2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-01-2019, 03:19 PM

Iceblossom, that's going to be a great quilt. I love the 9 patch off kilter.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:09 PM

I'll try and get a picture of the comfort quilt when it is done, but we are on the fast track with this project. Turns out that you trimmed them by going from one sewing intersection to the next... so hard for me to describe and it seemed so wrong while doing it but it worked out fine in the end. Basically if you tilt that square template a bit on the diagonal up on the right top and then down to the left top side, that's the line we cut on and it makes the 9-patches even more tilted and they magically finished at 5.5" raw.

Each of us had a pretty matching set of blocks, so if there were 4 duplicates we each got one. Then we had different sashing solids to use. I had no more than 3 solids of any one tone, some were little scraps and just got one block out of them. I randomly sorted my solids and used them with whatever block came up next, only couldn't do one combination... the fabric was very orange and the fabrics were black and white little stars and it was just too Halloweenie. The orange worked fine with the next fabric and that fabric worked fine with the stars. Two of us made our blocks tilt one way, the other two the other way.

We'll be meeting a bit before regular time tomorrow to go over the blocks, layout and sashing choice. Next is some time with Hubby, he is starting at 4:00 AM again tomorrow so his bed time is 8:00. Then I need to figure out what to bring to group tomorrow to work on... it would be too suspicious for me to not have anything ready. I've got that purple quilt in kit form but I haven't cut the borders yet, that would probably be easy to bring but the fabric needs an ironing touch-up.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Everyone is doing great...keep at it..Not so for me...I went to a huge sale and bought 50+ yards of misc pieces...woe is me!
Don't feel too bad, ok. I fell off the wagon this weekend too. I bought 8 yards of oriental-themed fabric just because I love it. No plans for it...yet.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

Whoa...50 yards that would be one big $$$$ out let alone yards in! In actuality when the day is done and when I get the bindings on two quilts, I will have used 13 yards from stash to make a couple of donation quilts...more to come as well. Now to get the 2nd quilt meander quilted and then get the bindings on. Have a good night!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-02-2019 at 03:37 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-01-2019, 06:12 PM

Ok, lol, I am still sitting here giggling. You got us.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

LOL Judith..we are a trickster family once in a while. My GD covered her brother's car windshield and car windows with post it notes last night...he had to remove them before going to school! My DIL froze the kids' spoons into their cereal and put waxed paper in son's sandwich...he ate it not knowing it was there! We all need to laugh at ourselves once in a while!
Old 04-01-2019, 09:49 PM

OK....you are an ornery lil' wagon rider.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
Been staying in the wagon for a few weeks. Emptying scrap containers and clearing scrap piles along the way. Been putting "I don't love it anymore" fabrics/blocks/patterns in box to take to free table on sew days. I cut down estate sale purchased blocks to back a quilt. Bagged up some truly unloved fabric for a church program. Just finished webbing a scrap quilt and will post when it is finished- almost 900 pieces, 2" X 3.5". All of this "stash touching" has kept me from even looking at the few emails I still get from my favorite online websites.
I have been following the posts and has inspired me so much. So far this year have only purchased 3 yards of material, that I have already been cutting into as I need it for my mood quilt. Even that mood quilt has been a major inspiration, it makes me realize a lot of things. But this AUQuilter has really got me to thinking how to sort thru what I have. I would ask you to come do mine when you are done yours but know I am really the only one that can do it for the effect I need. At least I have a better idea of where to start and what to do. Thank you everyone.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:17 AM

Oksewglad, yes, you got me! I thought you lost your ever-lovin' mind! I'm so glad that you don't need all the punishment I planned for you! No M&Ms for that long, on top of all that exercise, would caused you to become way too skinny!

I have a son who is mentally retarded and lives in a great group home. For years he has called me on every 4/1 and says "There is a bug in your hair!" How he can see it over the phone is a mystery!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:58 AM

Sweet story, SillySusan.. What a character!

I told my husband on April Fools day that I would not be cooking dinner that night. He said, "April Fools, right?" I said "uh....no". Lol...