Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 UFO Challenge of the Month

Good Morning, I have been a lurker for 5 years! Love reading all the progress on everyone's UFO's and PHD's while trying to convince myself, that since I am such a new quilter that I don't have any unfinished things. Flash! looked in the closet and saw a 2 quilts that were started some where around 2010 and 2013 then took a good look at my labels on my bins. There are 10 right off the bat! I need help and encouragement that this thread gives. My goal is to try to finish at least 4 of them this year. While not adding to the stash of UFO's.

Also love everyone's pictures you are some awesome quilters!

Blog Entries
    I think I went nuts on fabric bought last year and UFO's started. I don't think I will be counting the UFOs either. There are just too many. I am in the midst of organizing my sewing room. That has been a daunting task but also rewarding. I discovered a large plastic box filled with 1/2 square triangles! I haven't finished going through them yet but there are more than enough for a quilt, or maybe a table runner and place mats. Plus!
    My next step is joining a group for not buying fabric for 2018.
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

sunrise: Keep going on that sewing room. I love the look and feeling of accomplishment when I clean and organize my sewing room, or any room for that matter. It sure would be hard to not buy any fabric for a year. I love checking out the new stuff at my LQS. Maybe limit yourself to just a few FQ. Good luck on the UFOs. I will be watching for progress pictures.
    Denise

You do not simply stumble upon the happy life.....you make it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    Cute finish QM!
    Thank you. Was a challenge to embroider on the middle and be sure to align the inner penguin with the letters on the outside. Shekenah likes it.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Quote Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
    Good Morning, I have been a lurker for 5 years! Love reading all the progress on everyone's UFO's and PHD's while trying to convince myself, that since I am such a new quilter that I don't have any unfinished things. Flash! looked in the closet and saw a 2 quilts that were started some where around 2010 and 2013 then took a good look at my labels on my bins. There are 10 right off the bat! I need help and encouragement that this thread gives. My goal is to try to finish at least 4 of them this year. While not adding to the stash of UFO's.

Also love everyone's pictures you are some awesome quilters!
    They were very sneaky to hide from you. Good luck with your goal this year. One day at a time....one stitch at a time.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I am back for another year. I am not counting and will not count. For me, that puts on too much pressure. I have promised myself that I will finish one UFO before I can start a new quit. That will work well until I hit the Farmer's Wife quilt that needs 25 blocks, assembly and quilting. Oh, well every rule needs an exception. I have one UFO sandwiched and ready to quilt and 5 of 6 rows of my guild exchange block quilt for 2017 finished. So....here I go! I am on for the ride with all of you!

My goal this weekend is to finish a UFO that has been 14 years in the making. First step completed, pulling it out of its hiding spot and ironing the quilt and backing fabric. Planning on putting it on the long arm tonight so I can spend the day tomorrow working on it. Would be nice to get this one finally done after all these years.
    Hostess for the Ornament Swap. Watch for details coming later on this year. Come join in on all the fun

Blog Entries
    The quilting is the fun part, but that binding.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    Wow, kristakr with 41 UFOs. i think you are the winner. Here is the one I have chosen to work on. I think it is from 2000 or before. It's part of a pattern Madison House, but I just did the tree. This is how it came out of the closet.
    Name:  20180102_172712_resized.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  324.2 KB

I like that Battle-axe!
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am in again for another year. 2017 I only finished 5 UFOs but that's better than nothing.

The next one that has been talking to me to get finished is a DP9 with Eagles for my BIL. As soon as my back feels up to it, I'll get to basting (my Least favorite part of the job).
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-11-2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

AQ: Great start on getting the quilt out after 14 years. It will feel nice to get it finished. Hope to see a picture.

Battle Axe: i like the trees. Wow, after 17+ years in hiding, it will be such an accomplishment to finish that one.
    Denise

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Love the penguin you made QM, he's so cute! My 1st finish for 2018, a baby quilt from about 3 years ago. It's a simple pattern from the Quilt for Kids web site.Name:  DSCF3711.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  116.6 KB

Jaba: Very cute finish! Love Quilts for Kids! I am very active in my local chapter. I organize all the deliveries to the local hospitals and foster care agencies. QFK has a few very easy quilt patterns.
    Denise

Congratulations to those of you with finishes! Thanks for sharing.

****UFO finish!!!!*****. 72" by 78". It will be finished and donated by my church group.

I am calling it an UFO because the 4 rows of smaller blocks were orphan blocks and they were mostly found in someone's donated stash. I did add a few to the mix.

Connie

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 271
Size:  126.9 KB

Jaba...love the children's quilt.

Retiredteacher- love love pinwheels...so cute! Congratulations on both your finishes!

Today, I sewed my main pieced quilt top together (yea!).... I've had this fabric collection since April. Tomorrow, I will be doing some appliqué and deciding on borders. I need it to be queen size so, probably another week before I finish and get it ready to sandwich. I'll be machine quilting it myself on my domestic so a bit nervous with this size quilt; however, this quilt is for my guest bedroom so I'm not concerned with imperfections. Just glad the main part is done....
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

good evening everyone. I want to thank-you all for jumping on the UFO train. Since my last entry, We have the following passengers/riders jump on board: oksewglad, Belfrybat, Buglady, jaba, Sync, Jeanine, Quilting cat, Veronica, retiredyeacher09, letawellman, Givio, Countrymaid, Fraew, JJBlaine, Sewbizgirl, cherrybsixty, SheriR, Mom-6, Jane Quilter, Rose-P, Petthefabric, jmoore. Joe'smom, Beehiveof9, Anoka Quilter, Mariposa, momsbusy, Sunrise450, JuanitaBean, Teen, TSCweaves, RhondaLee, elly66, Altairss, Dedemac, D.Henson, QuilterMomma, WMUTeach and MadQuilter. Again welcome aboard and lets have a fun year discussing, working on and encourage and helping each other to have beautiful finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
    I think it's because we don't want to buckle under the weight of an entire year's goal. Many people set a goal of 1 (or some number) UFO per month. We track finishes each month, and celebrate every one of them. But there are no rules. Set a goal if you want, or just wing it. Or just drop in any time you like and tell us about any finishes you have so far this year.
    Yes, this is thread that enables you to work at you own pace with encouragement and pics. Did I tell you I love pics of finishes? I do. Thank-you for answering Givio's question. I couldn't have worded the answer any better.

krista, Such a lovely Labrinth top. Just think you are starting with the biggest one, if it takes you longer than a month, okay. Just think the others will be smaller and hopefully easier. It will be lovely when you are finished.

QuillterMomma, Such a cute penquin & your black dog is adorable. Congrats on your finish.

Congrats to Teen for not having any UFO's. I wish I could say that, but I can't. Too many UFO's. And that is why we have this thread. To help us/me finish them and move them on their way to a new home.

Jaba lovely baby quilt. Congrates on your finish. Toot, Toot!!!!

Retiredteacher09, Congrats on your UFO finish, Toot, Toot!!!! Someone will really like the quilt.

Question for anyone who wants to answer. I'm curious, How old is your oldest UFO you plan to complete this year? My is 30+ years. When I 1st started quilting, I pieced a king size top out of old sewing clothes scraps and had hand quilted a small portion I had to take down the top off a large hand quilting frame to move. Since then I have separated the layers and rip-it into 2 parts. I'm still unsure how to finish. But it's on my to do list this year.
    Last edited by happylab; 01-06-2018 at 07:45 PM.

In answer to your question of "how old old oldest?"... well... last month, I posted pics of my 30+ year old Dresden Plate, that I hope to finish this month. But, now that I think about it...
    If I count a top that was pieced by my great-grandmother, and I put borders on... and that has been rolled up on my old hand-quilting frame... that one may well be older than I am. I really need to unquilt that and longarm it instead.

I’ve got one that is at least 34 years old. It’s an art quilt that I pieced with both traditional blocks and 3 dimensional blocks, then sandwiched, but due to time constraints (it was due to be shown at an art gallery), I did not finish the quilting, just did some tacking here and there and used a temporary binding to hold it together for the show and sent it off intending to finish it when it came back. That would have been in lthe fall of either 1981, 1982 or 1983.....

Rob

I cannot even begin to compete on the "oldest UFO" thread. I'll have to be happy with my claim to "most" (or at least way up there, with 41). I've only been quilting since 2004, and my current oldest UFO is the labyrinth on deck for this month, which is from 2013. Until I bought my longarm in 2012, I had zero UFOs - there was a time when I actually made a top and quilted it, before starting anything new. Ah, the good old days ...

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Dedemac, don't you just hate it when the reality slaps you upside your head in the middle of your delusion? lol I recently "found" some UFOs that I totally forgot I had. So my count grew as well.

Congratulations on the finishes Jaba and Connie! I'm still trying to decide which UFO to work on-- I'm definitely not up for the ancient one....

Rob

My oldest I've given myself permission to never finish. There, that's as finished as they'll get in my lifetime. Occasionally I learn something that applies to those old UFO's and progress a step, then back to the "finished" pile. The UFO I intend to finish are making progress. One got quilted and needs binding. One is on the LA and needs a pattern. One became a flimsy and I'll quilt and bind it soon.

I'm not stressed, just progressing toward a goal.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast