Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

Libster, great finish. Love those blues.

Beautiful quilt, Libster. What method of QAYG do you use? The one I saw demonstrated called for hand sewing the sections of backing together and I don't care for hand sewing. Is yours the same? If not, can you direct me to a link?

I am making progress on two UFOs. I had sandwiched a quilt over a year ago and FMQ the inner portion but not the border. I've marked the border and will quilt it tomorrow and hopefully have a finish this weekend. The other is a spicey spiral that I've had cut out for ages. I sewed the wedges together last evening so now just have to finish it up. Again, hopefully by the end of the weekend.

Blog Entries
    Janice said she wanted to hear some chatter so here is my 2 cents worth. It is so encouraging seeing all the 'finishes' being posted. I am also tickled to see many familiar names that I recognize. I had hoped to get started on some of my UFO's this week but Mother Nature had other plans for me and DH. For past 3 days we have been playing with snow, slush, rain and ice. The snow we can handle but the other 3 make for not fun times. To make things worse, I got a real deal on a 6 month-old sewing machine 2 weeks ago so am really anxious to learn about all it can do. I did get to try out some basic sewing on it and made a receiving blanket, the self-binding kind and then just a 'right sides together, sew around, turn and crosshatch quilt for the 2 year old 'big' sister. I think I am going to like the new machine really well. Hardest part to get used to is the buttons for the presser foot up and down. I would really like a refresher course on QAYG as the last one I did was about 5 years ago. I know it is a lot easier to quilt smaller sections so can someone direct me to the tutorial on here. :-) Also, I am one of us who is NOT counting all my UFO's. If I can get 3 quilts finished this year, I will really feel like I have accomplished something and I can ride this train again in 2018. I have chattered enough but glad to be on board!
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Blog Entries
    I pulled out some 9P's I started after a 1.5" swap here on the QB in April of 2010

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...-a-t42414.html

I have over 50 blocks to sew and about 35 to match in 9P's...the biggest challenge is to not repeat the squares...guess this is in my UFO list to finish..I think it's old enough....
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    Beautiful quilt, Libster. What method of QAYG do you use? The one I saw demonstrated called for hand sewing the sections of backing together and I don't care for hand sewing. Is yours the same? If not, can you direct me to a link?

I am making progress on two UFOs. I had sandwiched a quilt over a year ago and FMQ the inner portion but not the border. I've marked the border and will quilt it tomorrow and hopefully have a finish this weekend. The other is a spicey spiral that I've had cut out for ages. I sewed the wedges together last evening so now just have to finish it up. Again, hopefully by the end of the weekend.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ml#post7703189

This is the tutorial that sewbizgirl posted for us over in the Boom 17, Opal Group, page 121, message #1204
    The only thing I did different on my last quilt was the backing strips. I used flannel for backing, so I cut the 1 inch backing strips from flannel too. It makes the back look like it's 1 piece that way rather than squares. Just depends on what you want your back to look like.
    The only hand sewing I did was the back of the binding. My binding is cut 2 1/4" wide and pressed in half. I sew it down by machine on the front, mitering the corners, then turn it to the back, pin in place and hand finish. I love this method!
    Last edited by Libster; 01-11-2017 at 02:59 AM.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Libster that quilt is beautiful! What a great finish.
    Erin

Blog Entries
    Nice poncho Rob. Good story also.
    Libster, beautiful boom swap quilt.

Alitariss, I put my projects on an excel spreadsheet to help me keep track. I am glad I did. It helps to keep me under control. I am slowly getting the UFO projects done first.

None finished yet, but working on them. Having to do a wedding scrap quilt first, then a couple of finishes will be coming along the pike.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    QuilterMomma, looking forward to seeing some more of your UFO completes, I love the way you do colors.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my chatter, just trying to stay activity with the board. And I am working on a project for my #3 grandson it's been lying in that pile for three years, it's time to shake it out. Happy UFO'ing.

Thank you for the link to the tute on QAYG, Libster.

Blog Entries
    I second the thanks for the link to the QAYG tutorial. Thanks Libster.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Some Chatter from me. Not much to report except frustration. I decided to finish a baby quilt. Expected to take just a few hours to finish, only needed quilting and binding. Well, I started off well, then started having problems with stitching being wierd. Turns out the needle had bent at the end. Began again. I was about 3/4 of the way done when I began to get rat's nests on the bottom. Cleaned, etc. Tore out, restitch. Over and over again. I decided to use my trusty old machine to finish it. I got it partly done and same problem. I threw it across the room, back it was going to the UFO and I off the the store to buy a gift. But I couldn't let that quilt beat me. So I didn't leave the house. Finished the quilting by hand. Won't look as great but it would be done. Then the binding. Well, I got it half on and the nests began again. GRRRR. Turns out a little 2 yr old helper reset the tension to zero. LOL

Blog Entries
    Oh no, Jeanine. Those little hands sure are fast.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    But glad that's all the problem was, Jeanine...yes those little ones can be so quick...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Libster that is a beautiful quilt!! you should be proud of yourself for finishing it. And I love the poncho looks like it would be super cozy. I went digging in my sewing room closet and found 4 UFOs lurking there. Two of which were started the year my husband was terminally ill, and put away One of them I can't find the pattern for sigh. Usually keep everything together but heck it has been over 3 years now soooo will put that one aside til the pattern shows up. i am in the middle of finishing up a panel qilt for Christmas that has been sitting waiting for over a year 1/2 way done with the top anyway .

Thanks oksewglad and MadQuilter. About that 2 year old, She came to me yesterday with a pin saying "here you go". She had taken in out of the quilt and brought it to me to put it away. She was so proud of herself! Perhaps I have a budding quilter.

Jeanine, such cute chatter. 2 years old are so cute and fast.

I love the finishes so far. The blue quilt very pretty. I like the fabric and colors.

�� Good job on the poncho. At least it's off the UFO pile.

Happy sewing everyone. I need to decide what UFO to finish next. Decisions, decisions.

Oh, no. How frustrating! Happy you figured out your "helper's" little tension change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanine View Post
    Some Chatter from me. Not much to report except frustration. I decided to finish a baby quilt. Expected to take just a few hours to finish, only needed quilting and binding. Well, I started off well, then started having problems with stitching being wierd. Turns out the needle had bent at the end. Began again. I was about 3/4 of the way done when I began to get rat's nests on the bottom. Cleaned, etc. Tore out, restitch. Over and over again. I decided to use my trusty old machine to finish it. I got it partly done and same problem. I threw it across the room, back it was going to the UFO and I off the the store to buy a gift. But I couldn't let that quilt beat me. So I didn't leave the house. Finished the quilting by hand. Won't look as great but it would be done. Then the binding. Well, I got it half on and the nests began again. GRRRR. Turns out a little 2 yr old helper reset the tension to zero. LOL
    HappyNana, isn't it interesting how we put away tops and then find them later, practically having forgotten making them?

Quiltermomma, I'm also looking forward to more finishes. You make such beautiful quilts.

I'm at a standstill until Sunday afternoon on my scrappy quilt. Lots of things to do between now and then but come Sunday, I'll be back at it.

Libster, thank you for sharing Sewbizgirl's tutorial. It's the method I plan to use on my scrappy quilt. Yours really turned out well. I added it to the Boom gallery btw.
    Last edited by Janice McC; 01-12-2017 at 01:32 PM.
    Boom gallery: www.boomerangswaps.weebly.com

Janice McC

Thanks, Janice.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Blog Entries
    Working on my daughter's quilt I started in 2014. Not sure how it will come out, but hoping well. I am stuck on the pattern and sure I have overcut the strips needed. We shall see. I have entered in the Boom 18 to help out with the my issues.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanine View Post
    Thanks oksewglad and MadQuilter. About that 2 year old, She came to me yesterday with a pin saying "here you go". She had taken in out of the quilt and brought it to me to put it away. She was so proud of herself! Perhaps I have a budding quilter.

We have to start them early to boost their confidence later....8 is the magic # at my house...GD#5 turns 8 in March and she can't wait...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    I have 8 more 9P's to sew for my project...didn't realize I was so close to getting ready to set them...now to check out the stash for setting squares and borders...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    Yeah Oksewglad, good job girl. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    We have to start them early to boost their confidence later....8 is the magic # at my house...GD#5 turns 8 in March and she can't wait...
    Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. In fact, I'll add it to my calendar now.

I love what everyone has done. I just don't see how you all get so much done in the same 24 hours a day!

Blog Entries
    Jeanine, let her play with charm square scraps...I have an old FP pink toy plastic sewing machine..my Grands have "sewn" many quilts...early fondling of fabric I would think...

Thanks QMomma...9P's all sewn with a few extras...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I've been working away assembling swap blocks I received about three years ago into a quilt. Have it at the flimsy stage. I guess it doesn't officially count until it's actually quilted and bound, but at least it is a lot closer to being done than blocks sitting in a plastic bag. This will be a charity quilt. I have another almost finished -- just have to bind it. Also am working on three WIPs, one of which is En Provence mystery. Phew!

Name:  UFO quilt 1.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  200.6 KB

Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 56 ... LastLast