2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-09-2015, 05:23 AM

Morning Everyone. Hope everyone has a great weekend in front of them.

Elly: Yes I will be quilting the "Monster" but most of my quilts are at least 92 X 92 so I'm kind of used to wrestling with them. Additionally since the medallion lends itself to different quilting in each round, I will have to deal with the whole half width of the quilt in the initial center block only. Wish me luck!
Martina: My quilts usually turn out to be the size I planned except when they look like they need another border. That's what happened to this quilt. It was going to be in the usual size range until I decided it needed a border that would pull the center colors out to the edges. I live in terror that someday I am going to make a quilt that can only be used as a tent. Thank goodness my daughter has a king sized bed.
I really sympathize with the in-law thing. The ones I have trouble with are my sons MIL & FIL. I avoid them whenever I can but sometimes you have to play nice. My tongue is usually bloody after a day spent with them, can't even imagine three days. Take a lot of hikes.
Pegasus: Hate to undermine your resolve but recently acquired a 12 X 6 ruler. Until I got this one my most frequently used ruler was my 24 X 6, trouble is for most jobs your always fighting that extra length. For me, it really filled useful niched.
Rhonda Lee: Sounds like a great show. I've never been at one that you can actually use the long arms. Part of me is afraid that if I tried one I would fall in love and all reason and thriftiness would go out the window. I just keep repeating... I do fine on my home machine, I do fine.........
Old 05-09-2015, 05:26 AM

I took a machine quilting class. Following the directions I've started with the straight line patterns with the walking foot. That will be followed with the simple FMQ patterns. Then I bought the leah day 365 quilt patterns. I've already marked my favorites.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:42 AM

Emma nice machine
the frog quilt too cute
PP the shoes,& purses too cute also

Well all I am just naughty....yup......I am tired of being a "goodie two shoes". I want to purchase......there I've said it.......two weeks ago I went to a quilt show and remained faithful...........the crazy quilt booth was hard to back away from with those dyed laces.........luscious .........calla
Old 05-09-2015, 11:23 AM

Have enjoyed catching up on everyone's news here.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:00 PM

Calla, sometimes we just have to let that side of us out once in a while. I hope you had fun buying!!!!

I went to my LQS a few weeks ago and bought some fat quarters and notions. Kept it less than $100.00. Some are going to be used as swaps. And some to make a mug Rug. I didn't buy anything for my stash. I have too much already. Plus I noticed I don't care for the new bright large prints. I have a very large selection of batiks and other fabric I like, so I don't need to p/u any more fabric any time soon. I hope everyone enjoys shopping their stash and the shopping when you do. Have fun sewing and quilting everyone.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:11 PM

Sandy: I didn't know that about Fiskars. I have a rotary cutter that won't stay open when I press down to cut. I also have a ruler on which the lines are rubbing off. Should I check their website to contact them?

Edited to add: went to the website and found the claims method. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by AngeliaNR; 05-09-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Here's the quilt my Great Niece made this weekend. Now for the stash part. I cut a 40 piece beige & tan jelly roll from my stash yardage. All fabrics were unique and there were some neutrals that I didn't use... Boy a project like that really drives home why I need to quit fabric shopping...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]519359[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails beigequilt.jpg  
Old 05-10-2015, 06:19 PM

My stash contains hundreds of different fabrics, many of them vintage.. most of it comes from local thrift stores and in small pieces.. Perfect for making my little quilts and these make up so fast!!! I have almost instant gratification when I make another little quilt... And working from my huge stash gives me plenty to choose from. I LOVE THIS HOBBY!!!!
Old 05-10-2015, 06:21 PM

I keep trying to use my stash, but it "magically" seems to replenish itself!
Old 05-11-2015, 05:34 AM

Princess: What an amazing quilt! What an beautiful use of a muted palette! She did a great job of design.

Know just what you mean about making an entire quilt and not even making a dent. I can do that with just the scraps. I figure I can make approx. six quilts, both front and back, from a single shelf in the bookcases I use for my stash. I have four book cases with five shelves in each plus a walk in closet with shelves on all the walls. So I figure I have, conservatively speaking, over 200 quilts waiting to be made. Frightening!