Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2018 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2018 UFO Challenge of the Month

2018 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 03-10-2018, 05:05 PM

I am trying really hard to stay motivated on the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. I have 75 of 140 blocks completed and the applique border semi-designed. I thought designing the border would help me see it completed in my head...whatever works. The blocks are fun to make but I struggled with one today and got discouraged....then, I did a couple of simple ones and felt more productive. I have yet to start a new project.....I will finish this first!!! This is my vow!!
Old 03-11-2018, 07:12 AM

Good cloudy morning everyone.

So so sorry Cherrybsixty for missing your ufo for February. So our grand total is #28 for the month of February. Toot, toot!!! Thank-you very much for you keeping my numbers straight. Again I’m terrible sorry. But please continue on your ufo journey. For I know each quilt has a story behind it.

Thinking of stories: So we can have more stories on this site. If you would like to. Let us know why you bought the original fabric for, maybe why you put it down and whatever you would like to say about your ufo. I just love background stories and details. Yes I grew up listening to Paul Harvey with his ..... Rest of the story. (For those of you who don’t know him. He was a radio announcer who had a program and he end, most shows with a small story called the rest of the Story).

Now for the grand finale of this post. We need to give special recognition to poor Rocky, who has been a UFO for over a year. I think we should vote to make him our honorary mascot on this thread. Vote yes or no. What do you think? I think he is so cute. Thank-you Teen for finishing him and sharing him with us. So if we vote for him as our mascot, will you let him be our UFO mascot?
Old 03-11-2018, 07:45 AM

Grand total for March so far “6” Yea!!!! Toot, toot. Thank-you quiltermomma and Kristakz.

Our goal for this month is 31. We are a 1/5 way there.

Oksewglad - Are you working on the 365 day challenge? That is one of my start this year projects and work on it for a few years. How far have you gotten on the project? Congrats on your long arm purchase. Let us see pics as you finish your quilting. Ufo’s Or not, we love finished projects. Gives us motivation.

Rryder, most of us have many UFO’s, that’s one reason we are on this site. I just pick up one or two or three projects and work on them at the same time. Eventually they will all get done.

Dedemac your baby quilt top looks so great. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Back to my mystery train #18 - block construction. Only 9 more blocks. This is a WIP. I’m also working on a Olaf throw for my GN. I’m short 12.5” on all corners, so I need to cut out 8 blocks this size of matching blocks or make 8 blocks this size. I need 8 blocks for front and back, for it is a reservable quilt.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-15-2018 at 01:54 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 03-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Yes happylab, I have the 365 challenge quilt started...I didn't go back to it but am working on another project from stash fabrics instead, but here are some photos of 3" blocks I have so far[ATTACH=CONFIG]590596[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]590597[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]590598[/ATTACH]

I have decided to work on another UFO...a Lori Holt project that was a sew a long in our quilt guild last year. I got behind and we all know the "rest of the story" on what happens then...or a continuing saga on how UFO's get started. So the guild project has both 6 and 12 inch blocks...being the overachiever I am some days, I decided to do both. Not knowing what the quilt along was going to be at the beginning I chose 2 background fabrics...the 12" blocks are blue and cream and various shades of them...it's going okay, but not as striking as I hoped it would be. We'll see as I decide how to set the blocks. I'm not going to use as many blocks in the 12" as I am in the 6".

The background fabric for the 6" blocks I chose a piece of Hoffman "Dainties" fabric I bought because it reminded me of the kind of fabric, my mom would have used for her aprons. It was a perfect choice for this project. As I cut and sew the blocks I have chosen colors/designs with her in mine. This little quilt has a story to tell. I need to finish this project this year...it is the 40th anniversary of her passing. Would be great to have at least the top all done in time for my family reunion coming up in July. I'll try to get photos posted later this week.
Attached Thumbnails jan-9-throu-211.jpg   blocks.jpg   blocks1.jpg  
Old 03-11-2018, 09:18 AM

happylab - I love your idea about story-telling. There is inspiration behind quilts and each individual quilt-making story would fun to hear. Though, I'm on this thread to eliminate the possibilities of UFO's and keep me motivated, I've also been inspired for future projects. So, bring on the story-telling and the giggles of everyone's journey. And, Rocky would be proud to be the thread mascot this year!

Oksewglad.... In your 365 challenge I saw a few blocks I'm doing in the SYlvia's Bridal Sampler. I cannot imagine doing some these blocks in 3"... The 6" are challenging enough so I applaud your mini-quilt making talent. Your blocks look great. Your colorway is gorgeous and reminds me of an antique farm quilt. Good luck!!!

i'm struggling with the layout for my UFO orphan blocks. I made a few more blocks but I don't have enough scrap fabric to do what I want so I keep playing with it. I may pull it out today and play again. It will be a donation quilt but I still want it to look nice...
Old 03-11-2018, 10:21 AM

Oksewglad, yours looks about as far as mine is.
January and February
[ATTACH=CONFIG]590605[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]590606[/ATTACH]
I started the first time I heard about the challenge. I do have the files for each day saved and a calendar that I was checking off my progress or lack of it. I was planning on making wall coverings out of the blocks when I got them finished. Some of them I like how they turned out some not so much. This one is about 5th or 6th in line to finish.
I also love to hear the background on what happened along the way, on our UFO journey.

And my vote is for Rocky to be our mascot!!

Laura's quilt is drying since I glue basted it this morning. We have a eagle scout ceremony soon and friends for dinner so no sewing today.
Great progress everyone.
Attached Thumbnails dsci3804c.jpg   dsci3794c.jpg  
Old 03-11-2018, 05:42 PM

My progress today on my mystery 18, I hit a snag. I’m 4 blocks short on my 1/4 square triangle. I have 9 blocks done and after I make the 4 blocks i’m Short, I can put the top together. Pics later in the week. This is a work in progress.

Okaysewglad I like your progress and colors. I have my fabric pulled, all patterns copied and just waiting for me to complete a few other projects to start that later in a few more months. My colors will be purple, blue, green and a single background color, I think. Unsure if other colors will be thrown in or not. I’ll see how it goes.

Dedemac, I like your progress as well on the 365 day challenge. the colors are pretty and i’m Waiting to see the 1st round. I’m kinda of concerned on the small pieces, but in a few months, i’m Just going to jump in and start the project. I give myself 2 years to complete this project. I will consider it one of my master piece quilts I plan to make.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

Dedemac...lol yup looks like we started at the same time and got stalled at the same time. Right now too many farm/family commitments to contend with so hopefully this fall sometime....
Old 03-12-2018, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
Good cloudy morning everyone.

So so sorry Cherrybsixty for missing your ufo for February. So our grand total is #28 for the month of February. Toot, toot!!! Thank-you very much for you keeping my numbers straight. Again I’m terrible sorry. But please continue on your ufo journey. For I know each quilt has a story behind it.

Thinking of stories: So we can have more stories on this site. If you would like to. Let us know why you bought the original fabric for, maybe why you put it down and whatever you would like to say about your ufo. I just love background stories and details. Yes I grew up listening to Paul Harvey with his ..... Rest of the story. (For those of you who don’t know him. He was a radio announcer who had a program and he end, most shows with a small story called the rest of the Story).

Now for the grand finale of this post. We need to give special recognition to poor Rocky, who has been a UFO for over a year. I think we should vote to make him our honorary mascot on this thread. Vote yes or no. What do you think? I think he is so cute. Thank-you Teen for finishing him and sharing him with us. So if we vote for him as our mascot, will you let him be our UFO mascot?
happylab, good afternoon, your apologize is well accepted, because it wasn't intentional. This I know, as busy as all of us stay in these times. And then trying to use our talents as a hobby to replace stress. Just trying to help with a good incentive to a proper count.
I am loving your idea of lifting the UFO train to a higher plain of inviting stories to the thread, what an exciting idea.
My vote is "yes" for Rocky as the UFO mascot. Thank you for your patience and your new ideas, have a good day all.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:56 PM

I put my 365 in time out. Don't think I am going to finish the whole quilt. I have quilted two customer 365 quilts. they are very beautiful. I do not want to quilt another one though. Be very mindful of your seams. They get very bulky and difficult to quilt over. Just saying. My blocks that I did make will be put into a mini. I did not put them on my UFO list this year because I was not sure what I was doing with them.
I have nearly another flimsy ready for my stack to go on the longarm. Finished four customer quilts this weekend so hoping to get to mine real soon. If I get to keep to my list this week, oh yes I pressure myself terribly, I will be nearly caught up and can quilt a couple more of mine next week.
If it will make poor Rocky feel better, by all means make him our mascot.