Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Fabric Moratorium

I am "in" for 2018. I think I'm off to a good start....I am not even participating in my usual "Saturday Sampler" for the year. I have so many quilts to complete......and so much fabric in my stash......I am determined to join the moratorium. I am ready, willing and able! Good luck to us all......we can do it together!!

I'm in!!!!! Can actually easily close drawers after last years challenge!! Now if I keep it up it will pay for me to fold things nicely and know what I have. Oh the joy of quilting!!!!!!!!

I really should do this!
    Pat
    Brother NQ 3500D
    HQ Avanté

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking of following "so scrappy" and her monthly rainbow scrap challenge. This will help get rid of some of those fabrics!

http://superscrappy.blogspot.com/p/rsc18.html
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Oksewglad: Thanks for the link to So Scrappy. I was trying to find her link a few weeks ago. I knew what I was looking for but obviously didn’t put in the right words. Lol! I subscribed so I can follow along and do the blocks.

Connie

Blog Entries
    Connie...I just need to figure out how to approach this challenge...I don't want to willy nilly make up blocks that end up in UFO land...we all know about those projects! How big of fabrics to use is another question. I'm not interested in doing the challenge quilt listed in the link. I'm thinking of making big HST's (6" finished)...I have a chunk of white and gray somewhere...okay now thinking outloud...ugh I have end of the year bookwork to do too.....throwing lots of rain on my quilt parade!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I'll join this year so as to keep my stash appetite in check. I've done pretty well without accountability, but this year my word is "contentment" and I want to be content with less fabric --by actually making more projects from what I have.

I'm going to try to record my inventory as well.

But don't worry; I'm a strong believer in keeping the brick & mortar quilt shops in business. Because of their higher prices, though, I tend to be more intentional about what I buy in my LQS anyway.

I am So weak!! I really don't know if I could do this but my stash is crazy...mostly precuts and FQ's which are my downfall...but I have a lot of yardage (7 whole bolts, too) that I should get into...I just don't. I'm starting a Baltimore album quilt this year and will be shopping on Thursday for the fabric...which will be a lot of yardage (20 yards) and there is nothing in my stash that I can use or have enough of (reproduction fabric). I need to buy all at once to guard against discontinued fabrics since this will likely be a 2-year project. I will join and do my best. I think just making a commitment to shop my stash first will be a huge step...
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-06-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

The fabric moratorium is such a good idea that we started one on another forum in regards to weaving yarn:-) No yarn buying "just because", shop the stash first. Thanks for being such a good influence on me! It will be interesting to see which wagon I fall off of first
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k25 HC, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

Would like to join again this year. After several years of participating feel like last year was finally a success! I definitely controlled the "fabric bug" better.
    Erin

I haven't purchased fabric all year!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post

Me either!!!!!
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I am in! I did ok last year better the year before but I really am limited on space and have far more fabric then is really reasonable and I need to be better at sticking to a budget! I know I will need to buy batting and some backing but really I played yesterday and was able to pull fabric in multiple colorways for quilts so what I have is very usable I just need to use it.

I got my 1st box of fabric I bought before the new year. Waiting second box and i’m Done buying for a while. The fabric is so pretty. It’s mostly batiks. I’m going to use the fabric for my 365 challenge I will be working on off and on this year and maybe next.

I’m so glad everyone have been shopping stash 1st before buying. Congrats everyone.

Hi,
    I want to participate. My stash is out of controle : + 500 yards of fabrics. I'm a handmade quilter. with a job (35 hours/week). I make one or too quilts for year only.
    My resolution : buy no fabrics, no books ou patterns, no notions. Only treath fot pieced or quilting.

Scuse my english, i'm a french girl !

Blog Entries
    Sew good to see returning folks and wonderful to have new ones join in! I think we all love pretty fabric and that's a big part of our problem.

Eva, think of all the quilts you can make when that full time job doesn't interfere with your play time!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    I think I started this last year and let it slide. This year I am desperate! I need to cut back on fabric! I am actually embarrassed and a little ashamed as to the amount of fabric I have. I am currently working on organizing my sewing room. When I'm finished I will be quilting. I have so many UFOs I refuse to count them.
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    I haven't either. 4 days with no fabric buying.
    The best kind of sleep beneath heaven above is under a quilt hand made with love. Anonymous

Ok...I did good, today. My goal this year was to buy only the fabric I needed for my Baltimore Album quilt I'm starting. Today, I visited 3 quilt shops and was able to find 1 of 5 fabrics for this project and that is All I bought. It was killing me....those stupid FQ's were yelling at me "lookie over here...I'm so pretty!" ... FQ Brats...
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-06-2018 at 04:27 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Yeah! I think we are all on a roll! It's January 5th and no purchases for me! I'm kind of cheating because I'm out of town and not shopping for anything! But, I'm committed this year!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    I'm thinking of following "so scrappy" and her monthly rainbow scrap challenge. This will help get rid of some of those fabrics!

http://superscrappy.blogspot.com/p/rsc18.html
    Oksewglad, I have been following her for years but have never actually followed the color challenge. I think this will fit in fine with my plans for 2018. There s another bom that I am starting tomorrow that uses only scraps you have on hand.
    Academicquilter.com The bom is called squared away---2018 bom

The above link doesn't work and I don't know how to fix it. Sorry. it's academic quilter.
    Last edited by sunrise450; 01-05-2018 at 08:08 AM.
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm in again too. Life has been rather stressful lately and I have major back problems because of it. That makes sewing and quilting a challenge. However, yesterday one of the stress factors resolved itself. My father-in-law passed away peacefully in his sleep and while I will miss him, I am glad that he is free from pain. The last 3 months have been all about his care and it will be nice to get back to some semblance of order. Work is also getting straightened out. That leave cleaning out the sewing room. Aaaarrrggghhh! What a mess.

I'm going in! If you don't hear from me in a few days send out the cavalry. That means I might be buried in a soft pile. lol (No, it's not really all that bad)
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-06-2018 at 04:27 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sunrise450 View Post
    Oksewglad, I have been following her for years but have never actually followed the color challenge. I think this will fit in fine with my plans for 2018. There s another bom that I am starting tomorrow that uses only scraps you have on hand.
    Academicquilter.com The bom is called squared away---2018 bom

The above link doesn't work and I don't know how to fix it. Sorry. it's academic quilter.
    Like you, I've been following and this will be the first time for me as well.

Here we go...gonna check this out...thanks for sharing.

http://academicquilter.blogspot.com/
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

OK, for those of us who aren't really "scrappy", but want to make in impact on the stash, I"ll tell you what I just started...

First of all, this knocked me off of my self-imposed "don't start anything new" promise. I had finished (or nearly finished) a couple of UFO's, and just Really wanted something new... but simple. Then I saw MSQC's "Grand Adventures" tutorial, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F-_hH4hNxA ) and the light bulb went off - This is where I can use those Asian fabrics that are "too pretty to cut". However, since this was yardage for me (not layer cakes), I decided to cut my squares at 11", stitch on the diagonal, then square up the HST to 10". Then I have the oh-so-familiar 2 1/2" strips, rather than the very odd 2 3/8" in Jenny's tutorial. And, yes, I understand why she came up with the number. Other than using a larger block and resulting larger strips, the directions are the same.

I'm really happy with how this is looking... like jewels... so, I'm going to call this "Jewels from Mt. Fuji". I'm still cutting and piecing the blocks, but will post pics in a day or so. This is going pretty doggone fast, so I may have a new "favorite pattern" for awhile.

So far, I've used 6 yards of stash, and have almost enough blocks for half of a queen sized top.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-06-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Leta in Upstate SC

Happy New Year to everyone. I have purchased one fabric, but it was additional yardage of OOP fabric off ebay. Last summer I went crazy when visiting Hancocks in Paducah. I needed an extra bag to fly home. So for the rest of 2018 I know of one fabric I need to buy for setting squares for on point top. I have already bought 2 fabrics without the blocks with me that didn't match. I have a gift card from the LQS so I will just that and hope that will be it......
    Lisa

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast