fading.

Thanks for that tip!! Oxyclean is the best!! My hair spray started the ink spreading and made it worse and I have never had that happen before!

**Here's a great tip with Spray and Wash:**

I never use Spray and Wash for its intended purpose but keep it handy only for keeping the chrome polished in the bathroom. There's no hard work involved. Spray and Wash automatically spiffs up the shine on chrome!!! Finish it off when dried with a soft cloth. It'll sparkle!!

;)

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by BARES
You might try glycerin. Rub it into the areas and let stand for 20 minutes. Then wash with dishwashing liquid. Hope you find a solution. It is a beautiful quilt and thanks for a lesson for us all.

I do have glycerin on hand and will try that!! Thank you so much for reminding me of the glycerin (I use to dry flowers)!!

:D :D ;)

hexagonquilter 09-08-2010 08:58 AM

I would try peroxide. it takes out a ton of stains.