2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

Wow Emma, what a haul! I do believe that you are blameless. I once arrived home to find a couple bags of fabric at my door. Usually it's giant zucchini or tomatoes or eggs. I'm not complaining about any of it!
Old 06-04-2015, 05:17 PM

I like the thought of being a scrap/recycling expert. It's great to know there are others that love to go through scraps. Lol

Emma, that book looks familiar. I wonder if my late MIL had it. Also, what a nice haul from your neighbor.

Today was my last day of subbing until the fall so I have plans to start attacking the scraps a little bit each day. Plus I need to make a wall hanging for a wedding gift and start a quilt for my son and his fiancé of one month. Those will be from my MIL's stash.

Connie
Old 06-06-2015, 05:51 AM

I not only fell off the wagon I fell under it and got run over.

I went to the local consignment shop and got 20 lbs of cottons for quilting at 30 dollars. I then had to go to K-Mart and buy a 3 drawer to hold it all. It wasn't going to fit in my little box that's for sure.

The only thing I can say is that half of it will go to the quilt club for community quilts. The bigger half will be staying with me...for awhile anyway.

I also bought at 20% off the backing for the butterfly quilt, a yard and a half for a christmas quilt, and a wonderfully patriotic red, white, and blue stripped fabric for dads Navy quilt. He's 87 so I better get a move on.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Those are nice gifts, teacher and emma.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:07 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Well, I had been so good almost all year. Just picked up fabric if needed to complete a project. But today I threw myself off the wagon completely. It was the Amazon Star pattern calling from the bookcase. Looked at kits--from $250 to $330 not counting the backing. whaaaa? Picked out all the fabrics in one fell swoop, threw in thread, and backing, and hit the button before I could change my mind. @23 yards of fabric, 3 yards of wide backing. Using the birthday exemption two months early.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:58 AM

Emma , that's an amazing haul of fabric. You have no blame in this!
Connie, sometimes I think I prefer working with my scraps so I am with you on the addiction of scraps.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:46 PM

I love the phrase, "fell off the wagon, fell under it and got run over". I'll have to remember that one. I can't believe it, but I haven't purchased any fabric for two months -- even to fill in or match something in a quilt. Not only that, but I gave away several yards to a friend who is part of a guild, and I've decided to destash more by selling some and possibly using the "give away" portion of this board. I've been super busy in the garden so haven't been making much of a dent in the stash, but that will change as the hot weather is now hitting us.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:22 PM

Connie and my other scrap loving 'sisters' here..I am right with you. Nothing makes me happier than going through a bag of donated scraps. I try to use all that I can. I am doing the sorting and cutting into certain sizes when I can and have made some progress. The problem is that with summer here, I do not have time to quilt much. But winter will be here before I know it and then I can get back at it. Emma, what a nice neighbor you have. We surely don't even consider counting this as falling off the wagon. What fun finds he found for you. Krisb..we will want to see pictures of your quilt in progress pl;ease. Sounds pretty. I still say that everyone is doing so well.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

I have just created another UFO from others scraps..I finished cutting out Tulane Pink's Cityscape 100 block quilt from batik scraps. I also used parts of 4 FQ's to add some color as many of the scraps were tans, greens, and browns. Now what to do the rest of the scraps...
Old 06-07-2015, 06:51 PM

Emma, that is quite a wagon-load of scraps you got. I need to ask: What percentage of that pile do you actually LIKE?
I mean, do you see yourself drawn to 50%, 20%, 99%?