2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-26-2015, 06:26 PM

Like an addict, I feel the need to report my success.

I went "cold turkey" on buying fabric (except as needed to coordinate with someone's decor for a gift) the day I signed up here. That was June 1. So I'm nearly at two months without a "hit"! I have been in JoAnn's to look for fabric for new curtains for my remodeled kitchen, but nothing has grabbed me. That's fine.

What things have helped me?
1. unsubscribing to all fabric shop emails
2. staying out of quilt shops
3. visiting my own stash and finding inspiration there
4. staying busy whether at the machine or otherwise--just staying out of tempting places
5. deciding to be content with what I have. I'm so blessed to have what I do. Two dressers full is more than enough.
6. success testimonials here

I'm so glad this thread is here. It helps me to know I have a support group to turn to !
Old 07-27-2015, 01:19 AM
Power Poster

Very cute Martina....so very different to your 'Sue's' ....I've never tried one of these, but it looks a lot of work. Have managed to 'stay on the wagon' except for cotton and 1 metre of a farmyard print I need to finish a project. Have been rummaging through stash which seems to be working well so far. Will post pics when I'm done.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:50 AM

Martina - that's adorable! I'm not sure that the tucks wouldn't just fit in to the rest of the quilt.
Calla - love the orange fabrics.

Sounds like everyone is doing so well. Vacations and hardly any fabric bought then. That would be difficult for me.

Zozee - you're doing so well. Good job.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:24 AM

Zozee: Congratulations. I think you pretty much nailed it in your list. The biggest key to success lies in just not looking. Now if I could just get that down.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:09 AM

I never have that problem with my credit cards, sucks.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Finally have a good enough connection to see the Puff quilt..looks like a comfy one, too, Martina..

And as we avoid temptation we need to sew...my DSis tells me I have to work on bigger projects to get rid of stash...LOL....have 4 mini tops done and working on 4 more......
Old 07-27-2015, 04:55 PM

Well, I did fall off the wagon. I've been so good and so proud of myself. I joined this group in Jan. and have not purchased anything quilt related...until last week. About a yr or so ago, I started putting together a quilt made up of about 5 (got them at a great price) charm square packs. I bought yardage from the same line for cornerstones and borders. I bought Moda Primitive Muslin to sash halfway around each charms and started putting them together. I was very excited. I took pictures of different layouts so I could decide how I wanted to put the whole thing together. Sometime between when I sashed and cornerstoned 1/2 of the 225 charms and now, I thought the outcome was going to be too busy for me. In the last several months, I find that I need lots of neutral space in my work. So, I "unsewed" all those little sashings and cornerstones and ironed down all the charms. Now, I'm creating flying geese (Ricky Timms way) with columns of neutral. And of course, I don't have enough neutral. Missouri Star had the Moda muslin available as 108" backing, so I naturally fell off the wagon..and since shipping was still only $5, I decided to buy the daily special and a ruler. Not too bad....right?
Old 07-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Not bad at all and you'll get your project done, grammyjo...
Old 07-28-2015, 09:50 AM

No fabric purchased since the last thud off the wagon. I have been busting fabric with an I Spy Quilt for DGD birthday and those fabric covered clothesline baskets. Just finished cutting up about 3-4 yards for mastectomy bag kits for our church group to complete. Made an ironing board cover too. Had a charm pack that a fabric rep gave to the customers when he visited the LQS just for answering his questions about quilting fabric. Wasn't sure what to do with it so I decided to test the Twist n Stitch ruler that I forgot I had. With just two rows sewn together, it may be a toss up between these twisters and those clothesline baskets. Once I finish the tabletop, I will add a border, back it and bind all from my stash. Just hope I can stay on the wagon at least until the Houston quilt show.....
Old 07-28-2015, 04:51 PM

grammyjo items needed to complete projects don't exactly count do they? Especially when you/one needs matching fabric.....also I will have to do a search on the Ricky Timms method for flying geese. Auquilter, (gold) those cloth line baskets are nice. I've wanted to make one, but am concerned about if it is hard on the machine. Do you know what size needle to use? My friend took a class from Ami Sims and the friend said her machine did fine, I coddle my machine. The board has been on the quiet side, everyone is busy with summer..........calla