Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Sick about this >

Sick about this

Sick about this

Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 AM

It is totally my responsibility. I should have seen it when I was checking it. All I can think of is that it wasn't against a lighter background so it wasn't obvious to me.

Maybe I should start laying tops out on a white surface too see what it will look like with batting behind it and REALLY check every inch of it. It could have been anything like a tangle of dark threads that wouldn't show up otherwise.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 AM

Do you plan on entering it in a "juried" show? If so, you will know pretty quickly if the judges will accept it...If they do, then it's worthy of entering. Besides, you never know what the judges are going to zero in on.....I would go ahead and enter it! Even if you don't win a ribbon you will at least have the judges critiques!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Pam, I would not try any stenciling on this quilt. It really is quite stunning and Judi did a show-worthy job of quilting it. I say enter it in any show you like. A smaller local show will certainly win you ribbons and a big juried show like AQS, well they nitpick everything but so what. There is nothing more exciting than seeing one of your own quilts to hang in a show. If you truly have your heart set on winning a ribbon with it (and a little cash) enter it in your county fair. I can pretty much guarantee it will win something. Because AQS is a juried show and you have to submit photos, submit a photo where you can see the shadowing. I wouldn't mention anything on the entry form. If the judges notice it and think it deters too much from the show-worthiness of the quilt, (which I really doubt) the worst that can happen is they won't accept your quilt for entry.
If you feel you must do something, I really liked your prairie point type idea with the matching border fabric. That picture you posted was really pretty enhancement. You could lay a bunch of those out before actually sewing them to know for sure if you wanted to do that or not.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:12 PM

Show it with pride. If I could make a quilt like that I would fly it on my flag pole :lol:
Old 03-09-2010, 12:19 PM

Hey, the line looks even! Just name it Shadow Work Mystique and it'll get rave reviews. :-D

It's a gorgeous quilt; you did a fantastic job. The quilting is awesome, so enter it wherever you want with a big smile on your face!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:20 PM

Tootsie, what a great idea!!
Old 03-09-2010, 02:32 PM

No don't tea stain it, that should be done only with a piece of cloth that hasn't been sewn, from my past experience, even then the tea stain is not always well distributed on the fabric, I tea stained the fabric on a table cloth years ago and found that out. Just leave it as is and enter it or whatever you plan to do with it, but please just don't start tampering with it now, it is too gorgeous to mess up.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:56 PM

Tea/coffee staining the whole thing might work and give it that heirloom quality.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:09 PM

Just think dear one,
we are but human and mistakes are happy accidents, something to treasure and not worry over. I have made lots of mistakes and found them after year or so of using, it still keptus warm and every one that saw it thought it was georgus, so get off your pitty party and enter that wonderful quilt ;

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
It is totally my responsibility. I should have seen it when I was checking it. All I can think of is that it wasn't against a lighter background so it wasn't obvious to me.

Maybe I should start laying tops out on a white surface too see what it will look like with batting behind it and REALLY check every inch of it. It could have been anything like a tangle of dark threads that wouldn't show up otherwise.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 PM

I am a longarm quilter and I don't feel I'm responsible for a seam being pressed the wrong way. And generally even if I wanted to fix it it would mean taking out seams in order to press another way as that seam would be trapped by other seams. I feel it's the responsibility of the quilter to prepare the quilt for quilting. I don't advertise repair work in my list of services, if a quilt comes in with serious issues, such as wavy borders, etc, I will ask the client to fix the problem or in some cases offer to do it for a fee. I will explain how the problem is going to affect the quilting. I quilt for a wide range of quilters, some beginners, some very experienced quilters, I am not the quilt police...I'm not here to judge, my job is to quilt that quilt to very best of my ability. I take offense, dgmoby, when you suggest that she should look for another quilter. When I'm working on a quilt and see a shadow caused from being flipped the wrong way, I feel bad that it's there, but do I take the responsibilty for it. Absolutely not.