Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries
    Sounds like everyone is doing well. Got an email, my favorite, closest LQS is having a 3 day 50% off sale. I deleted it immediately, but can't un-read it! I will stay strong.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    We took my MIL over to see some relatives yesterday and stopped for breakfast close to a quilt store. I didn't even blink an eye when we drove by. Did not have the urge to go in and blow my resolve!

On the upside, I managed to sew down the binding on the voluntold quilt (yes, I got tagged for binding too). All but 20" are attached on a 81" square quilt In One Day. Uffda! I feel rather accomplished. Tonight I will finish the binding and quilt a few more feathers to finish it up. Tomorrow it will go back to my friend so she can wash it and trim any errand strings. Saturday we are flying to Washington where it will go to its owner.

Then I can finally get back to my UFOs and current projects.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-15-2018 at 02:10 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Sounds like everyone is doing well. Got an email, my favorite, closest LQS is having a 3 day 50% off sale. I deleted it immediately, but can't un-read it! I will stay strong.
    Good for you!! I am sure you can stay strong and overcome the temptation!!

It is a lovely quilt. Someone will be very happy to have it. Finished is good and if setting those triangles was getting in your way it shows resolve to change it up and finish.

Quote Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
    I finished a quilt top and will donate it next week. I altered the pattern some because 2 sides of setting triangles pushed my patience!

It is 68" by 81".

All from my stash.

Attachment 597219

Thank you for the compliments. It was a BOW last year by Maggie ? and it is called Rest and Refreshing. There is a thread for this BOW with other completions on this board.

Happylab: Enjoy that new machine.
    Connie

I did go to to LQS yesterday but bought only for said purpose and spent less than $6. I enjoyed looking and felt smug that I didn't buy fabric because I liked it.

My quilt shop gal texted me that they have new fabric line of reproduction as well as brand new WOW....geesh...she knows me so well. Just keep sewing, Teen...stay focused!
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Getting ready to cut a quilt for me - I don't have one. I had a thought that a pink dotted fabric would be better for the 'solid'. Nope!!! I will use the white on white that I have. I'm bored with the QSTs for the border of the queen size quilt. I need a distraction on another machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcyshannon View Post
    I did go to to LQS yesterday but bought only for said purpose and spent less than $6. I enjoyed looking and felt smug that I didn't buy fabric because I liked it.
    Good for you! I went to the LQS and wondered what fabrics I could bring home when I go back tomorrow!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Well, I heard about the birthday exception and I have taken advantage. Getting fabric for my strawberry quilt that I will work on at a quilt retreat with my friends. However, I will not shop for fabric after this July session until next year and only for finishing projects after shopping my stash.

I am quite excited to get some new fabric.

Blog Entries
    Tonight finished the binding on a 40 x 60 HST quilt. Various blues and one constant white on white using a 4" finished HST. Most of the fabric gifted. The backing and binding was from stash. Not sure if I should call in a UFO or a WIP as I started it in January and UFO's have a longer timeline for me!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Darcyshannon-Enjoy your Birthday exemption fabric!

Oksewglad- Congrats on finishing your WIP/UFO! I think if it feels like a UFO to You then it’s a UFO. For me if I’m making slow but steady progress on something- Say taking it out and working on it every month or two I think of those as a WIP. It becomes a UFO when it’s either actually packed away in the UFO storage box, or is so covered by current projects on my design wall that it can’t be seen. In either case, not only is no progress being made on it, but I’m not even trying to solve whatever design/construction issue caused my to stop working on it in the first place. Most of my UFOs have gone for at least One year without any progress, but I’ve got two pieces that at 7 months with no progress I’m beginning to think of as UFOs.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    The voluntold quilt is Done and delivered. Joyce Loved it and put it on her bed immediately. Later on she kept taking her friends in the house to show it off. That is the nicest compliment a quilter can get. It makes me happy. Now on to the next project. Time to pull out a UFO but I can't decide which one.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-15-2018 at 02:13 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Rob...I like your definition of WIP/UFO. I'm going to adopt it.

congrats, Madquilter....that is indeed why we do what we do...to get responses like that. So sweet..

I went to LQS to replenish my WOW stash. I'm going to need it for next project. I, also, picked up her Row by Row pattern and glue stick refills... She had a new, huge bundle of polka dots that I really considered....but, I turned away. It was painful.
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Yes, I have the same issue at times. So many ufo’s, undecided on which to do next, so many calling my name. I just need to decide which one is screaming the loudest. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    Now on to the next project. Time to pull out a UFO but I can't decide which one.

So far this month no buying of fabric.

Over the last 2 weeks I received 2 bags of what I call scraps and stash fabrics. I ended up with a untouched layer cake of Halloween fabrics. Skelton’s, spiders etc in orange and black. I’m suppose to make a w/h with cats and hats, but i’m Thinking of making a Halloween throw instead for my niece. She is into those critters. I need a semi-simple project that does not take a lot of time. Also received 10 blocks in pinks to make my sister a throw. I need to find more batiks to closely match the pink in the blocks. Next month or so down the road.

I have been offered the fabric of my SIL who passed two years ago because my brother has sold the house. I waffled back and forth and finally said yes. Our prayer quilt closet is a little picked over at church, so I have an outlet for any I don't want. I'm thinking there may be some of that a she was more into calicos and such than I am. We'll see. He thinks she died with the most fabric. Ha! 2 totes, five boxes and a few bags is a drop in the bucket, but I'll take it. May have him send a picture beofre I go down. My little Buick has a limit!

Blog Entries
    I did avoid the 50% off sale. Feeling pretty smug. Been pretty busy with summer stuff and at the cottage, so no time for shopping. Unfortunately, not much time for sewing either.
    Sounds like everyone else is doing well. I commend those who take the time for charity quilting. It's something I aspire to, but fall short.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Into the LQS I go today. I want to see what they have in quilting rulers. No fabric needed, though I'd have a hard time walking past the Dream Big panel if my FMQ were better.

Quote Originally Posted by Teen View Post
    Rob...I like your definition of WIP/UFO. I'm going to adopt it.

congrats, Madquilter....that is indeed why we do what we do...to get responses like that. So sweet..

I went to LQS to replenish my WOW stash. I'm going to need it for next project. I, also, picked up her Row by Row pattern and glue stick refills... She had a new, huge bundle of polka dots that I really considered....but, I turned away. It was painful.

Teen, I feel your pain....good on you for staying strong.

For my birthday my LQS sent me a coupon to get $10 off any purchase during the month of July. It's burning a hole in my pocket, but I'm waiting until I get time to figure out what I really need. Probably will end up hitting the remnants bin to replenish neutrals and lights-- they go fast. I may decide to splurge on a wide backing fabric if I get the quilt the I pulled for my second July UFO finish done in time-- I'd rather not do a pieced back for it since it's got lots of thick seams.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    Rob, I know all about that burning wallet!
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I think I have the backing for the quilt top that is almost done. It's a goofy Daisy pattern that will look perfect so, hopefully, I've got enough to piece something together. If not, plan B....something on my bolts should do it. Need to check before I put on borders.... Received a free FQ when I bought their Row by Row but whacked into it immediately since I could use it in this polka dot quilt. So, I'm good so far in July...

Went to the LSQ. No quilting rulers, no cream dots I've run out of half way through my own quilt, no fish fabric for a baby so I didn't get anything.

Went to two quilt shops in Richmond on Wednesday to look for borders as there was nothing to in the stash to finish a quilt that I took in a 2017 class. The first shop had just the right fabric for the borders but nothing else was bought there. The second shop had a sale corner packed with bolts organized by color. I had stopped to pick up neutral whites/creams (2.5 yards) and almost got away when an orange "rest of the bolt", only a 2/3 yd piece called my name. Other than that I got away with just a slight scrape.

Wish me strength - I'm off to a quilt show today ...

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 LastLast