2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-11-2015, 07:53 AM

backs don't have to be one piece or one fabric! they can be anything you like. and they can be different from the front as long as they match the binding so the receiver can flip them over if need be. once you open your mind to different possibilities it is amazing where it will go!

I say photos photos photos. why? because they are inspiration for the rest of us. they make us want to show what we have done too. What we are working on. I have two rows of fabric neatly folded on a bookcase. One row of stacks of left over scraps. doesn't look like much fabric but .. its a lot. I need to use it! I need to stop getting new fabric. my trouble? I always buy printed fabrics. designs I fall in love with. do I buy blenders? rarely. do I run out of white and cream regularly? yes I do. Then I see kaffe fabrics and designs made with it and think if they can do it so can I. those are beautiful quilts. I just have to use regular fabrics lol as I have only one of his prints. sigh. going to finish my ufos first. goals goals goals. how to follow through with that!

thanks for the tip on how to quilt batiks will try one of my sharps that is smaller scale. might just work!
Old 02-11-2015, 06:15 PM

Here is what the back looks like on my Stars & Stripes quilt. I got the blocks from a friend as orphan blocks so they worked out perfect to help fill in for the backing of this patriotic quilt.
Attached Thumbnails 2-11dl.jpg  
Old 02-12-2015, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

Well said Elisabrat! Well I had to go back to Textile Traders to swap a light bulb....no fabric left the store with me (Yay!). Am working on a quilt for my grandson, the only buy is batting, the rest totally from stash. Unpicked and re-did binding on 'someone else's' quilted panel (purchased some time ago from a thrift store for $4.00) I actually just wanted the bag, but it said on the label "unfinished project, needs finishing" (who could resist that!) binding from stash. Will post pics when done.
SandyinZ4 that back is terrific....love the fabric - now it's reversible.

Everyone is doing so well..... and I reckon we are getting very creative this year.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
If anyone is interested in a great easy to make scrap buster pattern, try Tiddlywinks:
http://heritagequilts.org/yahoo_site...S.16692135.pdf
You can see a pic here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post6911216
Thank you. I printed the directions and a picture of your quilt. Very cute
Old 02-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
Yes that is the 13th FQ cut into 5 inch squares. There were ones shown with borders also to make it larger. I do not remember if she said how much more fabric you would need. I just wanted a sofa quilt. Thank you for you comments

Judy
Judy, that looks like a nice quilt for charity quilts. What size does yours end up?
Old 02-12-2015, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion View Post
Judy, that looks like a nice quilt for charity quilts. What size does yours end up?
Finished quilt measured 54" x 74" Ample size for a sofa quilt I think. Thank you for asking

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 02-12-2015, 08:20 PM

It looks like you are all doing well this year. I would like to rejoin. I used to post as Irishrose, but my computer went down for a long time and I couldn't log in after it was repaired, so now I have a new name. I have contacted administration as I lost all my saved pictures and patterns, but I haven't heard from anyone. My purchases to date this year; 2 Tree of Life panels from Timeless Treasures to make 2 wedding quilts and 8 yards of clearance fabric from CT for the backings. I did not purchase any coordinating fabrics which showed remarkable restraint on my part. I think I can make framing blocks from my batik stash.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Welcome back IrishRose. Computers are great... until they crash. Good reminder for us all to make backups of everything we don't want to lose. Maybe I should back up my stash!
Old 02-13-2015, 09:40 AM

I am off of work today so DH and I went out to breakfast. While we were out we had to stop and look at a couple of his upcoming jobs. ( he is a landscaper) I realized we were near Fabric Shack so we stopped in. I am so proud of myself, we just browsed and I left without making a purchase. There were several batiks I am still dreaming about. Hopefully I can make it thru the day without going online and ordering them. It was a new line I haven't seen before. I need them so bad.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Great show of restraint meanmom. (How mean are you really?)

We had to go to Home Depot today which is on the way by my favorite LQS. DH asked if I wanted to stop and I said "no thanks." Since we had just dropped kitty off at the vet where we got a $650 bill for an unexpected operation, I could not justify even thinking of fabric.

IrishRose, good to see you back.