Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt for ailing friend

Question Quilt for ailing friend

A few weeks ago I had a dear friend who was hit by a car. She broke her tailbone in 2 places, fractured pelvis and a variety of other things. She is in for a LONG recovery. When I spoke with her, she said that seeing friends and family around has helped keep her spirits up so much. Living 8 hours away, I wanted to see her but there just isn't any way to get there and back again...and thus her quilt was born.

I raided all the old pictures I could find, loaded them into Picasa, made several collages, and today finally had the free time to piece the top! I plan on simply tying the layers together, otherwise she won't get this in time to help with recovery which leads to my question-- the backing is purple. Tie it with purple yarn so it all blends, or go with something to make it pop? Any suggestions?

Name:  Joannas Blanket 009.JPG
Views: 3974
Size:  1.29 MB

Name:  Joannas Blanket 008.JPG
Views: 3990
Size:  1.30 MB

Blog Entries
    You did a great job for your BFF. She will treasure it, during her recovery.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Blog Entries
    What a perfect gift! There is no doubt this will help keep her spirits up; you a true and wonderful friend!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

if you tie it with the turquoise I think it would look great! What an awesome friend you are she will love it and really feel your love for her. Extra special
    Paula

Great quilt, she will love it!! I agree I think turquoise would look really good.

It's beautiful and she will love it forever! Best of luck to her on her full recovery! You are a truly good friend!

Oh my gosh, this quilt is going to make her feel so very loved! You will be with her every minute of every day as she recovers. Glad you are going to tie it so you can get it to her fast. Clapping for the wonderful job you have done on it so far.

Kat

What a perfect gift!

Blog Entries
    what a great friend you are...quilt is lovely. you can tack it with thread by setting the stitch width to zero and then going over and over in the same place. Anyway you do it, she will love it.

Wow, your friend will love that quilt and it will lift her spirits. I like the idea of using purple thread which will keep the emphasis on the photos. Beautiful, she will treasure it for years.

Lovely and thoughtful quilt! I think purple ties would look really pretty! and not distract from the pictures

What a beautiful gesture you are making for your friend. The photos will help her remember happy times and, perhaps, not focus as much on her injuries. I think thread tacking with purple using your machine would be the quickest, easiest way to go.

What a great friend you are and this is the perfect recovery gift!!!!!!

Love it - it won't replace you being there - but hopefully it will bring lots of love to her recovery :-)
    (turquoise ties IMHO)

This is a wonderful quilt and even better story.
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

I, too, think turquoise would look fantastic to tie it with. You could also just stitch 1/2 inch around each picture block. That wouldn't take long to do & then tie in between each block also. I think that would really make the pictures pop. It is a beautiful quilt & your dear friend will treasure it forever.

I vote purple. I think your quilt and thoughts are awesome.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I, too, think turquoise would look fantastic to tie it with. You could also just stitch 1/2 inch around each picture block. That wouldn't take long to do & then tie in between each block also. I think that would really make the pictures pop. It is a beautiful quilt & your dear friend will treasure it forever.
    I would suggest adding a narrow border of the turquoise to bring the eye to the edge, then birth the quilt, and stitch in the ditch around the border so it looks like binding. (Its fast and easy to do but faux binding gives such a finished look.) Then stitch around each picture to make them stand out as Halo suggested. Then I'd tie it with purple or machine tack it.
    Its a beautiful quilt and you are a beautiful friend!
    Last edited by Just Jan; 02-17-2013 at 04:14 AM.

Great job!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

What a nice idea and your friend will love it. I think turquoise will really make it pop!
    Deanne Ellen

Quilts,Books,and Wine,Oh My!

Perfect..just what she will need, and I agree...turquoise for the ties!!!

Power Poster
    wow what a nice quilt hope she does well in her recovery!!
    QUILTNMO

Quote Originally Posted by joym View Post
    what a great friend you are...quilt is lovely. you can tack it with thread by setting the stitch width to zero and then going over and over in the same place. Anyway you do it, she will love it.
    My machine has a tiny star motif stitch that I've used to tack quilts. This works well on quillows. Have also used the little circle meant to be used for eyelets. Also have set the zigzag to satin stitch and make a short (like 1/8") tack.

I love your idea for the top. She will cherish that quilt.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by emsunfire View Post
    if you tie it with the turquoise I think it would look great! What an awesome friend you are she will love it and really feel your love for her. Extra special
    Ditto. My first thought was the turquoise. You are a good friend. She will love it I am sure. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

All the suggestions sound good ideas. I was thinking that since so much is purple, and you have the turquoise squares maybe a gold/yellow that pick up that color in the fabric might add some interest too if you want to tie it. Or tie it with a variety of purple, turquoise, and yellow. I'm sure how ever you finish it, it will be wonderful and we all agree she will love it, and it will help her heal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast