Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Fabric Moratorium

Stay Strong Redstilettos! and pm me the info on the sale

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    You are so good, Leta. I've passed by Mary Jo's twice as it's on the way to our son's...lucky MrOk and my check book as it was closed both times we went through!
    Unfortunately, Mary Jo's is not as much a temptation as in the past. She passed away this past year, and her son has been running the company for the past several years. Both the fabric quality and quantity is sadly lacking, compared to how it used to be when Mary Jo ran the business. The hours are reduced, the staff is surly, and the entire personality of the store has changed. It's really sad.

On an entirely different note, here are some pics of my "Jewels from Mt. Fuji" (my own adaptation of MSQC's "Majestic Mountains"). I'm trying to decide if I want to keep "same blocks together" or "mix & match". I'm hoping to do some "modern" quilting in the negative space.

Help me decide, please... "same together" or "mix & match"... and I have more blocks in the wings, waiting for me to finish piecing them.
    And of course, my photography skills are greatly lacking. The top one is more "matched", the bottom one is random.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Leta in Upstate SC

Quote Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
    OMG y'all. I just received my sale notice for Marshall Dry Goods. Mercy!
    Save me....

LOL
    Lol!!! I know the feeling... I've been getting these pesky emails from Everywhere! Connecting Thread catalog came today and, though, I'm not a huge fan of their fabric, I do like some of their kits. But not this year!!!! Be strong...I got your back

Leta....both tops are gorgeous...I favor the 2nd one. I like the randomness of these really rich colors. My vote: Mix & Match...
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-15-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    Stay Strong Redstilettos! and pm me the info on the sale

Rob
    lol!!! For shame!!!
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    Mix them, Leta...the top photo looks blocky.
    Too bad about change of management at MJ's...all business do run their course.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I like the random as well Leta.
    Thanks for the chuckle Rob. I know the feeling!! Still looking for backing and can't find what I want but others are tempting me. We'll see if I stay strong.
    Erin

I vote for the mixing, too, Leta. Let us see when you are done

I did NOT buy anything from MDG....I swear buying fabric is a hobby all by itself!

Blog Entries
    The mixed version is my favorite too.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Mix & match it shall be then!! I will post more (hopefully BETTER) pics when I finish.

My willpower will be sorely tested in a couple of weeks. Foust Textiles is doing their "winter sale", where they are doing their "open to the public" sale on Friday and Saturday, Feb 4 & 5. They are usually a wholesale company, and you usually have to have a business license to purchase from them, but twice a year, they do this.
    I feel certain I will be "falling off the wagon" at that time. If any of you want the "warehouse sale" experience, and live in a reasonable distance of Kings Mountain, NC, I HIGHLY recommend that you come to this sale.

Just an example... extra wide backing fabric (108" or more) usually runs us about $15-$18/yard, right? The bolt (15 yds) that I bought last summer was only (gasp!!) $5/yd. I can get 4-5 quilts from a bolt. Most of their stuff, you do have to buy the whole bolt... but they have a limited amount of precuts, and they also have "bundles", which is a multi-fabric pack where each fabric is 1-2 yds. Kind of like a FQ bundle on steroids, LOL!!
    Leta in Upstate SC

Blog Entries
    Leta, I really like the random version!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Leta....deals this good are justified in my mind. You cannot pass up some deals. Ask my DH. I have more cans of soup than we need cuz "these were really cheap"...but we'll eat them eventually. I venture to Road to Calif next week so it will be tough for me too!

I pulled my fabric for my next quilt and I have everything in my stash that is needed!!! Even backing!!!

My SIL gave me The Big Book of Nickel Quilts for Christmas, so instead of buying fabric, I have been busy cutting my stash of fabrics down. Knowing I'll have the pieces cut to make at least 3 quilts from my new book has done wonders for my willpower.

I even went to Hobby Lobby today (to return yarn leftover from several projects rather than let those sit in my other stash ). I managed to resist the twinge of temptation, and, happily, not a single FQ followed me home!

good job JJBlaine! You were in the belly of the beast (Hobby Lobby) and you resisted! Willpower!

Blog Entries
    Leta, it's for Backings and that's allowed. So go forth and splurge without any sense of guilt, and should something else happen to jump into your cart - just giggle and move on.

What a nice and effective diversion, JJBlaine.

I am going to spend some time in my room today. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I might just sit and stare at the mess. lol
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-15-2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    I have sewn 140 HST blue and white together...this will make a 40 x 56 top...found a light blue small print to use as a backing when I get done...will donate to the local Binky Patrol coordinator. Won't be quilted until later this summer though.

GKids have a fundraiser later this month and I usually make 3 items for it. Going through some valentine and Easter stash to make a wall hanging, a mini quilt and maybe a table runner. 10 days to get them done, plus work, plus eoy farm books...yikes, what I get myself into!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Ok, I'm ready to join in. So far, no purchases. But then, it's only half way through January. LOL

I bought very little last year, only colors needed for the 2017 BH mystery. Honest. I save Everything and only neded some of the lavender fabric.

I have lots of small pieces of stuff, and I mostly sew for charity, so feel a little less stress, because I do mostly scrappy quilts for the charity I sew for. Hopefully I will stay out of the fabric store this year! Wish me luck!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-15-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    When life gives you scraps, make a colorful happy quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlaine View Post
    My SIL gave me The Big Book of Nickel Quilts for Christmas, so instead of buying fabric, I have been busy cutting my stash of fabrics down. Knowing I'll have the pieces cut to make at least 3 quilts from my new book has done wonders for my willpower.

I even went to Hobby Lobby today (to return yarn leftover from several projects rather than let those sit in my other stash ). I managed to resist the twinge of temptation, and, happily, not a single FQ followed me home!
    Oh now, you have whetted my interest... I may have to look into that book as well (knowing that I have Plenty of books/patterns already!!) And kudos to you for braving the hostile environment of Hobby Lobby. I know those FQ's were begging you to take them home!! Great job!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    Leta, it's for Backings and that's allowed. So go forth and splurge without any sense of guilt, and should something else happen to jump into your cart - just giggle and move on. lol
    Well, that would certainly be exempt, except... I have THREE bolts (only partially consumed!) of backing from the last time I went... but... they are white or cream tone-on-tone, so maybe I Do need some dark or red or black or... whatever backing.
    Yeah, that works!!

OK, so the top for "Jewels from Mt. Fuji" is mostly finished. I want to add a couple of borders - including finishing the outer "jewels" like Jenny Doan does in her tutorial. As you can see from the pic, I did the "mixed"... but it was still "organized". Evidently, my brain just does not do "uncontrolled scrappy".
    I used a total of 12 yards (give or take) of stash, most of it those Asian prints that were "too pretty to cut". Well, this design still retains the rich, jewel tones of the fabrics, and I'm really loving this. I foresee quite a few of the "Majestic Mountains" variations in my future. The finished size of this (once I add those borders) will be 88 x 108.

I have a feeling that those "what was I Thinking?!?!?" fabrics and those "gifted to me by well-meaning non-sewers fabrics" will also work well in this. Easy, fast, and mostly a no-brainer. I can see trimming the HST to 9", dividing by three (instead of four), turn it on it's side, and you have (ta-da!) Japanese lanterns (as the light bulb goes off on what to do with the last 4 yards of Asian fabrics). I will be using some of my wide backing on this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-15-2018 at 04:39 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Leta in Upstate SC

Welcome paintmeJudy. We have fun on this site watching others buy fabric and post pics.

Leta, I like your choice in completing your top. Very pretty.

Congrates to all all who have stuck to not buying anything yet. Yea!!!!

Earlier this week my 2nd package from mo star quilt company came. I have to double check my order, 2 items don’t look right. I’ll check later tonight. But the other items were correct. Now to wash the fabric and start my 365 challenge. I printed all of the blocks last year and this year i’m Getting them put into 2 booklets. I’m excited about starting the project. I guess this doesn’t count as shopping my stash? I did buy the fabric for a project (for myself).

Blog Entries
    happylab good luck on the 365 day project. I think I have all the days downloaded now...started it in 2016, then got sidetracked...I've picked fabrics from my stash for it and until I get it done those fabrics are in limbo waiting to be used up.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Welcome, Paintmelady!! wishing you much good luck..

Leta.....stunning quilt top!! I really love the fabric you chose for this pattern. Great job..

happylab.....365 day project deserves fresh new fabric. Enjoy the journey of this project...

I'm quilting tomorrow on the biggest quilt I've attempted FMQ on my domestic. A bit nervous but quilt is for me so, if I don't try, I can't practice, right? Doing mostly straight line w/walking foot but there are some appliqués to navigate. All fabric on this quilt from my stash...yea for me!

Cover me....I'm going in....lol!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    good job JJBlaine! You were in the belly of the beast (Hobby Lobby) and you resisted! Willpower!
    Thank you. No one was more surprised than me when I walked out with exactly the same amount of yarn I walked in with, only in a different color.

Quote Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
    Oh now, you have whetted my interest... I may have to look into that book as well (knowing that I have Plenty of books/patterns already!!)
    I highly recommend it...It has some beautiful options for using up those 5" squares! FYI, The Big book of Nickel Quilts is Pat Speth's first two Nickel Quilt books combined into one.

happylab, oksewglad: I just started doing the 365 challenge myself! I'm doing it completely scrappy in keeping with this thread and my self-imposed challenge to get all my scraps under control. Those tiny little 3" blocks so far are just adorable!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-15-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    JJ: I have Pat Speth's individual books, and love them. I've made several and they all came out well. I'm lucky to have a die cut machine with a 5" die so the initial prep is pretty quick.
    Sounds like everyone is holding strong. I'll be sorely tested tomorrow. My once-a-month quilting buddy is coming over. She wants to go on-line shopping at Connecting Threads and hinted that my Christmas Gift will be involved. I'll let you know how it goes!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I have two of Pat Speth's books, I think these are the first two published.
    My sewing room is finally finished and is ready to be messed up again. I started sewing again after thoroughly cleaning my machine. I am working on a 1/2 square triangle table runner. I have just too many 5" squares, packaged and lots more from swaps.
    I am still finding ufo's. I have stopped counting, there is everything from pot holders to full size quilts.
    I have a question. How often do you oil your sewing machine?
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

Blog Entries
    JJ, I've seen some really nice scrappy quilts with the 365. I'm using blues, tans and creams like the original but adding a bit of bubblegum pinks to add some brightness. Here's a couple of pictures, all 3" blocks.Name:  Jan 9 throu 21.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  188.5 KBName:  blocks.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  328.7 KB
    sunrise, I oil my machine when it starts running a little noisier than I think it should and then I liberally oil everything in the bobbin area. I do sew on a mini quilt sandwich to help get rid of any excess oil before I start sewing on a project. In reality I should oil it just before it starts growling at me.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

So far so good no fabric! I will need to buy batting and backing this month hopefully as I as counting down on three UFO's! But all these sales and its my birthday this month. Hoping to be good my budget really needs me to be good lol!

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast