Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Whats wrong with this quilt/wallhanging? >

Whats wrong with this quilt/wallhanging?

Whats wrong with this quilt/wallhanging?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I like the gold but feel the blocks need to be rearranged. For me, the light to dark just doesn't work in that particular piece
Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 AM

I agree with rearranging the blocks and getting a more even mix of the light and dark blocks. In addition, try facing the gold triangles in the same direction and the other triangles go in the opposite direction from the gold - maybe alternating rows of the triangles.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 AM

Ditto. Rearrange the blocks and turn all the gold triangles going in the same direction. Also, make a few more plain blocks to give the eye a place to rest. Pretty colors, though, and I am sure it will be lovely once it is finished. Be sure to post again.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 AM
lin

I actually really like your first arrangement. I even like the block in the upper left hand corner. It anchors that upper corner and stops the eye so it doesn't roam right off the quilt. I'd love to see the room it's going in. That could make a difference in how I feel about it, but as it stands, I find it much more modern and interesting the way you had it originally. Ultimately the choice is yours though. You will know what pleases your eye and fits best in the room better than anyone else.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by paulettepoe View Post
I like the gold. but believe they should all be going in the same direction.
I agree with paulettepoe. On the diagonal and in the middle then the ones that aren't gold parallel... maybe.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 AM

I like the gold to black idea. If anything maybe just a few more gray tone triangles I like the arangement of the triangles - gives it some variety. Maybe some more contrast when it goes from white-gray-black but i like it overall.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sandy64 View Post
When I look at it, all I see is gold! Too much overpowers the other blocks. Sandy64
I agree with Sandy.

Your choice of fabric is wonderful.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM

The only thing I would change is the top left corner. Use a lighter background with grey triangle. So that it actually shows as light to dark on the diagonal. There isn't to much gold, and I can see the secondary design with the triangles. I think it will be a beautiful modern quilt. Stand way back from it and possibly take a picture and graystyle it. I love it.
Or if te triangles are not sewn on, I'd do all te triangles in the gold. Then the triangle pattern would stand out more. JMO
Old 01-05-2013, 10:07 AM

I like this so well, I would like to get the pattern. Where can I get it?

Originally Posted by Juztme View Post
My goal was to make a wall hanging for a room in my house, but now I'm not so sure I like what I did.
I found a quilt pattern that uses a layer cake, cut into pieces, then resewn them back into these blocks with different colored triangles in the center. Since the color theme of the room is the antique gold with black furniture, I used the gold fabric for the triangles. Then I layed out the rows in the way the layer case was presented (light to dark). I started adding triangles from to give some more contrast, but I fill the gold is overpowering. I walked away from it for a couple of hours, and now I am asking for ideas. Do I need to rearrange the blocks? Get rid of some of the gold triangles? Just finish it as is? I was going to do the polkadot for binding, not border. I've done almost 1/2 of the blocks.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 AM

I like the gradiation and the colors. I too think it looks better with the triangles going in the same direction, or some sort of more organized way. Here is my suggestion....keep the light to dark but take the gold out of the many of the light squares and use grey and black in those squares. Also, maybe more gold backgrounds instead of just one?

I also agree with what Cheryl said on page 7. Good luck. You'll find a way that pleases you if you keep up with it. Also, if this is only half the blocks you have a lot of possibilities for change.