2015 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-26-2015, 07:55 PM

OK...i gotta fall off the wagon! My son just asked me to make 2 baby quilts for the daughter of his boss! She is having twin girls and I have NADA!! Well..maybe a kittle Hello Kitty...yeah, but no! Not enough and nbot precious like twin baby girls...so I am going shopping tomorow..may the force that forces me to fabric shop be with me!
Old 06-27-2015, 04:23 AM

Emma those are gorgeous fabric. Thanks for sharing and letting us live vicariously through you

missgigglewings you shopped the stash first. Sometimes we just don't have what we're looking for (as hard as that is to fathom sometimes).

I just finished purchasing fabric for a whole cloth quilt. Well it will sort of be a whole cloth quilt. Using my sons' baby clothes and I have this idea to make them quilts though it's hard to describe. I shopped the stash first and as hard as I tried I couldn't find the right fabric in the the right amount. Each quilt top would take four yards and would have a seam. I don't have much in that amount in my stash. So I decided to buy quilt backing (so no seam). Can at least start the tops if I ever get time to. Worry about the backs later.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:19 AM

Emma: I'm a beginner and didn't have any stash at all. I had to go and buy even if I needed practice scraps for my FMQ practice. So I think some stash has to be ok. I don't want to be shorting a project because I don't have enough of the right stuff. I have no idea if that is a rationalization or a good idea. But I do know that I'd like to have enough of each color that I could at least audition one of each color to get an idea of which way I'd like to go with an idea.

And I do love that orange floral of yours. I think they used something like that on Sarah's House on TV for a dining room focal fabric and I loved it.

I did buy some filmy fabric for making hair bows. I needed a green and I got a half yard on the remanent table. 50 % off which I considered a good deal.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:05 AM

Emma -- lovely fabric. I'm so sorry I led you astray (not really). Here's a pic of my fall from grace. BUT this fills out my batik collection nicely AND has been my only fabric purchase since a planned purchase in February. So I really don't feel too badly about it. But I'm now climbing back on the wagon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523621[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails batiks.jpg  
Old 06-27-2015, 07:22 AM

Belfry: Let me just say, you have exquisite taste!!! LOL The colors are so beautiful, I don't regret a penney either.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:41 AM

Belfry and Emma, just love your batiks!!!!!

I'm blaming my sister for leading me astray. She invited me to a mini shop hop covering both the row by row and highway 36 hops. We went to MO star quilt company, Crossroads Quilting in Cameron, mo and 2 other shops. I spend money for F-Q's and minor kits, and Halloween fabric for sunbonnet Sue swap. It was a very relaxing day. I greatly enjoyed my day with my sister. FYI, I was doing so well working on my 2 quilt tops I'm trying to get done. 1n 1 more week and both will be done. I did manage to buy border fabric for one of these tops. Yea!!!!

enjoying buying and shopping, ops I meant to say sewing and quilting. LOL
Old 06-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

missgigglewings, if you don't have what is required, then that doesn't count against the spirit of the moratorium. Good luck finding just the right fabric.

happylab, it sounds like the fall from wagon was worth it and the two of you had a lovely time together. Sisters are the best!

belfrybat, those batiks are luscious. You and emma must be sisters from another mister.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:46 AM

Missgiggles gifting for others doesn't count does it when purchasing??? And elly, a wholecloth sounds perfect,
Belfrybat going with family is always a treat.........happylab, row by row only comes about once a year. I too fell with the row by row, but my excuse was that I was 50 miles from home.............couldn't resist the lily pads and such. I am such a weakling .......oh, lunch was good too. And Paper, the craft event sounded too much fun.................pics of what you made..............please...........calla
Old 06-27-2015, 06:02 PM

Gorgeous gorgeous batiks you all make me want to go shopping for more of them lol
Old 06-27-2015, 07:43 PM

I love the batiks posted by Emma and BelfryBat. We have done so much traveling plus having company this month that I have not even had a chance to think about buying anything...except for sending postage to a board member(you know who you are) for a scrap box. Will use that for my next Lozenges quilt that I have started. Then on second trip, my nephew's husband who is a quilter and doesn't like to keep her scraps either, gave me a brown paper bag full of scraps and pieces she didn't want. So, when winter comes my way, I will have plenty to keep me busy with making scrap quips or at least getting the pieces cut into usable sections. Looking forward to my Guild's outing in a few days and when we hit a local quilt shop, I am only looking for a piece of fleece or flannel for a backing for my first Lozenges top. Hope to get it done before end of year. Love how everyone is 'really' trying to be good. Love seeing the pictures, too. One more thought, my sis-in-law gave me a piece of fur cape she got from somewhere. She thought I could try to make a teddy bear with it. Anyone have suggestions for sewing with real 'fur'? Looks kind of scary.