2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-04-2017, 04:44 PM

Way to go Belfrybat!

I used up more orphan blocks. I added sashing, tumblers, and 3 blocks but everything else was found in donated stash-blocks and long strip pieces. 67.5" by 78"

Another 4 yards gone.

I was in the Amana Colonies a few weeks ago and stopped at two quilt stores. Oh, my! The beauty of the fabric and the sample quilts took my breath away. I only bought 3 tiny remnants, a pattern, and a wooden holder for my rulers.
Good thing I didn't have much time to look and feel the luscious fabrics at Fern's. Lol!

Connie[ATTACH=CONFIG]575874[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 07-04-2017, 05:50 PM

I love that, Connie! A row by row scrappy. Perfect!

Rob
Old 07-04-2017, 06:54 PM

Connie/RetiredTeacher, I LOVE your orphan blocks quilt!! How awesome is that!!

BelfryBat, that wasn't too hard of a fall off the wagon - after all, using 66 yards this year is quite an accomplishment!!

Sweetwaterquilter, jump right in!! Having this crowd to support you in NOT buying (mostly) and using up stash will be a big help. I have managed to only buy backing fabric (2 bolts) when a local wholesale company did their "open to the public" day. Other than that, no fabric purchases for me so far this year. And while I have not kept track of the yardage, I have made some inroads into using my stash.

RoseIrish48, you must be very organized to get that many quilts done each month!! I think my hubby would divorce me of that volume of fabric came into our house - even if it WAS donated!! I'm trying to use mine up, not add to it!

I received the teal/turquoise threads from YLI, and I finished my "practice piece" with those colors. But, since I left my cell phone-to-computer USB thingy at work, I'll have to wait until later to upload the pic with it nestled between the Lone Star arms. I did post it on Facebook, and my quilting friends there were all over it, loving the teal colors.

Rryder, I'm trying to decide if I like it this way or if I need to add the specialty threads. After I "nestled" it with the Lone Star, I'm thinking of adding some hot-fix crystals, probably at the points of the "crown" and in the center of the circles. Thing is, I've never done the hot-fix, so that will be something new to learn as well. And since this will be an actual bed-sized quilt (and not a wall-hanging), the long-term expectation would be for this to actually go on a bed. So that brings up another quandary - do I ACTUALLY want to do the crystals and/or specialty threads if this will ultimately be used? My original plan was to enter this into the 2018 MQX show, so it would need some kind of "bling" I think to make it with the competition that is usually there.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Nice job, Connie....another donation quilt to keep someone warm. I am at a standstill. Hopefully no more fabric to come in, but just haven't had time to sew and looks like it's not going to get better soon...ugh...I need my therapy!
Old 07-05-2017, 07:28 AM

Love that Connie. I don't know how you do that. Everytime I attempt using my orphan blocks (putting them out on a design wall) I can never find ones to go with each other. Good thing I always need potholders I guess .

Waiting anxiously to see your work Leta. Always a treat.

roseirish48 what an inspiration that many quilts in a month!

Ok sorry your therapy's on hold. I have had all the grown sons home for the 4th which is wonderful - however they are staying the rooms where my sewing and fabric are. Yesterday I was really itching to do some sewing and realized I was even getting a little cranky about it.
Everyone is taking off today so while I'll get to go back to my sewing - I'll miss them lots. Best world is a large room to sew and rooms for people to stay at the same time. Maybe someday!
Old 07-06-2017, 09:56 AM

Connie I love the orphan blocks, that is so much fun to do. Our guild is doing orphan block swaps this month and that's always a good time. I wrap all my fabric on boards if it is a yard or more, I have managed to empty 7 boards and that is not including all the Christmas fabric I am using. I have managed to bring two large totes full to the brim down to one about 3/4 full. The boards are not in the totes, they live on a very large bookcase arranged by color. I really do hate to mention the 13 totes of various sizes where the kits,precuts, licensed fabrics and other cuts less than a yard live. Hubby thinks when I empty boards I should throw them away and find other uses for empty totes, what a spoil sport. Well, girls "Happy Sewing." Gail
Old 07-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

Good job, sweetwaterquilter..
Old 07-06-2017, 07:45 PM

Leta- not sure how well hot fix crystals would hold up in a quilt that gets used, though people do put them on clothes... some of the specialty threads could add some nice sparkle, but I'm not sure if things like the metallics or the holographic threads that would give you sparkle would be any more durable than hot fix crystals.... I've only used those kinds of thread on wall/ art quilts that don't get laundered....

Rob
Old 07-07-2017, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

I think your DH is a bit confused about the bords and bins, Gail. They are reusable and refillable. Tsk, tsk. Spoil sport indeed. lol

The wagon may actually be one person short this weekend as I still have to cash in my $40 gift certificate I have from an LQS (won it at the guild). Not sure what I am going to get yet. Will fess up though.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:45 PM

From a box of oriental fabrics given to me from the comfort quilts group, I've made 11 quilt tops and 7-9 kits. Much of the coordinating fabric also was from their stash. Some fabric is from my stash. I've bought black, dark grey, and 2 coordinating fabrics. Currently have a plan on the design wall. It needs a dark periwinkle and a mint green that aren't in my stash. Since I'll be in town tomorrow, I'll stop by the store. Then tomorrow pm, it's figure out a design.

Sorry they're on the side. New computer learning curve.

The box contains 4-5 more large prints. [ATTACH=CONFIG]576054[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]576055[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn2606.jpg   dscn2615.jpg