Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Whats wrong with this quilt/wallhanging? >

Whats wrong with this quilt/wallhanging?

Whats wrong with this quilt/wallhanging?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:05 AM
RDM

I like your colors, but a more subdued gold tone-on-tone might work better so doesn't stand out as much. Just my preference, but I'd like to see what happens when you move your lights into center and frame with your darks, or inter-place them more. Also could try to turn inner triangles so points face in on 4 blocks, or as suggested all in same direction to see how that flows. I'm sure it will be nice when all done.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 PM

The triangles all should go in one directions.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:38 PM

I am not fond of the light to dark. It looks out of balance to me, but I am a beginner. I hope you can get it so you will love it. Lots to work with. Blessins.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 PM

I would rearange the pieces and not have all the dark on the bottom and mix it up,Think the gold is fine but just mix it up more.Just play with it and it will be ok. I worked in a florest and its like flower arranging,you can do round,triangles,onlong. Put it on a wall and keep arrangeing it.If you have to cut some off to fit in. Make your border fabric to make the center to pop, then add binding in same gold to finish it off. I can see it already done.Good luck. Wish I was there to help you.You can leave the gold in center but take some of the darker and put it with the lighter top pieces.You could take the sm light pieces of triangle that is next to the gold and replace it with the sm dark triangle that will match the different fabric patterns. Please show us how it came out. God Bless Dawn
Old 01-05-2013, 03:18 PM

I would abandon the light to dark idea and try for an arrangement that had the triangles making a pattern. You might have to add sashing between four blocks each with triangles making patterns. If that didn't work, I'd use the triangles in the border and make a different center, maybe a more cohesive one, with a different pattern in the middle. Do you have enough of the fabric that is three rows up from the bottom and three rows from the left to use in the middle? If not, how about the fabric in the upper right corner? I think you need to add more fabrics, possibly some solids in black, white, and grey - but not gold! You have more than enough gold already.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:24 PM

I find myself very distracted by the triangles- they don't look coherent to me. Tbh I think a random arrangement of the charms with no triangles would appeal to me more.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:35 PM

I agree with rearranging them first. With the triangles pointing all different directions it makes the look too busy. my specific suggestion is to keep the center triangles either going all the same way, or only two ways...I rather like the diagonal rows where one row is pointing to the lower right and the adjacent row is pointing to the upper left. The blocks where the triangles are pointing upper right and lower left make it too confusing for my taste. Once this rearranging is done, see if you still think you have too much gold.....
Old 01-05-2013, 03:36 PM

actually - NOTHING is wrong with it....it just isn't like you want it to look.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM

I like your quilt. I am not a gold person and I don't think it is too much. I like the way it fades from light to dark...except the first square in the left hand corner. It seems it should be white with a yellow triangle. Just my opinion.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by paulettepoe View Post
I like the gold. but believe they should all be going in the same direction.
I totally agree with paulettepoe. Looks like an 'art nouveau' quilt! I think it will look fantastic on your furniture!