Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR QUILT!!!! I BLEW IT!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/warning-do-not-try-your-quilt-i-blew-t63562.html)

zz-pd 09-08-2010 10:34 PM

I am so sorry, they do have a fine line blue ink for quilting, that comes out with water. God bless.

Annya 09-09-2010 02:09 AM

I have an idea-- Why done you sew over the ink spots in the dark color and make it look like the actual quilting. That way it will not show so badly. Sorry didn't see the follow up stories. Have you tried using buttermilk. I also heard that mayonnaise gets rid of pen properly too. Give it a try and see if that works before continuing the acetone.

jitkaau 09-09-2010 03:46 AM

Try to make a big feature of it with thick thread on bits you can turn into chunky sashiko stitches, or cover it up with fabric paint or extra embellishment. You could end up with a really funky quilt if you put ribbon, paint,ink dyes or beading on it.

Bev 09-09-2010 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by finch
I used the chalk on a purse pattern and it would not come out,no matter what I did. That was a lesson learned for me,so I know how you must feel. So sorry about your quilt. It is still very pretty.

I just used a "washable" marking pencil (blue) for some dolly clothes for my granddaughter's American Girl doll. Guess what? The same problem. I've tried everything. Thank gosh it wasn't one of my quilts, and I only used a little on some small dots that needed to match up. But the dress is very sheer pink and the marks show through. My new favorite motto is .. TRUST NOTHING!! So sorry about yours. I hope some of these ideas work for you. :roll:

Aunt Retta 09-09-2010 07:22 AM

Try the aresoul (Sp) Spray and Wash. Sometimes it is hard to find ( I could not get it in Phoenix) But my mother is an expert stain remover and she has gotten lots of thick ink, like when a pen explodes, out of many different things with it...I have even used it on a few things!

n2scraplvr 09-09-2010 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by KandiKane
ty 4 the ww..and let us know what worked ..lol with all that had responded.. and all the products used hope you still have the quilt.. I would try on another old cloth before doing the quilt .. good luck..

KandiKane :roll:

Your welcome, KandiKane!! We're so glad you found us! This is a great site and the people are super!! Yes, I hate I had to try so many different things, but even our failproof items fail us so testing first on scraps is the lesson learned and secondly not to trust everything we counted on before -- even they can fail. Thank you!!!

:D :D

dsj 09-09-2010 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
Final results are in!!

Yippie!!! It looks great. I love that little block. You have to frame it and treasure it. I am sure it will make you smile when you walk by it every day from this day forward. It's gone through a lot in its little life of being a treasure. You have to document the story of course that you had the whole world trying to fix the ink problem. Don't forget to put the recipe for the ink be-gone with it. WD-40 and lot's of prayers. We can all calm down now. Have a good day everyone!!!

n2scraplvr 09-09-2010 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bev

Originally Posted by finch
I used the chalk on a purse pattern and it would not come out,no matter what I did. That was a lesson learned for me,so I know how you must feel. So sorry about your quilt. It is still very pretty.

I just used a "washable" marking pencil (blue) for some dolly clothes for my granddaughter's American Girl doll. Guess what? The same problem. I've tried everything. Thank gosh it wasn't one of my quilts, and I only used a little on some small dots that needed to match up. But the dress is very sheer pink and the marks show through. My new favorite motto is .. TRUST NOTHING!! So sorry about yours. I hope some of these ideas work for you. :roll:

I have one too that marks blue and I don't like it. I think it failed me once if I recall. One white pencil to mark on dark fabs I haven't tried yet or the silver pencil I haven't tried. I'll go for the Pilot G207 ink pen that comes out with water. You know you are so right!! In today's market, we can TRUST NOTHING! My aerosol hair spray failed me so anything can fail us we've depended upon. Therefore, try a sample test first on scraps!! We live and we learn.....so sorry about the marks on the sheer dress but you were lucky it wasn't a quilt! Nothing is as it's claimed to be today!!

:-D :-D

n2scraplvr 09-09-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by dsj

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
Final results are in!!

Yippie!!! It looks great. I love that little block. You have to frame it and treasure it. I am sure it will make you smile when you walk by it every day from this day forward. It's gone through a lot in its little life of being a treasure. You have to document the story of course that you had the whole world trying to fix the ink problem. Don't forget to put the recipe for the ink be-gone with it. WD-40 and lot's of prayers. We can all calm down now. Have a good day everyone!!!

Praise the Lord!! It is finished!! Yes, I'll smile when I think of all its applications it has had!! It was at the doctor's for 2 days!!! haha. We can all take a breather now. Lessons learned:

1) don't trust anything you've counted on before! It CAN FAIL!
2) always test it out FIRST on scraps!
3) don't mix chemicals together! Let each layer dry separately!
4) don't inhale the chemicals! They are dangerous and many are cancer-causing agents!
5) if you use Acetone, cover your nose first! Do not inhale it!!
6) if you use WD-40, don't inhale those fumes!
7) After using WD-40, soak the article in ammonia/vinegar solution to rid the smell.
8) Line dry the item on the clothesline in the SUN! It's a purifier!
9) Just because the quilting mfg. says so doesn't mean it's true!
10) Use caution along with good judgment and wisdom
11) Gently dab the article with Qtips dipped in Acetone. If it does bleach the fabric any, it won't be so noticeable! (one person noted that Acetone did bleach their item).
12) Before trying a product with a great sounding name, check the ingredients first! What's in this thing that could harm my fabric?
13) Be wise on all your shopping trips and purchases!

Thank you, dsj, for all your super support and encouraging words! Praise God, we recovered and the mini is resting fine from all that surgery!! Hope everyone will be more cautious now on the products we use and things we do!!
:-D :-D.....especially me.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

dsj 09-09-2010 08:36 AM

Now you have me worried about you and your health from all those fumes!! How are you feeling? are you light headed, dizzy feeling, thirsty, hungry, I'm sure you are tired from all of it. That was a lot of work for you?
You are right mixing all that can be a little dangerous I suppose. We need to have your list of things to becareful of as a permanent fixture on the board. I have a passion for what we all do. Quilts are not only a link to our history but our future as well. They can sure brighten a day.