Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 UFO Challenge of the Month

I've started working on my many UFOs. Almost all of them are tops awaiting quilting. I got one table runner completed yesterday (counting it for this year though). Just have the back side of the binding to finish on the one I've worked on today. Would have finished it but had to get well imbedded lint out of bobbin case. You can see the story of that on the main page.

Blog Entries
    I made a list of my UFO's last year and committed to finish them one by one....then I started Bonnie's Mystery quilt because it would use up a lot of my scraps, but Ive lost a whole month and nee another month to finish it before I can get back to my ufo's. So guess what, now I have another UFO for 2018, grrrr. Please stop me if you see me joining another BOW or BOM or Mystery on this board.....I need help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
    I made a list of my UFO's last year and committed to finish them one by one....then I started Bonnie's Mystery quilt because it would use up a lot of my scraps, but Ive lost a whole month and nee another month to finish it before I can get back to my ufo's. So guess what, now I have another UFO for 2018, grrrr. Please stop me if you see me joining another BOW or BOM or Mystery on this board.....I need help.
    p.s. (swaps don't count, LoL)

Thanks for taking over, happylab! I haven't taken a complete inventory, but I'm sure I have enough UFO's to keep me busy awhile, and I'm glad to have this forum for some much-needed inspiration. First will be a disappearing 4-patch I assembled almost 6 years ago. I didn't like the corners and didn't know what I wanted to do differently, and pulling stitches is always pushed down the list if there's something I'd rather do. But now it's going to get done, by golly! I even bought the backing and batting and have already pulled off one of the corners. But first the Christmas tree has to come down and the Christmas village has to go back into its bookcase. 8-yr-old grandson will help with that. Then Thursday it's back to school for him and back to the sewing room for me.
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you don’t need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

Thank you Happylab for being the conductor.

Looking through the studio, I found UFO's I want finished. I decided to finish a UFO before starting someting new. RRyder, I understand getting to a point and saying what do I do next? One quilt took 5 years waiting for fabrics and skills. It did finally get finished.

The "in progress" boxes became UFO boxes and now there's no space for 'in progress". So that's where I'll start. The LA is loaded but need the panto pattern. Soon....Soon. Pulled out the BOM from last year. Made a final square and the center is together. Now borders. It should be finished this week. Then I'll see what's next.

Blog Entries
    Yes, thank you Happylab! We are happy you stepped up to the task of the UFO thread.

I have not participated in the UFO challenge in the past as I don’t typically have too many UFO but this year I have come to grips that I have one UFO that is at least 3 years in the making so I thought participating in this thread might just be the thing I need to get it done and move on. It is my Gypsy Wife in various stages...it’s about 75% pieced.
    I look forward to supporting and encouraging others along the way...
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I'm jumping on board the train. Thank you, happylab, for taking the lead!
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by givio View Post
    Why is the thread named a challenge of the month, if the challenge is a goal for the whole year?
    I think it's because we don't want to buckle under the weight of an entire year's goal. Many people set a goal of 1 (or some number) UFO per month. We track finishes each month, and celebrate every one of them. But there are no rules. Set a goal if you want, or just wing it. Or just drop in any time you like and tell us about any finishes you have so far this year.

I think I'm in trouble. I put up a list of 12 UFOs for a blog challenge (patchworktimes.com). She draws a number every month and that's the UFO that gets attention that month (doesn't necessarily get finished, but gets at least some love). This month's number is 10 - which is my biggest UFO. A king size labyrinth quilt that I designed and pieced in 2013. I really, really want to get it done. But the idea of quilting it is daunting. Someone give me a kick on Friday the 12th and make me load it on the longarm - before customers figure out I'm in a post-Christmas lull right now I need it for a show on the 11th, so I don't want to load it before then, 'cause it won't be done.

Here's a picture, before I put the borders on.
    Name:  PB240050.JPG
Views: 832
Size:  171.0 KB

I'm in, though I am only attempting to finish up two UFO's this year. With a graduation of one son and a wedding for my oldest, and friend is having her first baby, that is three "new" quilts I will be making. The baby may qualify for a UFO because I'm using leftover blocks from the wedding quilt I made (same couple). That is probably all I can handle for this year.

The good news for me is that one of the UFO's is already sandwiched and basted and waiting for me to quilt it. The other UFO is in the beginning stages of piecing together. I had cut out the fabric a few years back, (goodness, I think it was more like 5 now that I think of it!) and never got it put together. I went over the directions and poked through all my cut fabric, and am ready to start piecing. So, yay! I figure I have about a month before I have to start on my son's graduation quilt.

The wedding quilt is already partially constructed, so maybe this should count as a UFO too? I did sampler blocks, all of which are completed, but stored neatly until I get time to put the entire top together.

Happy sewing to all!
    “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” ~Scott Adams

Piecefully,
    Lisa

I am in this year. Still have plenty of UFO's to get finished. I just couldn't get in the swing of things last year, but with the new year it is time to focus of getting some of those UFO's completed.

Happylab, tank you for taking the torch this year and leading the group.

I hope to get two done here in January. They are simple and just needs binding. Figured that was a good goal for finishes. Also I have about three that are ready to be put on the long-arm so I also hope to get one of the them at least quilted so I can bind it and finish it in February.
    Hostess for the Ornament Swap. Watch for details coming later on this year. Come join in on all the fun

I'm jumping on board. I have enough ufo's to keep me busy for a while (but won't be counting them!) Hoping to get a couple to the "finished flimsy" stage. They can hang in the closet in the long arm room.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I'm in. I have a huge number of UFOS. I want to complete at least one per month.

Blog Entries
    Wow, that Labrinth is beautiful and yes, can be daunting. Which show going in? How much detail is really going to show? Since you longarm for business, it can seem overwhelming to do your own. Are you thinking of an edge to edge? There have been some completed before check out mqresource.com. There are some nicely finished ones there for fresh ideas.
    I did not get this posted in the 2017 total, even though I finished it Saturday. I have been trying to get this done for some time. Here is my little penguin for daughter. Yes, JC had to inspect it.Name:  penguin.JPG
Views: 833
Size:  54.7 KB
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-11-2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    I'm in for 2018. Thanks happylab for hosting!

Happy New Year to all! What an adorable penguin. I'm in awe of your skill!
    Last edited by sunrise450; 01-02-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

Blog Entries
    Wow, that Labyrinth is beautiful. What a great place to start!

I'm in for getting UFO done this year. I've got 2 that just need binding maybe I can get them done for this month.

Thank you happylab for hosting UFO this year.

I don't have any UFO's and my goal is to not have Any UFO's in 2018. I have 2 quilts that I need to make this year for special celebrations but, other than that, I will sew what I want and complete it before I start another one. One exception is a 2-year project BA but my goal is to do one block a month, if not more....I will cheer you all on, however!!! ChooChoo!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-11-2018 at 02:30 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I am jumping on board. I really want to finish quilting the piece I made from the 2017 Quilting Bee. It is partially done, I have SITD around the blocks and now I have to quilt each block and then bind it. I am also in the middle of the latest BH mystery but quilting might be taking the back seat for a bit because a number of my looms are singing a siren song to me:-) I will need an occasional kick to get back to sewing.
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k25 HC, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

I think Ill join to just keep me moving forward. I'm working on 5 quilts right now made out of my dads and moms shirts and dresses. One for me and the others for my daughters and son. Its good to see progress. This will have to be done before I can work on my UFOs. I did finish 3 last year.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

I'll join though last year I had six to eight and I still have all left with an extra tacked one (I'm going the wrong way!). Hopefully this year will be more productive.
    Erin

I'm going to join in also. I have about 12 to finish. I also have been working the current BHMQ this past few weeks. I would love to make the 2015 BH Allietare a priority for my UFO this year. These UFO challenges & setting goals help me focus on getting them done.

Thanks happylab for hosting.
    Denise

You do not simply stumble upon the happy life.....you make it!

I just counted up my UFOs. I'm in trouble.

20 UFO quilts in various stages of completion. Some just fabric pulled and bundled with the pattern, others almost done except final assembly. I've not worked on any of these for at least three months--most of them a year or more, so I'm counting them as UFOs rather than WIPs.
    11 UFO wall hangings and table runners.
    4 WIPs (which I know do not count here, but I want to keep track).
    3 new projects -- fabric pulled, pattern chosen but not yet started for upcoming quilt alongs.

Are there still only 12 months in a year?

Cute finish QM!
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I am in I did not get as many done last year as I did the year before. Hopeful that I can do better I have four King size quilts that have been in progress over the last couple years and I really want them out of here they take up so much space and since my sewing has improved since I started them it does make it difficult to go back to them

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast