2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-15-2018, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

OK: Love, love, love your quilt! I have a similar one in my photos of quilts i'd like to make. Thanks for the instructions. Now I don't have to figure it out myself.
Been trying to talk myself out of a purchase. On my TO DO list is a feathered star. I love star quilts and stumbled across Eleanore Burns' "All Star Quilts" videos. It's a series for a feathered star medallion quilt surrounded by... stars! Bought the book.
I was trying to pull fabrics from my stash, but I need 2-3 yards of some of the colors. My stash is varied, but most are smaller lengths (see I knew I should have bought more!).
I keep drooling over CT's Heirloom Bouquet line
https://www.connectingthreads.com/fa...-bouquet/c/397
It's the exact color way I was trying to gather. I keep putting the yardage in my shopping basket, then taking it out. I've done this twice. Although it would be purchased for a specific project, with the stuff I have going I wouldn't be able to start until after the holidays and I'm afraid that something else will grab my attention then and it will just be added to my stash. Really on the fence with this one. My anniversary is fast approaching. Isn't the gift for 47 years fabric?
Old 08-15-2018, 06:53 AM

Wonderful quilt oksewglad. Definitely one to put on bucket list. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Thanks folks...this quilt measures about 49 x 72. If one would use 2 1/2 yards of white (or any other fabric) and make the strips from wider fabrics-say 3 1/2" cuts-your quilt would then measure about 65 x 90...a good size for a college dorm room. More of this type is in the future here for me.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:40 PM

OK?..that is an awesome quilt. Thank you for the instructions. I just love that. I have bunch of strips of misc sizes of white that I could so use in this pattern..

looks like everyone is ne is making good use of their travel exemptions. Way to go.. I have not bought any fabric in 2 months, I think. I finished the Green Tea quilt and used a bolt of fanric in stash for backing. Had plenty of striped fabric for binding. Now I'm working on QOV and I have everything in stash for that, including backing. I went to Joann's today and bought a new cutting mat and rotary cutter. I was way overdue for both and cutting QOV was a struggle so it was time. Did not look a thing single bolt of fabric..very proud of myself.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:47 PM

Oksewglad, your quilt is beautiful! I just may make a baby quilt from your great idea!

Princess, I think 47 years deserves at least 3 exemptions!!! Go for it!!

Last edited by SillySusan; 08-15-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:03 PM

Oksewglad: Thumbs up on another pretty quilt top!

I bought 1 1/2 yards of duck cloth last week to recover my wood board that I use for my ironing board. I also bought that amount of Insulbright to go under it.

The best part is I used a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby and I used my gift card which was a thank you for making the neighbor girl's wedding garter and moving the snaps and hook/eye on the back of her dress. Plus, I was invited to her super small wedding(around 40) because of my kindness. Feeling blessed!

I had not been to Hobby Lobby in a few years so I enjoyed browsing. I still have enough to browse and buy several more things.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:39 PM

OK, love the quilt. It is perfect for Summer.
Princess, I saw that fabric line and fell for it, too, but didn't purchase any. As long as you have a use, I say go for it.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:08 PM

As soon as I heard my first grandbaby was on the way, without even knowing the gender,I got to stitching (both sewing and crocheting).

The green and yellow flannels in the quilt are from my stash, and the embroidered blocks were done onto a flannel sheet I picked up at the thrift store for $3. I did buy the pooh fabric for the backing and the diaper bag (which is also quilted). The red trim and the belting on the diaper bag, as well as the lining are from stash.

Not quilting, but also from stash were several receiving blankets that I made either extra large, or double layered, 5 dozen re-usable baby wipes, 6 washcloths with flannel on one side and terrycloth on the other, and another 4 burp cloths. I either embroidered or crocheted the edging to everything except the wipes.

Not quilty, but seen in the photo are some of the baby booties and hats I crocheted in all the rainbow colors, about half of which were done with stash yarn leftover from other projects.

I think maybe I might be a little excited about the new addition, lol!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599659[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599660[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 556093743-resized.jpg   556093803-resized.jpg  
Old 08-17-2018, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

Gram's got it all ready for the new little one. Very nice! Congratulations..a lifetime of joy ahead of you.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:23 AM

Paperprincess- 47 years definitely merits a special fabric exemption... congratulations!

I love the stash quilt Oksewglad!

Congratulations on the new grandbaby Jjblaine! Looks like you’ll be all set when (s)he gets here

you know that 3year old UFO I had to buy backing fabric for? Well, it struck again. Massdrop is having a pretty good drop on a batting sampler with three different kinds of batting including two kinds that I’ve been wanting to try and another kind that I use a lot of so I bit the bullet and joined the drop! Yay, new batting to experiment with!!! It won’t be here til Mid Sept but that’s all right since I really need to get the #%/*,,!!!#$$ UFO finished..I’m going to do some fancy quilting on the UFO so need a double batting layer, cotton against the backing and wool over the cotton. I figured with spray basting I could get it sandwiched in the afternoon, and have an hour or so this evening to work on getting the hanging sleeve for my Virginia Beach quilt redone so I could package it up and ship it out tomorrow. The basting spray needs time to dry so this seemed like an optimal use of my time.

Got the cotton batting out and realized I was going to have to piece it since I didn’t have a large enough piece. So slight delay while getting it securely pieced (like an hour or so). Got it pieced and spray basted to the back. Then pulled out my wool batting- it was in three pieces... ok, no problem to piece wool batting...except not enough...the wool batting I like isn’t available in town, so another on-line batting purchase... it won’t be here til Saturday late...and the backing and first layer of batting for the #$**&#**$$###!!!!!##@@## UFO are taking up the only table that’s large enough for me to lay out the show quilt while changing out the hanging sleeve...

Fortunately I bought enough backing fabric to be able to use the leftover to bind this beast.... I just hope that The spray baste holds the cotton and backing secure since I have to fold it up to make room for the other quilt...sheesh

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 08-17-2018 at 05:27 AM.