2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-10-2018, 01:36 PM

Conchalea; sounds like mindfull shopping to me. I think that's what this thread is about.

I have a tiny peace left of a fabric I've loved using. It's probably still out there and keep thinking of getting more. The yes/no scale is tipping again.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:12 PM

Great purchase, Conchalea!!! You can really save with their coupons. They have inundated me with emails, flyers etc but a I have not been inside the store since around the first of the year. I'm going to need to purchase a new cutting mat soon. I've used the heck out it and I can tell it will not self-heal anymore in some areas. Plus, I want to buy a smaller cutting mat for traveling....

petthefabric.....if you want it...get it...and plan a project with it right away. See? Justified! If you stick it in your stash just because...well....drop and give me twenty... Lol!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:45 PM

No way am I able and it was going into stash, so I guess that's my answer. LOL
Old 03-10-2018, 06:44 PM

Two backings made today from stash fabric (and nothing bought recently). I'm on a roll.

But one backing is annoying me. The remnant I had said "38"x108" on the label. My quilt is 60x60, and I figured I could make it work if I pieced a 10" strip into the backing. So, I found my leftover fabric, cut it all up into strips and made a piano key insert for the backing. Then I opened the remnant - it's 48"x108". Yes, I know, don't complain about 10 free inches of fabric. But I didn't actually need to make the insert! All that work spent needlessly. Oh well, I'm using it anyway!

The other backing was much easier. Picked a fabric I liked, opened it up to discover it was a wide back, the perfect size for the second quilt. Done!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Rob, I have a Sweet 16 and finally got back to working with her. The only thing I don't like is that the machine sits lower than the table which makes ruler work bumpy. I actually bought the table overlay that they upsell. Don't know if HQ has fixed that with their line yet - they did with the Baby Lock Tiara. Just something to think about. I also bought the stitch regulator and would not spend that money now. The machine is so easy to use.
I loved my Sweet 16, but finally succumbed to the longarm call just over a year ago. However, on the height issue you mentioned MadQuilter, apparently HQ has leveling feet or something they came up with to adjust the height of the machine to fix that problem. Personally, before I knew about that, I just cut a piece of craft foam to go around the throat plate and shoved it under the overlay. Just around the gap not covered by the overlay, I added a piece of plastic, actually old X-ray film I had on hand and taped it over the exposed foam just so it would be slippery and not catch when using a ruler. I used a ruler a lot on my Sweet 16 without a problem with my little fix. As for the stitch regulator, I never had one and didn't like how they worked when I test drove them. I think I got pretty adept at obtaining consistency in stitch length with practise although i never aimed to be a show quilter .
Old 03-11-2018, 10:05 AM

I'm glad to re-read the guidelines, since it appears that buying sale fabric for charity quilt backings yesterday doesn't count! I found 8 yards of flannel at 75 cents per yard!
And yes, I AM using up some of my stash but there is so much of it that it doesn't show yet.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

A friend of mine just got the dreaded breast cancer diagnosis for the second time. This time it will end in a double mastectomy. She had mentioned a particular quilt that she really liked. I ordered the pattern and realized that I have NO fabric in my stash to sew this pattern in ANY color way. Drat!
Old 03-11-2018, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
A friend of mine just got the dreaded breast cancer diagnosis for the second time. This time it will end in a double mastectomy. She had mentioned a particular quilt that she really liked. I ordered the pattern and realized that I have NO fabric in my stash to sew this pattern in ANY color way. Drat!
Such a problem or is this an opportunity?
Old 03-12-2018, 06:10 AM

So Sorry to hear about your friend Martina. Nice of you to make her a quilt. I'm sure it will comfort her when needed.

I've been busy working on five quilts. Three UFOs that the fabric came from my stash. It is a nice variety of blocks however it means all of them are slow. Hoping to get one of the quilt tops done this week and then to find some backing for it from my stash.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:07 AM

Madquilter...how very scary about your friend and sweet of you to make her a quilt. You'll pick out something fresh and new and I'm sure will be beautiful. Lifted up a prayer for her and for you as you support her in the coming weeks.

quilting cat.....great bargain! Cannot beat that except when free. You done good!