Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Questions and Complaints About the New Format Are Collected Here >

Questions and Complaints About the New Format Are Collected Here

Questions and Complaints About the New Format Are Collected Here

Old 01-01-2020, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I'm curious as to the reasoning using thumbnail pictures in the posts, rather than the actually on the page. I could understand that it might have been better when using dial-up so that the page would load faster, but to not be able to scroll through the page of pictures and having to open each one - either in a new page or having to click to go back to the 'thread' - doesn't seem user friendly, to me.
That's on the list of requested fixes. Thanks for the excellent input and description of the problem.

Also going back to default of ten posts per page seems going backwards to early days of technology.
Using the "User CP" menu option, change your personal profile settings to your preferred default number of posts per page.

Another question I have is will there be a limit to the number of images per post?
I think the limit has gone back to 5 per post. If they can get us back to not having to click through thumbnails, I will then ask about bumping it back up to 10. baby steps.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-01-2020, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I can't figure out how to put my Mabel's pic back on my avatar.
Wow, this place is different!
Using the "User CP" menu option you can restore your avatar.
I wish that wasn't necessary, but they just didn't survive the migration.
I'm just glad i still had the file for mine stored where i could find it.

"Different" is a gracious understatement. LOL
Old 01-01-2020, 08:00 AM

I've read through all the posts here & one thing that bothers me that I did not find mentioned is this:
With the old format when someone posted a reply & if they had some sort of signature (or quote, or note) on their profile it would show up at the very bottom of their post.....clearly separated from their actual post. On this new format the signature line seems to be right up under the post with only a short line separating the post from the signature line. This seems to make the post harder to read as everything seems "jammed" up together. The little separation line really doesn't help much. Is there any way that the techs could get that signature line lower to the bottom of the post & separated more from the actual post?
P.S. Even though you have had previous complaints about the color I feel that I need to let you know that I don't like the teal color either. Also, the whole screen seems to be too bright....to white. It hurts old eyes like mine.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
If you're using a computer (Windows or Mac) you can enlarge by holding down the Ctrl button and typing + (the plus button). On a Mac, use Command instead of Ctrl.
If you're on a phone or tablet, sorry, I got nuthin'.
Like the rest of this week’s commentators, I find this new incarnation very difficult to read and harder to navigate. That said, at least on my iPad, it’s easy to stretch the page to show a larger print, but I have to do it for each new page. I look forward to seeing the old format come back.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:41 AM

well so far I have to log in anew each day, even though I check "remember me". Is this the way it is going to be from now on?
Old 01-01-2020, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by waltonalice View Post
I look forward to seeing the old format come back.
it is not coming back. the techs will work to improve the appearance, but it might take some time.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
well so far I have to log in anew each day, even though I check "remember me". Is this the way it is going to be from now on?
already asked and answered more than once.

it's on the fix list.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by LarasAussies View Post
While I can’t speak for quiltingboard, I do work in IT and can guarantee that in over 20 years of supporting systems, no one has ever upgraded/changed a website just “because”. It’s a pain. As Patrice said they had to change the version of VB. Normally this is because the older technology or version is no longer supported by the creator of the technology which means no more security patches and if there are issues they won’t help to resolve them anymore. Newer browser versions such as MS Edge and Chrome May not work with older technology and if you don’t get security updates then the websites are vulnerable to unethical individuals trying to access our information. Upgrades in technology are sometimes painful as the newer version just don’t work the same way anymore. It sounds like there are people working to resolve the issues for things that do not work. I am Sure those people like to get paid and the ads that we despise generate the revenue that pays them. I for one appreciate that they are working over the holidays and that the forums are still alive and free to us. We may just need to be patient while they get through the changes.
I agree completely. I bolded the statements in LarasAussies that I found most important and what we need to keep in mind.

I've read through this entire merged thread and am saddened at the tone in some of these posts, many are downright rude and demanding. This is a free site. It's run by volunteers. We all pay nothing to be here in this community. Can we please be civil and patient? Patrice has answered our questions as best as she can over and over again. If there's something about the new format that's bugging you, make a polite suggestion that it be added to the list. Making demands, threats, or complaints doesn't help. Imagine how you would feel if 40-50 people started venting like this to you about your work, and it wasn't anything you had any control over. She has said they're working on it, let's have a cup of coffee (or a glass of wine?) and let them work on it.

Last edited by Peckish; 01-01-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:46 AM

Peckish,
Any forum that I have visited or participated in is free. Many forums make their money from advertising, I am not sure if the moderators are paid for their time, possibly not. It would have been nice to have had some warning that this upgrade was planned - it would have saved a lot of hassle.
I just hope it begins to look better soon, it is really uncomfortable to view for more than 15 minutes or so.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I agree completely. I bolded the statements in LarasAussies that I found most important and what we need to keep in mind.

I've read through this entire merged thread and am saddened at the tone in some of these posts, many are downright rude and demanding. This is a free site. It's run by volunteers. We all pay nothing to be here in this community. Can we please be civil and patient? Patrice has answered our questions as best as she can over and over again. If there's something about the new format that's bugging you, make a polite suggestion that it be added to the list. Making demands, threats, or complaints doesn't help. Imagine how you would feel if 40-50 people started venting like this to you about your work, and it wasn't anything you had any control over. She has said they're working on it, let's have a cup of coffee (or a glass of wine?) and let them work on it.
I agree with Peckish and PatriceJ, this site is free and for our enjoyment, lets give the coders a chance to fix thing and be nice to each other. In programing when you change one thing you don't always know what it will effect in a different area. Most of the function is here and we can talk to each other today and see pictures of our projects. If you find something that doesn't work just post a quick found this is broken statement.

Happy New Years!