2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-17-2018, 05:02 PM

JJBlaine those are adorable! I'm envious i so want a grandbaby! Just keep on sewing for that new little one. Rob sorry about your sewing day. Honestly I've had those days. You think the ufo is cursed?☺
Old 08-17-2018, 09:30 PM

Congratulations, JJBlaine. Your granny gifts are all so wonderful. Those booties are the cutest e-v-e-r.... Seriously some fun stuff for the new munchkin. So happy for you...

OMGosh, Rob... Hilarious!!! You've had quite the day....The baste will stick....I have to do that all the time and I have no problems.

I started cutting...all from my stash....a QOV and pulled the fabric panel out to get a gander at it....That panel is huge....way too huge for what I had planned so, plan B...I'm winging it on a pattern and I have just enough....It needs white so I was slinging bolts around and found a bolt of WOW stars. All the stars have aligned. I love it when that happens..

Last edited by Teen; 08-17-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:30 AM

LLB, you are so ready for that new grandbaby! A big congrats. to you and his or her mommy! Babies are true blessings! Your baby items are beautiful!
Old 08-18-2018, 05:33 AM

Rob, I feel your anguish! All those #%&@# words! But, you can do this. Take a deep breath and carry on!
Old 08-18-2018, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by elly66 View Post
Rob sorry about your sewing day. Honestly I've had those days. You think the ufo is cursed?☺
It's beginning to feel that way...This UFO was put together several years ago, taken apart because the proportions of the background filler strips just didn't look right, so I re-sized some of them to make better proportions and put it back together only to have some very long filler strips cause all kinds of waviness etc. because I somehow mis-measured, so I took it apart again and put it on the UFO pile where it sat for at least 3 years...When I took it back out I thought it would be a quick finish since all I had to do was re-size the offending filler strips and reassemble----little did I know... I swear I hear the music from "Psycho" every time I walk past it-- I'm sure that's just in my head....

Rob
Old 08-18-2018, 01:23 PM

I made a purposeful trip to JoAnn’s today to buy backing for my current quilt. I bought 1 entire bolt plus the yard on another. It looks like it will be a BIG quilt. I also found I’m running out of the sashing fabric so I bought more of that. Unfortunately they didn’t have the exact fabric I’ve been using so I bought some that is very similar. I think it’ll blend well. None of this should go into the stash & all other fabric for the top is from stash.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:02 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Rob, I had a UFO that was like that. I still call it the Quilt From Hell; nothing ever worked as planned. After a long break to get the new machine and tables and sell the china and sterling to partially pay for it (and make room),I am finally back working on the diamond log cabin.

Picture of new setup here:
My new baby is eeady to go!
Old 08-18-2018, 02:10 PM

Into the lion's den I went. I visited a quilt shop out in the country looking for fish fabric. They have Moda fabrics which the one downtown doesn't. Oh, my. Every one was prettier than the last. What did I purchase? 1/2 yard of fish fabric for a baby quilt - the parents and grandparents are all fishermen. I had planned a fish quilt, but there are Jacob's Ladder blocks in my deceased SIL's stash. I will sew those together for the front and use the fish print with some of my stash on the back. So a total of 18" of fabric bought for one quilt isn't too bad.

Conchalea, my Irish Chain on machine #2 has two separate off whites. I think it will be fine when it's quilted as will yours.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:26 PM

You guys are did great on your recent foray into fabricland.

Conchalea...one bolt for backing?...goodness, that is a big quilt.

Irishrose....I can't wait to see the fish baby quilt. Sounds like a fun theme to play with...

I think I'm going to get 2 QOV out of all the blocks I made (by accident..lol). My math was off so one top will be as planned and the other top a different layout. This makes me very happy since I had 2 veterans on my list to make. Still everything from my stash....very satisfying...
Old 08-18-2018, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
Rob, I had a UFO that was like that. I still call it the Quilt From Hell; nothing ever worked as planned. After a long break to get the new machine and tables and sell the china and sterling to partially pay for it (and make room),I am finally back working on the diamond log cabin.

Picture of new setup here:
My new baby is eeady to go!

Fantastic set up! Enjoy your new Sweet16!

Rob