2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

Thanks, I am starting to feel somewhat human again. Time between coughing fits is getting longer.

Buying neutrals to add to stash shouldn't count against the moratorium. Neutrals are like seasonings for cooking. Gotta have salt, pepper, and thyme.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:33 PM

OOPS! Went to store to show them an idea I had for using panels. Then a "shiny object caught my attention. Remembered I needed navy and gold for a quilt I was making. Then saw a super black and white and got carried away.
I also went to JoAnn's. I bought fabric to alter some shirts and the back to a quilt that the top is finished.These are exclusions right? Oh yeh. Bought fabric to make a blouse.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:05 PM

PaperPrincess, the dimensions are 20" square. That's the size of the blocks in between the Lone Star "arms".

RRyder, I know you've done some amazing stuff with specialty threads - do you think it would be "too much of a muchness" if I added some of those (probably have to try my hand at some bobbin work)?

MadQuilter, if you have access to some essential oils, I highly recommend a blend of peppermint and eucalyptus, in a diffuser and/or as a topical rub. If you have access to the DoTerra brand, they have a blend called "Breathe" that I use when I get bronchitis. I put it on my chest, throat and sinuses, as well as in the diffuser. Hope you feel better soon - these kinds of nasties are SO HARD to get rid of in the summer!!
Old 06-27-2017, 02:45 AM

Leta- I don't think it would be too much to add some specialty threads. You'll definitely need to experiment with tensions both top and bottom so plan on making a few more samples to play with.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 06-27-2017 at 02:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:47 PM

RRyder, I just ordered some more colors from YLI for the "regular" stitching. That's what I'm liking best so far in this quilt. And I think what I will do is play with doing some bobbin work on my DSM after I add the colors.
Maybe this "practice" piece will get quilted to death... then I'll do one more that I hope will be closer to my "final version".

I'm expecting one of my regular customers to come by before too long, so I'll have to do those quilts before I get to the actual Lone Star that this design is going to sit on.
In a way, I'm sad that I don't have too many LA customers - not much income there...
But on the other hand, since I'm back on my "real" job, I don't stress about having a bunch of quilts waiting to be done.

Speaking of which, I just remembered I have two charity quilts (QOV) waiting in the wings. Those will need to be done by September (the next LA guild meeting that I can get to). So, not a lot of stress there either.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:13 AM

Well, I stepped off the wagon somewhat but climbed back on quickly. I gave myself "permission" to spend $30.00 at the quilt show earlier this month. I spent $12.00. I needed some matching fabric for a swap block I'm in so went to Joann's. I purchased a yard. OK - both of those purchases were "on plan". But when at Joann's I was grabbed by a two bolts of fabric in my favourite colours. I purchased two yards of each. THAT was not on plan and added to my stash.

In my defence, this is the first off-plan purchase this year. AND I finished four quilts this month totalling over 12 yards. But still.... I am now back on the wagon and have taken the fabric moratorium pledge all over again.

Do I still get a birthday exemption in September, or have I blown it?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Of course you still get the birthday exemption, belfrybat. We can fall off (or jump off) the wagon, plead mea culpa and then wait gleefully for the next excursion to the fabric store which often is a sanctioned exemption.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Belfry, do not fear, you did not loose your birthday exemption!
Off to the cottage today. Nephew purchased a lot near by with a rickety garage that he and my husband will be dismantling this weekend. Niece & kids will be on the water, so I hope to get some sewing done... with my stash!!!
Old 06-30-2017, 01:23 PM

I'm a little late to the show, but this sounds great. I am already working on Christmas gifts for a very large extended family and have decided to haul out two very large totes of holiday fabric. I think all these families need Christmas place mats, BAM, A bunch of Christmas fabric gone. I see lots of scrap quilts for gifts as well. A lot of things have happened in my life lately, so I'll have more time for sewing, this is a great challange for me and I plan to take it and run. Wish me luck. I've been away from the board for a long time and glad to be back.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:27 PM

Sweetwaterquilter -- welcome to the moratorium. I like your idea of Christmas presents and hope you will post pics of your place mats.

Thanks, guys and gals for the lift back onto the wagon. And I still get my birthday exemption! Whoo Hoo!!!