Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilter's gifting anxiety >

Quilter's gifting anxiety

Quilter's gifting anxiety

Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by grendelskin
I recently completed this quilt, intended for one of my dearest friends. Trouble is, she knows her stuff and I'm terrified to give it to her since I'm no master. So the question is: is it wrong to lightly say something to the effect that it's a token of affection and that little things like technical ability should be kindly overlooked until I get around to making her next one?
No need to make any comments about your ability. ( I do the same thing and wish I can keep my big mouth shut and not show my insecurities.) But I really understand how you feel.
What strikes me about your quilt is the lovely balance of color. Some quilts scream at me, and I don't want to look at them a long time. But your color placement is very pleasing, and I can keep on looking at it and appreciating what its saying over and over.
Your friend will love you for your gift, which is beautiful.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. It was made with love and pride and shows, now give it to her without questioning yourself. Well done.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:09 AM

The quilt is beautiful! The most important this is that you thought enough and loved enough to make this beautiful quilt. When we get to heaven God isn't going to ask us about our perfect quilts but rather how many were used in love. Love of a friend, love or a child, love toward someone cold and homeless. If my quilts are loved to pieces and tatters than I've fulfilled my reason for giving. Be blessed bunches.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:26 AM

It's really very lovely! I understand the anxiety...I just mailed my first block swap off this week. While I'm okay with my sewing/quilting/fabric choices, it is always nerve wracking to think of someone else looking at it. I took a deep breath, mailed it and hope she is not a member of the quilt police.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:32 AM

Beautiful :!:
Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 AM

Oh, I love it....
Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 AM

It is the little imperfections on a handmade gift from the heart that make them perfect in every way! At least that is how I feel about every gift that I have received over the years. Weather it was a baby quilt from a fellow co-worker, a picture my DD made in art class and then come home and framed, flannel jammies from my aunt (as a child) or something new my mom wanted to try. They all thought of me when picking out the pattern or material and it was made with heart and love just for ME!

Your friend will love and cherish your gift and she will also look past any what you call imperfection, because it came from you with no strings attached just a token of your friendship.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by grendelskin
I recently completed this quilt, intended for one of my dearest friends. Trouble is, she knows her stuff and I'm terrified to give it to her since I'm no master. So the question is: is it wrong to lightly say something to the effect that it's a token of affection and that little things like technical ability should be kindly overlooked until I get around to making her next one?
That is a beautiful quilt and it does not deserve an apology. If you ask her to overlook certain things, you are apologizing for your beautiful work. She will love the quilt. Be proud !
Old 01-06-2011, 06:06 AM

If she doesn't like it, you can send it my way. Looks absolutely beautiful to me. Bet she will love it.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:15 AM

I love -love your quilt,and she will too. I made one like it and put it on the back of my braid. Love it
Attached Thumbnails attachment-154784.jpe