2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-03-2018, 06:30 AM

A few more hours before the next clue comes out for next clue. Sounds like the cutting and sewing begins. Yea. I can use up more scraps. Now to spend the next few hours sorting out fabric scraps. I’ll spend 1/2 day on this project, then back to BHMQ. I did finish Twilling a small heart for a scrappy very small w/h for Valentine’s Day. I’ll post pic when done.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:59 PM

I'm so happy to be doing the mystery scrappy....feels good to cut into some of those bags of scraps. I have a lot of fabric on the bolt to go with a scrappy so a I should be good for backing, too.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:18 PM

I’m happy because yesterday I dropped off almost 9 yards of fabric to my church quilting group and about 5 yards to Salvation Army. I also used 3.4 yards in a quilt. Wahoo!

I did get a lot of fabric from a donation to my church group but I am the go between person to deliver it to a baby charity. It can sit in my car or garage until I can get it delivered. Lol!

The center of this quilt is my 1/3 version of the latest Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt.

Connie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588412[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails e94099f2-605f-4cbf-86dc-0563bf368fb9.jpeg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 02-03-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:01 PM
Power Poster

You are all doing great. I think prewound bobbins are worth the money. They are filled tighter than bobbins we wind ourselves, which makes them time savers.

Teen, you'd be surprised that fabric (colors and styles) come around again if you just wait long enough. lol

I helped my BFF getting her quilt sandwiched today. She has never FMQ'd so she decided that I need to quilt it. I supposed that what friends are for.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

I had a niece come up for a sewing lesson yesterday- she had fun, did great and used up 2 1/2 more yards of my stash for me.
she made a 16” pillow and a 20- minute pillow case after spending some time practicing/ getting comfortable with using a sewing machine. She started on my Viking- but it decided it truly needs a hospital visit ( I’ve used it so much and neglected it ) so I had to get out my little 1956 Singer for her. She still did great — learned the basics on a very basic machine.
Now she wants to make a quilt. YEA!
Since my machine will be going into the shop Monday & will be gone at least 2 weeks ( they are backlogged) I decided I really need to start working on a mess I’ve had for way too long....
my closest aunt passed away over a year ago,I wound up with garbage bags of clothes I’m supposed to make quilts out of- I hadn’t dealt with any of the clothes, then lost my mom this past Christmas, so more bags added to the pile.
I decided last night it is time to start deconstruction and organizing- I can’t take the mountain of stuff that buried the whole end of my room anymore. I got through one whole bag plus an arm load last night. Of course this is going to ( replenish) my stash again....it’s never ending. But, I feel as if I’m ( finally) moving forward again.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Oh ckcowl, I think you are training the person to take over your stash when you are gone! No worries then about how much fabric you leave behind. That's my story when I teach my Grands! And you are being proactive while the machine is on bed rest. What a lovely way to remember 2 important women in your life.

Just saw this episode of NZ's. A wonderful personal story of quiltmaking.

https://wpt.org/SewingWithNancy/Vide...on-quilt-souls
Old 02-04-2018, 12:06 PM

ckcowl....so sorry to hear of the loss of your mom & aunt. Were they siblings? And, mom was so recent. Keep yourself busy. We all heal in our time so I'm glad you are finding things that help with this for you. The quilts for your family will be awesome....and love that you are sharing this wonderful hobbie with your niece. She'll have awesome memories as you do with your aunt. Love it!
Old 02-04-2018, 12:37 PM

I’m getting on board the Fabric Moratorium train. I’ve finished 2 quilts in January, using only stash fabric.
Currently working on a scrap quilt to try to tame the small scraps, each bar is 1.5 by 4.5 inches, 944 bars.
Sewing the blocks into rows now, so piecing will be done this month. Will do a scrappy back if necessary.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]588443[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails b4503cd3-6f0f-40de-95f0-53263e78af83.jpeg  
Old 02-04-2018, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

I like this OhC The diagonal setting is really nice.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:15 PM

The guild just finished their show, with vendors. I bought 2 pairs of bamboo socks.

Then I went by the Bernina dealer who has fabric. I've been making quilts from panels and offered to make a demo for them. SO.... got fabric, for free. The panel is peacocks and a bird. Found some of my stash to go with it. But....what was I thinking! Offering quilting time. I've got plenty to work on. Must be a brain fart!!!!.