Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A special quilt for my parents >

A special quilt for my parents

A special quilt for my parents

Old 07-15-2017, 03:12 AM

Wow...you've certainly put a lot of thought and effort into your memory quilt...it will surely be a keepsake. Thank you for sharing your photos and the story to go with them.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:02 AM

Keep it up, girl! You've got a masterpiece in the works! There is a type of fabric sheets that will go through the printer (just like a piece of paper) and then can be ironed onto your quilt back. Avery makes one, I know but I am sure you can find others at Office Max or Staples. You must include some of the stories you've shared with us. somehow on the quilt itself. The stories are too precious to not have them for others to read and enjoy. Good luck finishing all this work!
Old 07-15-2017, 04:14 PM

A few more basic blocks, the fabric was the key part for these.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576606[/ATTACH]

More bugs for my mom.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576607[/ATTACH]

More farm prints. My grampa (mom's dad) raised herefords. I was so happy when I found a hereford cow print I wanted to put Grampa's brand on the cow block I posted earlier, but I can't find a photo (and we're not sure where the branding iron went, I though my brother got it, but he didn't). I should probably contact my uncle and see if he has it!

By the time I was born, most of the farm had been sold off/rented out, but they still had some cows. One morning my brother woke me up early because he had a surprise for me. I got dressed and he led me outside, behind the barn, to the old cow pen, where there was a calf.

We'd also play blind man's bluff in the cow pastures and "go exploring". When it was really hot, and they had the water that day, we'd swim in the irrigation ditch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576608[/ATTACH]

Gardening tools and more flags.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576609[/ATTACH]

"Dad blocks". I only used one of the bottom blocks, but made an extra in case I needed it. With Grampa being a cattle farmer, we were raised "to support the industry". Lots of grilled hamburgers and steaks growing up. Also, with five kids, eating out was not cheap, so we'd usually take a picnic lunch when we went places. Lots of cold fried chicken eaten in the forest.

The police cars are for my dad. I've spent more time in the back of a police car than most criminals. It's one of my "what is different about you" responses, lol.

And more baking/cooking fabrics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576610[/ATTACH]

The red block with the animals sparked the idea for a grilling block (I'll post later). It reminded my sister of a picnic blanket.

And dogs for dad. Growing up we always had animals. Lots of cats, and at least one dog at all times. One time we were staying with my grandparents (Thanksgiving maybe?) They lived "in the middle of nowhere" and we didn't get to leave the house often. My dad decided to take us to the store with him, and as we were heading into Safeway, there were puppies at the entrance. A "quiet one" and a "noisy one". I wanted the quiet one, but I was overruled by older siblings, and we came back with a new puppy. Grandparents did not like dogs (whenever we brought ours, it had to stay outside). Mom was not thrilled. But, puppy! My sister used it as a 4H dog and it lived a long, happy life.
Attached Thumbnails 4p-bugs-orange.jpg   4ps-cows-farm-animals.jpg   4ps-garden-tools-flags.jpg   4ps-police-oven-gloves-bbq-food.jpg   4p-brown-dogs-picnic-blanket-farm-animals.jpg  

Old 07-15-2017, 04:22 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576613[/ATTACH]

Another "Dad block".

My dad is an avid reader and can read a large book in a few hours. When my oldest sister went to kindergarten, she came home from the first day of school crying, because they "didn't teach her how to read". She was so upset that my dad sat down with her and started teaching her.

For us younger kids, he decided that he would not wait until we went to kindergarten, but would teach us to read as early as we could learn. Most evenings (when he wasn't working), we'd sit in his chair with a book that he would read to us. He'd pick out a word (like "and"), and every time we got to that work, he'd stop and we would have to read it. The next night he would add another word. He'd read the same story with us for weeks, if that was what it took to be able to read it by ourselves. I'm not sure how old my two older siblings were, but he had me reading children's books when I was three. I taught my son to read the same way.

My mom was with me when I bought this fabric and thought it was for my son (also an avid reader). Sure, the leftovers will be!
Old 07-16-2017, 06:36 AM

These three blocks are for both parents...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576639[/ATTACH]

If you've ever watched Claymation Christmas, you might recognize this guy. My parents recorded the show when it was on tv in the 80s, and we would watch it every year. My sister found a copy on DVD, and so the tradition has continued as adults. We'll get together for Christmas dinner (we have it on Christmas Eve) and then after dinner we watch The Best Christmas Pageant Ever and Claymation Christmas.

The carol of the bells is a favorite, and I always think of this guy when I hear it. I need to paint or embroider they eyes, tooth, and arm, but he's mostly ready to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_P0SaPmV3c [ATTACH=CONFIG]576640[/ATTACH]

Mom and Dad are Christian and we grew up in a religious household. Church every Sunday, where we would pile into the car with at least one of us carefully holding a flower arrangement that my mom made for the church. It wasn't uncommon to show up with our laps all wet...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576641[/ATTACH]

When they moved into their current house, they put up hummingbird feeders. My dad takes care of the feeders and changes out the liquid frequently. They have some birds that stay all winter, through the snow and freezing conditions (Anna's hummingbirds, I believe). They've rigged up a heatlamp, and cover over one of the feeders to delay freezing, still having to change it every hour or two. They have one feeder positioned so you can see it from the dining table, and another you can watch from the kitchen sink. They're a little jealous of videos of feeders they see, where lots of hummingbirds are sharing, as their hummingbirds seem pretty territorial and are constantly chasing each other off the feeders. It's rare to see more than one feeding at a time.

I found the pattern in a book at St Vincent de Paul's and knew I had to get it. I might make more of the blocks to use for couch pillows.
Attached Thumbnails christmas-carol-bell.jpg   cross.jpg   hummingbird-flower-edited.jpg  
Old 07-16-2017, 06:38 AM

I just noticed the block of books is no longer showing, so I'll try again. Story behind it is above.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576642[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails books.jpg  
Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 AM

I may be able to come up with a story for some of the blocks in a "poem" form. Then print it out as suggested and put on the back. I'll have to include the line "back of a police car" somewhere, lol.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:52 AM

Oh how I am loving your blocks and the stories behind each one. it would be a lot of information on a label, but a pocket could be made on the quilt backing and a printed paper sheet inserted telling about each block. Such a precious memory quilt this is going to be.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

After your quilt top is assembled, you could make a "map" of the top and then key the stories to it.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:45 PM

Great job so far! I can't wait to see it finished!