Sick about this

Sick about this

Old 03-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Banned

that is so beautiful. Penny
Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dgmoby
Did you have this professionally quilted? I would be asking my quilter about this...since I quilt, I can say this :) Most quilters press before the quilting, so this would have been pressed to the border. Certainly we see it before the quilting.

I think it might prevent it from winning a ribbon...sorry to say. But really that would depend upon the show - how large it is. It is a beautiful quilt - and you did an amazing job.

It may be one you end up just enjoying...but on the other hand, if you do enter it once, you'll know based upon the comments. I would have to think twice about the quilter...

Just my thoughts....
I am just learning to make quilts, but if I sent a quilt out to be quilted, and my quilter did not contact me and ask what I wanted done about the problem before she quilted it. Penny
Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Banned

wow I like the little point you added.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
........I had gone over and over this top before deciding that I was ready to send it off for quilting and I never realized that I hadn't trimmed the dark border fabric. Now it shows underneath the lighter fabric...............
Hi Pam,
Pesonally, I like the critique that I get from entering a show. If you want the critique, I'd say go ahead and enter it. The judges will notice and comment about the dark fabric showing through, but you will also get comments regarding the quilt as a whole and there may be benefits from that critique for you. I scribe for judges and know their critiques are to help the individual improve their skills. They may tell you something else that you hadn't noticed or thought of and you will say, "ahhh-ha!"

A personal example: I had entered a quilt that I had used polka-dot fabric for the binding. I though I had been very clever and liked the "look". When I got my critique back, the comment about the binding really surprised me. (As I best remember wtihout having to look it up), the comment said to be careful when using polka-dot fabric because it made the binding look crooked.....hummmm.....when I looked at my quilt, it was staring me in the face and I had not noticed it before I read the critique......most of it looked great, but one side did look crooked becaue of the dots. :-( So glad to know that now. If I were to use polka-dots again, I'd really pay attention to my cutting and how it was laying while attachiing the binding. Ellen
Attached Thumbnails attachment-3647.jpe  
Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ellen 1
........I had gone over and over this top before deciding that I was ready to send it off for quilting and I never realized that I hadn't trimmed the dark border fabric. Now it shows underneath the lighter fabric...............
Hi Pam,
Pesonally, I like the critique that I get from entering a show. If you want the critique, I'd say go ahead and enter it. The judges will notice and comment about the dark fabric showing through, but you will also get comments regarding the quilt as a whole and there may be benefits from that critique for you. I scribe for judges and know their critiques are to help the individual improve their skills. They may tell you something else that you hadn't noticed or thought of and you will say, "ahhh-ha!"

A personal example: I had entered a quilt that I had used polka-dot fabric for the binding. I though I had been very clever and liked the "look". When I got my critique back, the comment about the binding really surprised me. (As I best remember wtihout having to look it up), the comment said to be careful when using polka-dot fabric because it made the binding look crooked.....hummmm.....when I looked at my quilt, it was staring me in the face and I had not noticed it before I read the critique......most of it looked great, but one side did look crooked becaue of the dots. :-( So glad to know that now. If I were to use polka-dots again, I'd really pay attention to my cutting and how it was laying while attachiing the binding. Ellen
that is a beautiful quilt, and so different. I like it very much. Penny
Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by penny doty
Hi Pam,

Can you see what I was talking about with the crooked binding?? It isn't, but looks that way with the polka-dot fabric.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 AM

I can see it in the picture, on the right side. I would never have thought to worry about matching the dots on the fabric.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:52 AM

Patterns aren't always printed exactly straight with the grain of the fabric so it could be tricky to get it to look that way.

I often use border fabric that has a specific pattern that has to be fussy cut right on a point in the pattern. If I wasn't doing that and just layed the fabric how it wants to lay and cut straight, it wouldn't always be straight. I have to lay my 24" ruler along the line I want and slightly pull the fabric up or down to line it up.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by penny doty
Hi Pam,

Can you see what I was talking about with the crooked binding?? It isn't, but looks that way with the polka-dot fabric.
Yes and thank you for the information, I am teaching myself to quilt, so all the info is helpful. Penny
Old 03-10-2010, 02:12 PM

Your quilt is stunning - I'm so sorry your quilter didn't have the presence of mind to stop and let you know about the dark fabric. Nonetheless, you did a beautiful job.