Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

2 more quilt tops are now finished! Yeah! I will be giving them to my church quilting group to finish.

The brown top is made from 4 inch squares that were cut a number of years ago by my church quilting group. I used odds and ends of brown material for the strips so that's the reason for a color variation of browns. It took a while to complete this top because it was mainly a leader/ender project. It was adapted from Bonnie Hunter and Quiltvilles Dancing Nine Patch pattern.

The other quilt is from 6 inch squares that I sewed to a WOF strip, subcut, etc. I think I only have scraps left over of the solid. . The squares were also sitting in a box and were cut by the church group.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Retiredteach, congratulations on completing two more tops. I am going to try the Bonnie Hunter pattern soon to help reduce my stash. Great job!

Name:  20140824_120430.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  89.4 KBAnother finish. This was from Shabby Fabrics, a mystery BOM from 2012, called Country Cottages. One of my friend's 7-year-old (at that time) nieces cut out most of the applique and she kept wanting to help, so I'm going to give it to her when I go back to Ohio next month. I hope she likes it!

Adorable little cottages quilt! And how sweet of you to gift it to the young lady

Name:  20140825_131526.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  104.6 KBHad some random Christmas fabric and put the quilt together using the Squares withing Squares 2 block from quilterscache.com. If you only have three fabrics to use, this would be a terrific block!

Hello, everyone. Can I sneak in and cheer you all on once again? I feel so guilty that I haven't been popping in and making comments on your beautiful UFOs in such a long time. You all are the best thread on the QB.... I didn't bring any UFOs up with me this summer (except the ones in my mind that needed to be finished) so I guess I dropped out of sight for a bit.
    I'm just about done with what I brought so I need to start something.... just haven't decided exactly what it will be.

But the quilts you all are doing have been inspiring.

Michelleoc, your use of Christmas fabrics is super cute. I have a whole box of Christmas back at the winter house that I need to use.... You have given me some ideas, that's for sure. And your cottage quilt is to die for.... really, I LOVE it. Your party of 4 ..... love the colors you chose for that one. I understand feeling a little strange making fall, pumpkin quilts while it's still hot but, I love them..... I really need to make some fall stuff, too. WoW, you have really been busy. Good for you.

Retiredteacher09, you have come up with so many great ways to use up the blocks from your church..... bravo!! I totally see how your quilts will bring joy to many. Super way to help out others.

Kristakz- You're giving that celtic quilt away? It's wonderful.... so bright and cheery.

Jwardknits- Your celtic quilt is awesome, too. I don't know how I missed that pattern but it's one I think I'd like to do. Colorful fabrics really set it off. And the jean quilt---- looks super warm. I've not done one of those either. The red and white mystery quilt is just eye catching. ... nice job. And, I need to get with it, don't I?

SandyinZ4- Cute, cute, cute. I LOVE the yellow you chose for this one. WoW! Some little one is going to adopt it for life.

Nena- I've never done one of the JoAnn block quilts but I really like yours. .... very, very nice.

So, I'll get back to the last quilt for my sibling's grandchildren. I've done 15 over the past few years. Now, if all my nieces and nephews are done having babies, maybe I'll get a break. But, like I said, deciding what to do next is the challenge at this point.
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

nanna - We LOVE to be cheered on!! Thanks for all the kind words. It's been a busy group this month.
    Name:  20140826_162027.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  82.2 KBThe Stockings Were Hung. From the 2010 book 'Tis the Season, Quilts and other Comforts, by Jeanne Large and Shelley Wicks. This has been in progress since that time and I am working on 3-4 other quilts from this same book. I LOVE this book, the patterns are great!

Name:  20140827_132818.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  62.6 KBName:  20140827_132734.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  78.7 KBRaining Cats and Dogs from Bunny Hill. With the scraps I pieced the backing.

Oh my goodness!! Do you get any sleep, Michelleoc? You have posted so many quilts lately, I can't keep up. And they are all adorable. I love this one, too. Okay, what kind of upper pills are you taking? I need me some. I can't seem to even get my filmstrip quilt finished..... it was supposed to be done and sent by the end of the month.
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

Lovely quilts!! You all should be super proud of yourself for finishing all those quilts!

I have one UFO on my list which is a sampler quilt. It's almost finished but the binding. The binding scares me. I want to finish it by the end of next week - I'm a teacher and summer break is over soon, I have to go back to work the second week of September. I want to finish the quilt by then so that I can work on other projects ... I hope I can make it!

nanna - I don't think it's so much a matter of getting a lot done, just FINALLY sandwiching all the completed quilt tops I have had lying around. These UFOs have really gotten away from me and am trying desperately to beat the stack back!!

Name:  20140830_120628.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  105.3 KBFlowers, Wow! pattern from Quiltmaker's All-Time Favorites - Winter 2007. (Seriously, 2007? Now that's just wrong!!)

Michelle: Clearly 2007 was a good year for quilts. The half square triangles give an amazing texture to the blocks. Before I looked closely I thought it was a rag quilt. The Bunny Hill quilt is also great. Is the front all applique or some piecing? You are turning out some truly amazing quilts. Congratulations on all your finishes.

Oh Michelle, that is such a cute quilt. I love the triangles. That must have taken some real concentration to get the colors of your squares and the line of triangles working together so well. Bravo!! I really love it.

You must have that 'stack of tops' down to nothing by now. I think your finishes are totaling up to a lot this month alone. But I know how fantastic it feels to get another done and off the pile. So, keep it up if you still have more to finish. They've all been super so far.
    --- Jean

Emma - the front of the Bunny Hill quilt was all applique. The only piecing involved was sashing and borders.

Nanna - actually have two more sandwiched, ready to quilt, then two more tops that are NEAR completion. The fact that I have so many UFOs has shown me just how ADD I am!

Well, August was a busy quilting month. We had 23 quilts completed, bring our 2014 total up to 204! I'll be interested to see how the rest of the year goes. You'd think not much would get completed during the summer because of vacations and heat, but now that we are moving in to fall, some people are going back to work. Weather will start to cool off, maybe that will get more people in the quilting mood, but we're moving toward the holidays, so everyone might be too busy to quilt...it's a mystery, we'll just have to wait and see. I will be late posting September's totals. I'm leaving town on the 24th of this month and won't be back until the sixth of October. I'll be looking forward to everyone's finishes and will total everything up at that time.

Emma - you were the "sandwich queen" last month!

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries

More August finishes

Kind of went overboard and did tons of Linus quilts. Two little baby boy quilts, two toddler boy quilts, one "big boy" quilt, and two string quilts that could probably work for anyone.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  297.3 KB

Since I started using the flange method, my machine bindings are actually not embarrassing.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Yayyyyyy, I finally have a UFO finish to post!! The t-shirt quilt is finally finished, and there are no more t-shirt quilts on my list to be made. I am not sorry to see the last of them for what I hope is a good long while. LOL
    This is a King size and it is square.

Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Linda: That turned out great. I'm sure all your hard work will be much appreciated. I remember what a long effort its been with your multiple t-shirt quilts. You win the determination award! What's next on your list?

Great job, everyone!!

Kristakz- that's a really nice quilt for your son. I always have a hard time doing guy quilts. But it is so very colorful and yet, simple design that would fit nearly anywhere. And, it will be there for him to sleep under whenever he's home. I like it a lot.

Krisb- 7 quilts??? WoW!! Fantastic!! I know it would probably take up too much space but would love to be able to see what they look like. I'm still so impressed with all of you that do charity quilts. I've talked with my daughter about perhaps making a few charity quilts for her midwife group. We're working on some details so maybe I'll do some after all. I've not done much of that.

Wildyard- what a great t-shirt quilt. You did such a great job putting together different sized t-shirts. I'd think that would be hard to work out. And I totally understand the feeling of relief when you've done a bunch of the same thing. Nice quilt......
    --- Jean

I'm back to non-UFOs now, I have a couple of comfort quilts to make and a baby quilt. I'm excited to make a baby quilt, as that's not something I get to do very often! This one for a mother who has adopted, never expecting she'd ever get to be a birth mother. We are all ecstatic for them!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
    I'm back to non-UFOs now, I have a couple of comfort quilts to make and a baby quilt. I'm excited to make a baby quilt, as that's not something I get to do very often! This one for a mother who has adopted, never expecting she'd ever get to be a birth mother. We are all ecstatic for them!
    That's me, too, wildyard.... non-UFOs now. I do have 1 more UFO but it's back at the winter house. But, I still love to pop in here and see what everyone else is doing. The group here feels almost like family.

And, you'd be surprised how often adoptive parents actually get pregnant. It's like a couple tries so hard to get pregnant but when they relax and stop trying, "POP", it happens. Can't wait to see the quilt you create for them.
    --- Jean

Quote Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
    That's me, too, wildyard.... non-UFOs now. I do have 1 more UFO but it's back at the winter house. But, I still love to pop in here and see what everyone else is doing. The group here feels almost like family.
    Oh, LOL, I still have plenty of UFOs to do, just that these others have priority. Once they are done, it's back to UFOs again!
    Linda Wedge White

Blog Entries
    So many accomplishments so far! I'm going to start a new quilt and work on a UFO for 'relaxation,' as I've been told I have a low white blood count. I'll find out more this week, so having to focus on cutting a new quilt will be good therapy. I am admiring everything that is finished. Quite a talented group here!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Loved looking at all the pictures in this thread.
    I have finished three baby quilts lately, two for charity and one for my first great-granddaughter's first birthday.
    Those fabrics had been on my to-do pile for years. Now I just have about 20 UFO's in various stages of completion. I was giving quilt classes this last year and made parts of at least three quilts for patterns and suggestions. I don't know when I will ever finish those. They work for the next class, too.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 ... LastLast