2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-19-2018, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
You guys are did great on your recent foray into fabricland.

Conchalea...one bolt for backing?...goodness, that is a big quilt.

Irishrose....I can't wait to see the fish baby quilt. Sounds like a fun theme to play with...

I think I'm going to get 2 QOV out of all the blocks I made (by accident..lol). My math was off so one top will be as planned and the other top a different layout. This makes me very happy since I had 2 veterans on my list to make. Still everything from my stash....very satisfying...
Yep-this quilt has grown & grown... It's my version of the Hanging Garden. I used 2 FQs for a focus fabric & wanted to use all of both. I don’t have the actual pattern but I’ve figured it out. I kept on making blocks & ended up with 32 Final blocks. Now that I’m adding 4-Patch cornerstones with sashing, the blocks are VERY large! The bolt had 8 yards on it-is that the typical amount?
Old 08-19-2018, 10:11 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
Yep-this quilt has grown & grown... It's my version of the Hanging Garden. I used 2 FQs for a focus fabric & wanted to use all of both. I don’t have the actual pattern but I’ve figured it out. I kept on making blocks & ended up with 32 Final blocks. Now that I’m adding 4-Patch cornerstones with sashing, the blocks are VERY large! The bolt had 8 yards on it-is that the typical amount?
Usually, there are 15 yds on a bolt of quilting cotton at the retail level, but I have seen 6, 12,and 25.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
Usually, there are 15 yds on a bolt of quilting cotton at the retail level, but I have seen 6, 12,and 25.
Thanks for clarifying. There were 8 on the bolt I bought so that’s a small amount, apparently. I hope that plus the 1 yard on another bolt will be enough for this ever-expanding quilt. I didn’t set out to make one this large. Since it is so big, I may try QAYG for the individual blocks. I’ve been watching various YouTube videos with some different techniques. I’m eager to try out that process.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:08 AM

Does it count against you if you order some fabric on line that is grey/tan/neutrals???? I am usually hunting a better light neutral and Quilted Twins had a $20.00 plus $5.00 shipping deal I just could not pass up.

Marcia

I think I used my biopsy exemption. The dr. did not think it was cancer but rather non-cancerous polyps.

Last edited by Battle Axe; 08-22-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:32 PM

Hi y'all, I have a confession to make. Yesterday I went to my favorite little thrift shop and saw a king size flat sheet in an unusual shade of green, perfect for a few crib sheets and even a few baby quilt backings. I didn't get it and I was ok with passing it up. I remembered my pledge. But on the way out, the cashier told me about a wonderful one-day sale on for today! I went home and thought about it. I could get that sheet for 50 cents!! So early this morning I ran down there and ... someone bought before I got there. I guess it is for the best, because I didn't break my promise,....but I "sinned" in my heart. Woe is me!
Old 08-22-2018, 01:42 PM

SillySusan, Certainly there is some exemption out there that you can use to exponge this sin. I think anything that you intend to recycle, and the sheet would have qualified, is exempt.

Marcia
Old 08-22-2018, 01:50 PM

I'm working on a Jacob's Ladder quilt from my SIL's UFOs. I cab see why it was put aside. Sone of the four patches are more than 1/4" too small. Sone of the HSTs are too wide on one side. It might have been easier to donate it.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:56 PM

Not quilty, but used a couple of yards from my stash.

My SIL was talking about how quickly my niece is outgrowing her clothes. She'll be 3 in November and a size 5 is already snug on her. So I decided to whip up a couple of simple pillowcase dresses. Since the dresses tie at the shoulder, and I made them a little long, she should be able to wear them for a good while. I would have liked to add a few embellishments, but didn't want to spend that much time on them until I find out if my brother and SIL like the style.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599899[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20180822_143420-resized.jpg  
Old 08-22-2018, 02:20 PM

Lol @ Batleaxe comments...too funny.

Irishrose2..... I know that feeling well....I picked up a half-done quilt at an estate sale once and quickly realized why it was only half-done.....I finished it and donated it with all its imperfections. Her legacy goes on...

JJBlaine....goodness, girl...you are so busy and so talented. Those are adorable and so sweet of you... Never heard of a pillowcase dress. Cute cute..
Old 08-22-2018, 04:46 PM

Thanks, Battleaxe, for the suggestion. Next week I'll have a colonoscopy exemption I could use, but the truth in that is I'd rather have the "sin" than have the colonoscopy!!

JJB., those little dresses are really cute! She'll love them