Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
the start of Thinking Outside the Block... it's not quite the effect I was going for... >

the start of Thinking Outside the Block... it's not quite the effect I was going for...

the start of Thinking Outside the Block... it's not quite the effect I was going for...

Old 09-29-2010, 07:56 AM

Hi Karla, I read all of the posts and my first thought is if there is a fabric you hate or you think just doesn't belong then your eye will always zero in on that fabric. This happened to me, that's how I know it to be true. I personally love all the fabrics as they are. There is a maple tree here in Alaska that has that brilliant redish and it reminded me of that tree. Also if you play with "falling leaves" appliqued all over the place that would be just incredible. Karla, any way you work it you will have a masterpiece! We have all seen how beautiful your quilts are and we are anxious for the completion pictures!!!
Have a warm and wonderful day and THANK YOU for being a teacher. I'll bet you love all your little ones. :-D
Old 09-29-2010, 08:07 AM

Boy, these would fit VERY NICELY with my gazebo blocks from the block a month swap!!!......
Old 09-30-2010, 03:01 AM

That is absolutely fantastic--I lovethe design and teh colors
What pattern is it? If you don't want it, send it to me.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:09 PM

Personally I like it.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:11 PM
mac

I think the block is very pretty and should make a stunning quilt.

I also think that all of the colored strips work well together except maybe the last strip. What may help with the “Jungle” feeling you are getting is putting a darker green color with a very low contrast. It can have different colors in it, but they need to have the same value (each color in the same strip not standing out any more than the other colors in that strip). Whereas, the last strip has those light colored leaves that pop out at you which makes it seem lighter than the red strip next to it.

If you squint at your picture, the red strip is actually darker than the last green strip. Because the red strip has very low contrast, it ends up looking darker. Looking at your pattern, the whole block is built on contrast with the center being light and getting progressively darker towards the outside block. That is why you need to put a green strip that reads darker than the red strip, it will tone down the whole block and may make it look less jungley.

This is just my opinion, I hope it helps.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:17 PM

Beautiful batiks, I like it...
Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 AM

Personally, I love it!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:21 AM

I like it. :-D
Old 11-05-2010, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I wanted rich fall.... I feel like I got jungle or camouflage. :| :roll: It was rich fall to a point...then it took a turn. Maybe it was the dark red strip? Hmmm.

Maybe I've been working on it too long... I'll put it away and peek first thing tomorrow to see if I feel differently.

Thank goodness I didn't plan on making a whole quilt--just a table runner and a wall hanging, so only 42 blocks are started. Phew! I completed 10 tonight so I could see how I liked it.
Maybe the center is too light; I do like it tho', try just a shade or 2 darker in the center. I have this happen to me all too often; a great idea that doesn't pan out when set to fabric.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:38 AM

Love the colors, simply beautiful. Looks warm and cozy.