2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Great job...love the closeups on UFO thread...do you use domestic machine?
Thanks, and yes. One thing I found out - my Baby Lock DOES NOT like to sew backwards. Front and both sides is OK but straight back is a bugger. I do spend a bit of time stopping and starting (after the thread breaks).
Old 08-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Martina....I sew on a Baby Lock Symphony at work, but have only blanket stitched, straight stitched and used the walking foot...a new to me experience....I find I'm at a plateau with my FMQ and haven't practiced enough to get into a groove....
Old 08-01-2016, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Thanks Martina....I sew on a Baby Lock Symphony at work, but have only blanket stitched, straight stitched and used the walking foot...a new to me experience....I find I'm at a plateau with my FMQ and haven't practiced enough to get into a groove....
Don't worry about the machine - get yourself a drawing pad and pencil and doodle until that sucker is full. You will be amazed at how much easier the FMQ patterns feel once you have practiced them on paper.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:56 PM

Wow! Everyone has been very busy and been (mostly) very good. Nice projects, everyone! I, too, have been busy and mostly good. I did buy some backing, which is OK, right? A great niece graduated from high school and I made her a quilt. She's a roller derby queen so I fell off the wagon and splurged on a fat quarter of "specialty" fabric from Spoonflower. Believe me, this is NOT going to happen again! Who the heck can afford Spoolflower fabrics on a regular basis? Only did it because this girl is very special and well loved.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

Thanks...I will try to find time to do that...I did get the cow quilt done...not the greatest, but it will do...not too many eyelashes, but need to practice control...it has a flannel backing...does flannel drag a bit? I glue basted and machine stitched the binding...worked pretty good, corners need some improvement. I just have to tell myself to just do it...

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Don't worry about the machine - get yourself a drawing pad and pencil and doodle until that sucker is full. You will be amazed at how much easier the FMQ patterns feel once you have practiced them on paper.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:42 AM

I think flannel does drag or resist a little more. The raised nature of a flannel just isn't as slick as regular cotton.

I fell off the wagon but I was pushed! The DH and I were going for a drive and the man literally stopped the car at the quilt store and turned it off even though I was protesting. Just wanted to do something nice for me and it was a crazy days sale. So eight yards later I emerged.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

What a great hubby, Elly66. I am packing my suitcase today for my 2-week trip to Germany (family visit). I'm already going through no-quilt withdrawals. Then I was going to loan my backup machine to my BFF and the darn machine won't work. Quilla apparently needs to go to the doctor for a checkup. My friend is going to take her for me.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:10 PM

Have fun Martina. Do you do any hand sewing you could take on your trip to help with withdrawals?
Old 08-08-2016, 05:33 AM

well...I guess I have been a good girl this year. I haven't done a thing since about March! No buying, no sewing, no quilting, not even checking the board out and no reasons why! I guess its a mood thing. So I think I will break myself out of this funk and go get something new to start on so I can get back in the swing of things. Surely that will be justified or I might never get those UFO's finished!
Old 08-08-2016, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Treat yourself to a fun project, pyffer3...then sew, sew, sew.....