Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2018 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2018 UFO Challenge of the Month

2018 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 02-05-2018, 06:07 PM

I finished my second and last UFO! But not without a cost. I was whipping along on the binding during the Super Bowl and somehow the needle left my hand and the needle went right across my eye. Hurt a bit, but there was still a quarter of football and the last side of the quilt to bind. So I powered through, binding with one eye closed. Doctor said it was just a nick.

The piecing of the small 9 patch were done by hand and ended up a mess. My desire for symmetrical quilting vs. wonky piecing made this a challenge. But it is done and I'm on to new donation toddler quilts.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:40 PM

Krista, I think you and the group did a wonderful thing with that UFO. We can all hope that something like that will happen with the things we don't get done in whatever time is allotted to us.

Trudii, My jaw dropped and I winced reading about your eye, but that sure is a nice quilt. It's good to know your eye isn't seriously damaged.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:47 PM

Trudi...my thoughts are with you.

Got 2 passes quilted... 5 to go.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:02 PM

Trudii...omgoodness!! Ouch! I burned my eye with a curling iron when I was a teenager and I remember the pain...Glad there is no permanent damage... Your quilt is lovely. Congratulations! On to new creations...Please hold up you right hand and repeat my mantra..."I will finish what I start before I start again"

petthefabric...you got this! Woohoo on sticking to it.

I am assembling the blocks for a non-UFO. It should be ready for quilter next week. My other non-UFO is at quilters and should be done this week. I have 2 UFO's that I will get to after this current one. Rocky is still armless. I know I know. How easy is it to sew on an arm?

Last edited by Teen; 02-05-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:34 PM

Got 2 more passes complete. Now I can see the end.....
Old 02-06-2018, 05:27 PM

My quilt top is done...woohoo! Gonna get it ready for the quilter. Also, today, I shipped by QOV quilt to recipient. He's in Pittsburgh so I wrapped it up in a plastic bag just in case box gets wet. He's the type that kinda gets irritated when someone says "Thank you for your service"... Not that he doesn't appreciate it but he is a gruff old biker dude and it makes him uncomfortable. My note to him said "Suck it up"...then I thanked him for his service. Lol! He'll appreciate the humor.

next project...finish Rocky.....and assemble misc. UFO blocks into some kind of donation quilt top.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:44 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Trudii...and they say that football and hockey players play through pain! Nothing on you.

petthefabeic, just keep slogging. Love your user name. I am also counting. Just two more trips around the black border and attach the binding, and Alletierre is ready for hand sewing.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:32 PM

Oh Trudii, owie-owie!! I cringe just thinking of your ouchie eye!! Having had eye issues all my life, this just curls my hair!! I'm so glad it wasn't too bad! Your quilt is gorgeous!! Good for you to keep on going!!

Krista, I'm a fan of hexies when it's someone else's work - and you ladies are awesome to finish out this beauty to honor your friend! And since there's no quilt police, you aren't cheating, no matter how you finish it. Any finish is good, and yours is gorgeous!

And so many other finishes already!! Go team!!

I'm nearly finished with the consignment quilt, I just need to put the binding on. But this won't count as a UFO finish, unfortunately.

So, I took the Lone Star back out, and was measuring... and decided I didn't like some of the setting squares, because they're not quite square enough. And since I'm hoping this UFO will end up at fall MQX, I got out my trusty seam ripper and started picking at the offending parts. I have to get the three borders off (halfway there already) and then take out the setting squares and fix them.

My longarm group has "Vintage" as our challenge this year. While I'm spending time picking the LS, I may load that 30+ year old Dresden Plate and finish her off. Then she'll do "double duty" - a UFO finish for this group and a vintage finish for my LA group.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:52 PM

I love hearing about the progress everyone is making on their UFOs, and the photos are a delight!

I just finished the quilting on my Double Irish Chain/Ohio Stars quilt, finally!

Unfortunately, it has to go back (temporarily) to the UFO pile.

The needle assembly fell off of the machine I use for piecing, and the itty-bitty screw that holds it on is nowhere to be found. The feed dogs don't work on the machine I use for quilting, and my son borrowed my vintage Singer, so I have nothing to piece with at the moment. My car is in the shop, so I have to wait until I have it back to go hunting for a replacement screw to fix the machine so I can add the binding.

In the meantime, I've pulled out another UFO. It's called Oklahoma Twister, from the February 2006 issue of American patchwork and Quilting magazine, which is how long it has been waiting to become a finished quilt! I have a top assembled, borders and all, in a lap size, with 3 rows and columns of 12" blocks. I have enough fabric to add two more rows and columns. So, tonight I will rip out the border, and do the cutting, so I'm ready to go once I have a working machine once again.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Power Poster

JJ you are making lemonade out of lemons...good job! Like you I enjoy everyone's progress. One more day of major bookwork and then I can catch up on what I've neglected around the house..floors need to be mopped for starters!