Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Show us your bravery - show us the ugliest quilt you ever made. >

Show us your bravery - show us the ugliest quilt you ever made.

Show us your bravery - show us the ugliest quilt you ever made.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

I'm not laughing - especially when your "quilt inspector" seems to have given his approval.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 AM

I must be a rarity among quilters. I love every quilt I make! I am sure there have been some others might consider ugly, lol, but I put my heart and soul into every quilt, and each is full of love. How can it then be ugly?

Some have determined their own outcome, contrary to my original plans. Most tell me how they wish to be, from start to finish; I am learning to listen. All have errors of workmanship, judgment, planning, basic math (lol).... but so far, each is beautiful and loved. Not only by me, but also by the owners.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I'm not sure that my first "really ugly" quilt is still around, but here's what I did. I took a pink and lime cheater panel that my sister gave me, cut up 2 (yes I said two) layers of an old mattress pad, then added 2 (yes I said two) layers of polyester batting, then the backing, a remnant that had a mark on it from a black marker. Thanks to my trusty Kenmore sewing machine - which loved to sew on heavy fabrics, I stitched around the squares in the print (no walking foot - didn't know what one was back then), and then bound it with a pink binding. Besides the 60's print and colors, which weren't all that pretty, the quilt was very heavy - surprise, surprise. However, my daughter loved it, especially since she could take it outside, lay it on the grass and play with her Barbie dolls on it with no fear that sticks and stones would poke their way through. I really put my Kenmore through quite a work out, so a few years later when the motor started smoking while I was quilting, I decided it was time for a new machine. LOL. It was a real work horse and I really worked it to death.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:02 AM

Boston 1954..I think your quilt is beautiful. Love all the greens.
Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
This is one that I never even finished because I was so disappointed in the colors. I think I should have auditioned the fabric better. I had made a red "Trip Around the World" called "Passion". This was going to be called "Peace". I feel as though I wasted fabric.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:03 AM

I don't know about ugly lol but I have been know to donate my first quilts to my puppies and they still have them 17 years later lol.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:05 AM

It is beautiful

QUOTE=Cherylsea;6251779]Jan, I think it is lovely!! Never heard of doing hexagons that way. You can ship it to me if you don't want it![/QUOTE]
Old 08-25-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
The first quilt I made was a Grandmother's Flower Garden. You cut hexagons for the back, batting, and top; sewed them on 5 sides, turned them right side out, quilted them, then stitched them all together. I had hundreds of hexagons all over my house. I used what ever fabric I could find: cotton, silk, denim, batiste--you name it I used it. And I thought it was lovely!!! Please don't laugh too loud:[ATTACH=CONFIG]431874[/ATTACH]

Jan, that is a great quilt. betcha a great learning experience too.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

I was given the center Deer applique on White background and the "ugly" dark green material with red bears and gold deers (not detailed animals) in it to use to complete a quilt for one of our store managers for her son. I really thought about what to do with what I had to work with. I thought the gold would help to calm down that dark green material and compliment the gold deer in the middle. I was fairly pleased with how it turned out and they loved it, but I still think it was one of the ugliest quilts I have made
[ATTACH=CONFIG]432181[/ATTACH]
I did a 10 minute block in the center of the dark green fabric using the same calming deer fabric I used on the border.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]432182[/ATTACH]

I used the calmer deer fabric on the border to help. This picture was taken on the side of the bed.
Attached Thumbnails deer-quilt-carrie-2.jpg   deer-quilt-carrie-1.jpg  

Last edited by twinkie; 08-25-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:45 AM

None of these quilts are ugly! You made an attempt at something not every tries...make a quilt. That action alone, making a quilt, is beautiful and nothing ugly can every come from it. Be kind to yourself and give yourself credit!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:06 PM

It is lovely! The dog is cute, too!