Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
    OK, for those of us who aren't really "scrappy", but want to make in impact on the stash, I"ll tell you what I just started...

First of all, this knocked me off of my self-imposed "don't start anything new" promise. I had finished (or nearly finished) a couple of UFO's, and just REALLY wanted something new... but simple. Then I saw MSQC's "Grand Adventures" tutorial, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F-_hH4hNxA ) and the light bulb went off - THIS is where I can use those Asian fabrics that are "too pretty to cut". However, since this was yardage for me (not layer cakes), I decided to cut my squares at 11", stitch on the diagonal, then square up the HST to 10". Then I have the oh-so-familiar 2 1/2" strips, rather than the very odd 2 3/8" in Jenny's tutorial. And, yes, I understand why she came up with the number. Other than using a larger block and resulting larger strips, the directions are the same.

I'm really happy with how this is looking... like jewels... so, I'm going to call this "Jewels from Mt. Fuji". I'm still cutting and piecing the blocks, but will post pics in a day or so. This is going pretty doggone fast, so I may have a new "favorite pattern" for awhile.

So far, I've used 6 yards of stash, and have almost enough blocks for half of a queen sized top.
    This sounds intriguing! Can't wait to see it when you are done! I think you were smart to make the 11" square!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Here is a fabric reduction quilt top plus it uses many donated orphan blocks so it qualifies for the UFO thread also. Wahoo!

72" by 78" so 4 1/3 yards of fabric used. My church group will finish and donate it.

Connie

I have a hard time getting my quilt tops to hang smoothly on my design wall.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 266
Size:  126.9 KB
    Last edited by retiredteacher09; 01-06-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Another one to take off the wall

My college BB team lost in OT...time to go pout in the Sewing room. Light and medium blue HST's here I come...watch out scrap pile!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Oksewglad: I'm hoping your pout will soon turn into a smile when you start sewing. . The college bb team I was watching lost too.

Time to head to my sewing room also. My Bonnie Hunter leader/ender Rail Fence top is giving me fits. I keep sewing the rail blocks together wrong for the pattern! So now it will go on the design wall until I get it figured out. Grrr! Lol!

Connie

I'm working on finishing up projects I started last year (it sounds so long ago). So far these projects aren't UFO's yet. I'm in the process of buying fabric for the 365 challenge. I have all of the blocks printed off. Now I'm waiting for the FQ's to come in the mail. I'm curious how many years this will take me. I really like the pattern. Still undecided on what colors to use. I only want to use about 4 colors of different shades.

Last week I bought thread and a few small rulers for squaring from JoAnn's. I picked those up on Friday. All were 50% off. Since I p/u I had no shipping price. For me a win-win. I so do love buying on the internet and p/u.

Blog Entries
    A productive night. I have decided that 4 1/2" HST's is the optimum size to cut from my scraps...I have 17 sets of 10 blue HST's done, plus the scraps cut into various widths from 3/4" to 3". My next step is to cut light HST's to pair with the blues. I have some white on white scraps that will work. This will make 40 x 68 flimsy...sounds doable to me! Then to get it sewn. I have plans for the 2, 2 1/2 and 3" strips I cut as well.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Count me in for this year so far so good! Need to reduce stash so this is the year !
    ​Christine

Blog Entries
    Woo, hoo! Not only have I gone one whole week, but I've talked myself out of a purchase. I bought 2 yards of an ombre type fabric, just because I liked it. I decided to use it for the HST quilt
    http://knitnlit.blogspot.com/2012/09...-triangle.html

but realized that I needed a couple additional yards. I went thru my stash and find something else that will work. Yay!
    Martina: so sorry to hear about your father-in-law.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My friend is making great progress on her quilt. She finished the top yesterday and decided that the backing fabric just didn't work. (I knew that the first minute I saw it but I'm proud of her for recognizing it now and developing those skills.) So we went to Joann. She got tons of stuff at 50% off and I was just happy to help her pick. I didn't buy a single thing lalalalala.

Blog Entries
    Stay strong folks and use the stash when possible.
    So sorry about your FIL, Martina. It is a bittersweet time for your family as you celebrate his life.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Martina- I'm so sorry to hear about your father in law.

I fell off the wagon today, sort of, I bought 3 yards of RJR handspray black that I need to finish my temperature quilt.--the black is hard to come by, could only find it from a seller on Etsy, but got a good deal, so I'm happy. Hopefully I can find another yard or two somewhere since I really need about 4.5 yards to do the borders, etc.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Rob - it doesn't count if we buy to finish a project. You're not adding to your stash.

Day 7 and I still haven't purchased fabric! However, I did get a lovely box full in the mail from a friend to use in my prayer quilts. I wasn't expecting it so it came as a lovely surprise!

Martina..... So sorry about your FIL but it sounds like you are at peace because he is. So hard to watch someone we love suffer. Sending warm vibes your way..

Today, I went on a "mad dash thru stash" for a specific green needed...I needed about 1/2 yard....and I found some. Phew! I, also, realized that a bolt of fabric that I have had for a year and never tore off the plastic is the perfect color for the backing of the quilt I'm working on right now. I was worried because I'm making a queen size....and it's perfect. I'm thrilled because I have no clue why I bought a bolt of this fabric other than sale, of course.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Sorry about your FIL Martina.
    I have started the year out right with no fabric purchases either. I have done some shopping for a backing for a double wedding ring quilt but haven't found what I want.
    Erin

I think this is a great idea! At then of 2017 I received a very generous gift of scraps from a fellow quilter who was moving. I can't believe the wonderful pieces in here!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. We are all doing well and remembering the good times. He had such a unique colloquial way to tell stories. They always started with "so I goes to....." That memory alone makes me chuckle. DH is taking care of his mom - he is such a good man. So all is moving in the right direction.

I took some time yesterday to plot out the next two tops. One will be "kitties in the X-mas tree" using Jenny Doan't cat pattern in christmassy fabrics. I picked up a layer cake on sale. The background will come from stash. It isn't a perfect match but I'll make it work.

The next one will be the snails trail with the batik I picked during my last splurge of the year.

I did finish a double-mitt pot holder but don't really like it. That pattern needs to go back to the drawing board.

I haven't purchased anything but I did get a paper grocery bag full of fabric scraps from a baby charity. For now, it's all staying in the bag and not going into the sewing room until I have it sorted by color. Hopefully, I will get that done this week.

Connie

Blog Entries
    LOL Connie...we had quilt guild meeting today. I was gifted zip locks with scraps, but only 3 small bags. Deanne has them sorted so will be easy to put them away. Phew dodged an evening of sorting there...now to see what for tiny treasures she has given me.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Next week I'm headed to the Road to Calif quilt show and I'm a bit nervous I'll buy a bunch of stuff so I am limiting the money I take. Precits are typically ridiculously low priced at this quilt show...this will be my downfall so I am gonna go thru what I have and only (fingers crossed) consider buying complimentary fabrics. Best laid plans, and all.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I don't know if I can go full-on fabric purchase moratorium. But I do like the idea of using more than I buy throughout the year.

I might do the yardage tally on purchases vs. used and see if I can come in with a negative number at the end of the year.

So far this year so good! LOL

Sorry for your loss Martina, always a tough time for friends and loved ones. Glad to hear you are remembering the good times and also that you have a good husband and a wonderful hobby. Its such a good thing to have a go to place.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Redstiletto, remember - There are exceptions - muahahahaha!

Thanks Rhonda Lee, yes - I am a lucky girl.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-15-2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Well, I am So Proud of myself!!!
    There is a fabric store called "Mary Jo's Cloth Store"... many of you may have heard of it. For a long time, it was also known as "Quilter's Heaven", because she had Everything!!
    Well, I drove right past it yesterday, and didn't even slow down!!!!
    I'm so happy with my will-power! LOL!

So, I'm still working on my "Jewels From Mt. Fuji", and it's coming along pretty good. I didn't sew for a couple of days, I was just too tired. But I worked on it a little this evening, and I am still really loving this pattern.
    For my next version, I think I'm going to try altering it again by turning sideways... and use Southwestern colors... and it Should come out looking like the Navajo blankets and beadwork jewelry.

<sigh> if I didn't have to work, I might have time to chase all these ideas I have.
    We're supposed to be off next Monday for MLK's b-day... but the IT team is doing some software migration, so I may have to work after all to check that everything converted properly. Either way, it's good - if I'm off, I should be able to finish piecing "Jewels"... if I work, that's more $$ for ... anything other than fabric!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-15-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Leta in Upstate SC

Blog Entries
    You are so good, Leta. I've passed by Mary Jo's twice as it's on the way to our son's...lucky MrOk and my check book as it was closed both times we went through!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

OMG y'all. I just received my sale notice for Marshall Dry Goods. Mercy!
    Save me....

LOL

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast