Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR QUILT!!!! I BLEW IT!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/warning-do-not-try-your-quilt-i-blew-t63562.html)

Willie Mae 09-08-2010 09:46 AM

I had the same thing happen to me, mark with a red pen that said would come out with water, I tried everything without success. The best pen I found that works like a charm is Frixion. erasable gel pel, run a hot iron over it and disapears like magic. You can buy them at Walgreens, or Office Max. Make by Pilot. I found them once at Wal Mart, but can't fine them there anymore. Any kind of heat works, can you use a blow dryer too. I use a little craft iron. They come in these colors: blue, black, orange, and pink, no white. Your quilt is really pretty, I hope you have better luck than I did.

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
Wishing you all the best in getting the ink out. We all have to learn one way or the other and unfortunately it's usually painful.

Thank you, quiltmaker!! Getting ready to try the lighter fluid. I have to close my eyes though at the thought of putting it on my mini.

:oops: :oops:

Don't use lighter fluid if your batting is polyester!! It will melt it.

I'm so glad I passed it up knowing this!! Yes, it's polyester. I just couldn't fathom doing this. Thank you so much!

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
For fine lines get the fons and porter mechanical pencil. It makes a very fine line. I have only used the white "leads" and believe me it comes out, too well! I marked a lot of a quilt before starting to hand quilt it and all the marks were gone by the time I finished with my first hoopful. I love the pencil so now I mark each area just before I'm about to quilt it.

I have never had problems with white chalks coming out but I have had problems with yellows and blues.

Oh, thank you for that tip on their mechanical. I'll have to try. Yes, I have had problems with those quilting pencils before not coming the blues and yellows. I think regular pencil lines once got smudged I couldn't even see where they had been!

:D

dsj 09-08-2010 09:53 AM

I think I would just leave it alone at this point, it's a conversation piece now, it's not as bad as you might think it is. Maybe try some lemon juice and just the good old sun. Lighter fluid and the petroleum products just sound so harsh and smell bad too. The more washes that you do will probably fade it out a bit don't you think? Don't hurt the poor little thing it's just a brand new little quilt!

katiebear1 09-08-2010 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
oh man! why an ink pen? back in the day, didn't they use pencils? i use chalk or a disappearing pen.
washable crayloa markers have been used with great success.
so sorry this happened to your quilt... :cry:

I have thought of trying the crayola markers. have you tried them?

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by katiebear1

Originally Posted by watterstide
oh man! why an ink pen? back in the day, didn't they use pencils? i use chalk or a disappearing pen.
washable crayloa markers have been used with great success.
so sorry this happened to your quilt... :cry:

I have thought of trying the crayola markers. have you tried them?

Not yet. I will try and find 'very fine point' crayolas. The washable kind and I'll be safe that way for sure.

:-D

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by dsj
I think I would just leave it alone at this point, it's a conversation piece now, it's not as bad as you might think it is. Maybe try some lemon juice and just the good old sun. Lighter fluid and the petroleum products just sound so harsh and smell bad too. The more washes that you do will probably fade it out a bit don't you think? Don't hurt the poor little thing it's just a brand new little quilt!

Unfortunately, it's very visible from a distance. I wish I was the type that could just leave it go or camouflage it with a heavier thread but I'm not. I would like to think a lot of washings will remove it but that's a weak hope for now. We'll check to see how the rubbing alcohol is doing its work soon. I couldn't bare the thoughts of lighter fluids so passed on anything real harsh.

:D

pbreon 09-08-2010 10:14 AM

Believe it or not sometimes WD-40 will lift out ink.... try it in s small place then wash with mild detergent.

I had a carpet cleaner tell me this when I asked him what was he using in the can that was covered with duct tape.... and also from the auto store, an engine cleaning product you spray on and rinse it quicklie... Yes, that was the 2 products he had tapped with the duct tape....I was so surprised and now when I have a stain I use it and it works!!!Especially if it is a petrolium based ink!! just try a small spot first... its worth a try than having to rid the quilt....

misseva 09-08-2010 10:28 AM

go to here http://daystyledesigns.com/finelinepen.htm
i use fineline blue pens with great success. you can get water removable and air removable which disappears in (i forget how many) a few hours.

n2scraplvr 09-08-2010 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by pbreon
Believe it or not sometimes WD-40 will lift out ink.... try it in s small place then wash with mild detergent.

I had a carpet cleaner tell me this when I asked him what was he using in the can that was covered with duct tape.... and also from the auto store, an engine cleaning product you spray on and rinse it quicklie... Yes, that was the 2 products he had tapped with the duct tape....I was so surprised and now when I have a stain I use it and it works!!!Especially if it is a petrolium based ink!! just try a small spot first... its worth a try than having to rid the quilt....

BTW, the rubbing alcohol did good but it didn't lift it all so maybe the WD-40 will lift it all up.

You know you are so right!! I just love WD-40 and have used it in more ways than one!! I'm going to go put the fine mist tube on it and spray! Be right back to let you know.

:D :D