2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 09-07-2015, 12:13 PM

It feels like ages since I've been on this thread, but I've just been having too much fun with my new Bailey. Well... not all fun as I had a devil of a time finding a thread she likes. Naturally she doesn't like my "goto" thread with all my other machines -- Maxi-Lock, and prefers the expensive kind. I'm still working to try to get her to accept the cone thread and will talk to the owner of Bailey's store tomorrow to see what else he might recommend. I much prefer cones over spools.

At any rate, like Emma, I haven't purchased a scrap of fabric as all my $$ went into the Bailey.

I'm also packing like crazy as I'll be moving mid October. So I will probably be hit and miss the next couple of months.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:42 AM

I'm glad you're having such a good time with your Bailey in spite of the thread issues Belfrybat.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:05 AM

wow everyone has been so good. I spent around 100 dollars for a criss cross class including the materials. This is my first jelly roll. I'm glad I didn't have to cut that all myself. I'm rather curious how much fabric is in 40 strips of fabric 2 1/2 inches across. I'll have to get out the calculator.

I actually bought a little more of the fabric than was called for but I figure that's fudge factor and I'm allowed?

Then Walmart had some 1.00 fabric so I got the end of bolt of two of them for the community group. The warm colors are kind of limited so I thought it would be all right.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:55 AM

I haven't visited here for quite a while. Busy working on the house to finish some things and work is incredibly busy and crazy.

I was doing so extremely well, but once we got the new windows in the house, I didn't want to put the really crappy old mini-blinds back up. I've always wanted to make roman shades, so I finally found a way to make them easily using the old mini-blinds and I only needed to find some really great fabric. Sooooo, I did buy fabric. It was NOT quilting fabric. I haven't had to buy any. This was mid-weight upholstery fabric. I'm not counting that, because I promised myself I would use up as much of my quilting fabric before I bought anything new. I'm keeping that promise.

I just finished a baby quilt and sent it off to my niece this week and I used only fabric from my stash. It wasn't anything really special, I used leftover blocks from a blue rail fence, added a blue border and then used some of the Winnie the Pooh fabric I bought many yards of years ago for the backing. No time at all and it was done. I didn't take a photo of it, although I do have a photo somewhere of the blocks after I had put them together.

I did take a photo of my kitchen window shades. I really love them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]530331[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 613_a0139_c53f6c4_tn.jpg  
Old 09-10-2015, 08:58 AM

Nice looking shades, Mitch. Were they difficult to make?
Old 09-10-2015, 09:28 AM

Nope, super easy. Just need to let the glue dry before hanging and if you're impatient, then it's going to be hard for you.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:06 AM

Do tell the steps in how you made the shades. I'm ready for new kitchen window treatments and love that look.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:31 AM

I followed all the steps in this tutorial..... http://made2style.com/2012/02/22/diy-roman-shades/ .....the only difference was that I used Mod Podge because I have a lot of it and I know it works well. My mini-blinds were actually a bit narrower than my window openings, but I still measured for the window opening and centered the mini-blinds on the fabric and the hardware to my window frame. The fabric just skims the framing so the sun doesn't come in past the fabric on the sides.

These two happen to be in the kitchen and the late afternoon sun shines in to the table when we're trying to eat. Not much fun. Otherwise, they are kept up. I've done the same thing in our bedroom, one spare bedroom and I'm using this same fabric in my sewing room. I still have a couple of rooms to go, but haven't decided on the fabric yet. A med-weight upholstery fabric works best and you could line it with a lightweight lining, but I wouldn't go too heavy.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

How easy is that Mitch's Gram....sew sharp looking ....you've got me thinking...if you would line quilting fabric you would get about the same weight...plus use from stash...downside for me I have no mini blinds...

Belfrybat...your UFO count should go down with the new machine...
Old 09-10-2015, 03:10 PM

Mitch love the shades and view.

Have fun and enjoy moving and remodeling everyone who is. Think of the neat memories and stories you will have to tell.

Congradulations to everyone who did not buy this last 2 months. Unfortunately I'm not one of these individuals.

I decided to just run aside the wagon for a month. I went to MO Star Quilt company and that's all I'm going to say. (Maybe I'll post pics).

In Three weeks, I go on my bus trip to 9 quilting stores. I figure I I will be busy socializing, eating, riding the bus and of course buying sewing supplies and fabric. How much money do you think I should take with me? None is not an option. LOL

enjoy sewing and quilting everyone.