2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-24-2017, 03:33 PM

oh, and I have to fess up to falling off the wagon today. I went into the LQS to see if they had another tuffet class because DC (dear cousin) brought me a bunch of her late husband's ties last month and asked me to make a tuffet for her. Our LQS has their tuffet classes set up so that if you've already taken one, then for a much lower price, you can come to the 2nd half and get help with the actual upholstery part. So, anyway, I went in to see when they had classes and to buy the interfacing that you use (of course I forgot to get the muslin) and then found myself at their remnant bin(s). I only bought 3.5 yards (at 20% off) and they were all lights, which I am low on...and also a spool of Razzle Dazzle (50% off) to play with in my bobbin...

Rob
Old 03-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

Blame it on the week, Rob. Enjoy your purchases. Love that razzle dazzle thread.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Thanks Martina. Lutrador is similar to non-woven interfacings. I'm not sure what the material is that it's made from. It comes in a variety of weights ranging from very lightweight (like interfacing) all the way up to the weight that I used for this piece which was about the thickness of card stock. Anyway, if you stitch on it with cotton thread and then use a heat gun it will start to develop holes. The holes stop wherever there is cotton thread.

I did a two step process with the stitching, I stitched on it with cotton thread using some of the decorative stitches on my regular sewing machine, then I took it over to my PQ1500 straight stitch machine and FMQ'd it using some of the Westalee templates to get the large spirograph-looking motifs (circles and flower-ish things). The cotton thread did a good job of stopping it from disappearing completely (except where I got a little heavy handed with the heat gun LOL).

That's the lacy effect you see.

Rob
Wow, Rob, that sounds like a lot of work, but rather interesting. I looked for the post, but couldn't find it. Will have to look again tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

Lego quilt is posted on UFO challenge thread. I figure 3 1/2 yds of fabric left the sewing room for this! Yeah

http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...ml#post7790996

Post 661
Old 03-25-2017, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
Wow, Rob, that sounds like a lot of work, but rather interesting. I looked for the post, but couldn't find it. Will have to look again tomorrow.
It's posted in the 2017 UFO challenge. Post #645.

Last edited by rryder; 03-25-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
OK, when it's your own grandchild -- and twins! how special! :-) congratulations! -- then it seems to me like something fresh and new and modern would be a a great choice to give.

...I don't think this thread is the correct one for me. lol I read the comments and always seem to think that buying something is fine.
Oh I agree, buy fabric is fine, just not fine when you have all kinds of fine in your stash, but don't feel like pawing thru it. When you have something in mind to make and do start it once you get the material I think that is fine too. Its the buying because you loved it, or because you liked it so well, you knew you would make something with it, or it talked to you, or you were looking around, you know, senseless buying that you hope you will use some day and it becomes stash too, that is my problem, I don't know about anyone else. The thread has helped me in second thinking when I see things now. I don't know any of the people personally, they wouldn't come to my house and see I did it again, but in the back of my mind I think of this thread and know I can't lie, even if no one really knew but me. It really has helped my thought process, even if that makes so sense. Again, I am only speaking for myself, but all of you people and what you have said has been a blessing to me.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:33 AM

Thanks Rob
Old 03-25-2017, 04:40 AM

Okay, I found it, thank you. I like it, its different and interesting, but the process still seems like a lot of work or maybe more the patience it took to do it. Very nice.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Lego quilt is posted on UFO challenge thread. I figure 3 1/2 yds of fabric left the sewing room for this! Yeah

http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...ml#post7790996

Post 661
While I was there I check out this post too. Nice job on those. I agree with Rob, it sure feels good using up stash. I know I am impressed with myself, how much I have used or finished up in the last three months and I still am wondering if I even see a dent.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:01 AM

Went to Joann and did purchase fabric but only ones that had an immediate purchase. Quite proud of myself and might actually get through a month without a stash purchase!