2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-19-2017, 12:44 PM

Yes, MQ, I do think that is an exemption!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:22 PM

I have not bought any fabric this month or last month. I did buy some notions from JoAnn's. I keep losing my seam rippers and quilting pins, so I ordered the I ordered 2 - 3.5" sq ruler. Other items I keep losing in my sewing room. Now I can finish working on my Bonnie hunter Mystery quilt and start the 365 challenge quilt.

Question of the day. Does anyone know if the titanium blades will work or fit on the fiskars and Olfa cutters? I hear they work well for cutting and last much longer than a normal blade. Also, how well do the blade sharpeners work for blades for these cutters. Will the titanium needles work on a Pfaff sewing machine?
Old 06-20-2017, 05:13 AM

Martina- soul soothing exemption-absolutely!

Happy lab- I'm not positive, but it seems to me that I've read somewhere that you can't sharpen titanium blades.

OK- great mini!

Rob
Old 06-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

happylab, I've used the titanium blade at the shop...I really liked it...and don't know about resharpening. I would think you can use the needle in your machine..if you can use the same brand in your Pfaff then the titanium should work as well. The only difference would be the material the needle is made from....titanium is stronger and will withstand the heat created by friction from rapid sewing.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:09 PM

Hi all!
Thank you for the well-wishes - MrLeta (haha!!) is mostly back to normal, as long as he doesn't "over do it".
I'm really liking the job - it's not as much money as I wanted, so it's going to take awhile to replenish my emergency fund, but I'm by NO means complaining! I have already been a good influence on my team, by programming a couple of "tools" to automate some of our more tedious processes.

In the meantime, I've been playing with the threads that came in, testing to see which ones I like best before I actually start on my LoneStar. I posted the sketch awhile back, and here's my "test" version. As usual, it didn't go quite exactly as I had planned, but it's close. I think I have decided that I'm going to use more color in here too, not just the white/gray. And I'm still "on the wagon"... being broke does make you think twice... or 3 or 4 or 5 times... before buying a 'non-necessity", especially since I have tons of stash that needs to be used up.
Attached Thumbnails lone-star-test.jpg  
Old 06-23-2017, 04:54 AM

Leta that's beautiful! Your quilting is always so wonderful.
Love your mini ok. Your patience to work on those is amazing! Your friend is sure to love it.
Connie what a beautiful haul!

I bought a bolt of white solid fabric that the price was too good to pass up. Didn't need it yet but I just couldn't say no.
The more hubby talks about retirement - the more I seem to be buying staples for quilting. The Connecting Threads thread sale I also purchased thread and am considering purchasing more needles as well. But I have been resisting fabric except the staples. We'll see if I keep to it.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

LOVE that block, leta. Glad you like the job.

I have been sick. Picked up a respiratory bug camping and it hit my lungs - HARD. Today is my first day back at work and I still sound like I am coughing up hairballs. What a miserable week it's been. Living in record heat didn't help. Fortunately we have A/C. No sewing for me right now though. I have absolutely no energy.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:34 PM

Leta, such lovely quilting #715. I love it.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

OK, Love your mini! I can't even imagine working with pieces that small.
Leta, sounds like the new job is starting off well. that 'practice' piece is just stunning!!! What are the dimensions?
Martina, your illness sounds like the insult after the injury of your camping trip. Glad you are feeling better.
Elly, to my flawed way of thinking, if you are going to buy fabric that's not for a specific project, a neutral is always a good purchase because it goes with everything. Based on this theory, you should see my HUGE pile of neutrals!
Old 06-24-2017, 03:09 AM

Leta- that is beautiful. I bet if you add color it'll be even more of a show-stopper!

Martina- I hope you feel better soon. Try to stay cool. Hopefully the heat wave will end soon.

Elly- white is always useful, so it doesn't count

Paperprincess- obviously I don't think your thinking is at all flawed

Rob