Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries
    I used 8 yards of ( stash) fabrics for the background squares of a hockey quilt actually a little more than that. I had 5 yards of black, have about 16” left full width and a few smaller strips. Then I used the same amount of a burgundy which was a wide fabric I had 3 separate pieces of (68” x 96”- 84” x 96”, ) I used up both of those and a (2) 24” x 27” pieces of the third.
    Pits great that my fabric actually fits on my shelves now! I still have an abundance of small pieces/ strings, scraps but I’m working on string blocks and using those up too.
    I have a commission quilt order I’m going to have to shop for. We are leaving on vacation the end of next week and I’m going to shop for that quilt on vacation. I figure that it’s better to have a focus- goal, that way I will be less tempted than if I am just wanting to buy ( something) from each shop I visit.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Good going everyone! Yesterday Was the first day since my eye surgery that I was able to do anything in the studio. I pulled out a UFO and some of my stash of homespaun yarn and played with the couching foot on my sweet sixteen. Things are still pretty blurry, so not aure I’m going to like it when the viion clears, but I had a lot of fun And used up every bit of that homespun!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Rob- hoping for a speedy recovery for you. Off to a good start I think if you're back in your studio and using stash.
    Conchalea so sorry about your daughter. Sending prayers to you all.
    I have been busy working on UFOs and DWR. Went through stash and found binding and backing for the bargello UFO from stash. Hopefully the four yards will be enough but if not, I'll use the leftover strips.
    Good job ckcowl that's a lot of stash fabric used.
    Erin

Blog Entries
    Rob.. get well soon.

Name:  20180410_161758_resized.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  359.3 KBIt's not quite done. I need two more borders, but it's this far. It's Jenny Doan's card trick using a jelly roll. Please be warned that it takes the entire roll. I even had some piecing done on the scraps. At least there is nothing left.

Batlle Axe your card trick top is wonderful. I have that tutorial and pattern on my list. Hopefully it turns out as nice as yours.
    Erin

Love it, Battle Axe! The bright colors w/white background looks awesome. My kind of quilt, man! The card trick is a block I picked out of the 140 blocks I did to do a whole quilt. I like your pattern!
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Beautiful, Battle Axe. I love bright colors with white. Great job!

Bert nice card trick, Battleaxe! I just watched her video on how to do this block today. I did a pillow top a few years ago, but I’m sure I didn’t figure out the easy method.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I just used part of 2 jelly rolls cut into 2 1/2" squares and sewn in a dark/light 4-patch configuration. Scanned my backing stash last night and plan to use the remainder of the jelly strips for binding. I LOVE using up stash ----not that it even made a dent, but it did clear some space on my table. I've been a good girl!

Rob: hope the recovery is going well!

Battle: your quilt is lovely! I can't wait to see it with the borders on it.

I am not on a full moratorium, but I am on a 'use more than you buy' year. Every month the quilt guild I belong to has a block challenge. You get a pattern, and sometimes they call for specific colors, and sometimes not. Everyone can make as many blocks as they wish. Each block you finish gives you one entry to win all the blocks made that month.

I have participated every month, and have not purchased any fabrics for their color requirements. So for me....that's a win! If nothing else, it forces me to use some fabrics I would have normally not ever contemplated using again (just because I'm sick of them, or moved on in fabric tastes). It's been fun!

I've been holding myself back because I want to go to Nancy's Notions in Beaver Dam, WI for her annual Sewing Weekend Sale, which happens every May. This will be the first year since she passed But! I'm looking forward to continuing the spending tradition there

Red...I am of like philosophy in terms of fabric purchases. I joined this challenge to help me keep it in the forefront of my mind when I'm planning projects. I have used so much yardage on my bolts so far. The hard part for me is passing up the FQ's. I'm a FQ hoarder. Lol!

Your guild challenge sounds fun.
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

On Friday went to a quilt shop, found pretty blue fabric at $6/yard, so I bought 10 yards. It only cost $62.00 total. I bought all that was on the bolt. I will use the fabric for background projects and borders. I may use it for my 365 day challenge. Afterwards we went to a quilt show and I bought a bag full of scraps for $2.50. Several f-8s and large pieces. So that was a really good deal. Also saw some nice quilts. Nice relaxing day.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I bought 2.5 yards of black solid. How could there be no black solid in the stash? And some white solid...ditto! And 3/4 yard of tossed sailboats for backing on SIL and her DHs quilt for their new sailboat. The black solid is for boxes of strings.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    Sounds like purchases are used to finish projects...good job folks!

I bought wide backing to finish the BH I pulled off the LA this week. I figured this was about 7 yards of standard fabric, so with this latest finish I am now at a -43 1/2 yards of fabric...feels so good!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Blog Entries
    Well I'm off to my quilting retreat on Thursday. I'm pretty excited. Spent a day cutting my projects from scraps and stash. One is for a large throw and I cut over 6 yards. The friend I'm meeting participates in several charity quilting groups & I'm bringing about 30 yards of stash to donate. Didn't even make a dent!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

On Friday a quilting friend came by and we played all day. I got most of the small pieces quilted for a collaborative fabric piece. Yesterday I finished the last of the small pieces and pinned them onto the main fabric. This piece has so far used a 3’x 5’ black slinky fabric from stash (for the top) and a 3.5’ x 5.5’ piece of muslin (for the backing) also from stash. Had to spray baste and safety pin baste the quilt sandwich due to the slinky nature of the black fabric but I think it will work jusr fine. Now I need to figure out how I want to arrange the smaller pieces on the front and applique them down. The fun will come once all that’s done and I can quilt the beast. Who knew that playing in stash could be so much fun LOL!

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you are ready to go after your eye surgery, Rob...good deal!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Have fun, Paperprincess!! Very generous donation....cracks me up that it wasn't even a dent.lol...

Rob....anxious to see your art work. Always amazing...

I'm off to Idaho for a month on Wednesday. LQS's are on high alert! Lol! No promises on restraint and, please, pray that they will have the fabric for my Baltimore Album quilt project. I've listed the candidates from each store website so fingers crossed.

Was looking through my pattern drawer and found one I thought would be simple and wanted to make. Took that project to a "group sew" day. After reworking it to make the center square 5", it was great for novelty print fabric. Only have blocks made. Will show pick later. All fabric from stash, ~4.5 yds.

Blog Entries
    Have a good trip, Teen! Hope you find the fabric you need.

WTG Petthefabric! Waiting to see how your stash buster looks...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

Love that quilt Battleaxe, now that I can finally see it!

worked on using up tiny scraps and skinny strings to make scarve to sell at earth day. Got 5 done this past weekend. All from stash and will also count as UFOs since I bought the stabilzer 2 years ago. Wil post pics in the ufo thread later today.

WOW! So many people did so much using just stash fabric! Great going!! I joined the "no new fabric" in late Feb. and now half way thru April, I bought only the one sheet I confessed to last month... It was an accident. I was shopping for a sheet for my bed at the Local Thrift Shop, and a volunteer mislabeled it. I was looking for a full sheet and this one was labeled full but was a queen size. I sincerely asked for y'alls forgiveness at the time and promised I would be extra careful in the future. That sheet is still in my stash. Since then, I made 6 baby quilts and finished 4 UFO's all out of my stash! It didn't make a dent in it. Alas... woe is me!

Blog Entries
    All's forgiven, SSusan! Honest mistake and a Qsize sheet will make good backings on several baby quilts!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I finally met up with our church quilting leader and was given a bunch of scraps and some yardage. Fortunately, some of it will go to a charity for diaper bags so it won't hang around my house for long.

I glanced through the fabric quickly but there are some wonderful pieced blocks sewn in a couple of strips with extra fabric to match the blocks and a lovely set of coordinating fabrics with a wreath wallhanging pattern tucked in with them. There's also a bag of lace which will probably go to the baby charity to be used in fundraiser projects.

None of it will go to my sewing room until it is sorted first in my office area.
    Connie

Have fun Connie.
    Love your scarf Rob!
    Congrats on all the using of stash. I haven't used much but I haven't added any either (well lately).
    It sounds like lots of people are busy playing with fabric. Teen and PaperPrincess have fun. Wish I was there with you
    Erin

Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast