2019 UFO Challenge

Old 01-26-2019, 09:02 AM

I’ll join in. I have three UFOs I took to a Longarmer yesterday. 2 i should get back in Feb and one in April. Will post pictures on their return. I mostly work on slow quilts. But I have some tops I made in past that I need to finish. These 3 are some of the bottle neck (guilt), to finishing others.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Susie.. Lifting your mom up in prayer this morning. Thank goodness you and sis are able to give the care she needs.
Thanks, Teen and my husband is fantastic! He adores Mom and cooks her wonderful things when she's with us. He will do absolutely everything in his power to care for her. They've always been very close
Old 01-26-2019, 10:20 AM

There isn't enough time in this world for me to get all my ufo's done but going to try to make a whack at it. Finished some last year but not enough. Some were never started but in totes do they count as I am about to start a few of them also. got them for Christmas from hubby and you know they are special
Old 01-26-2019, 10:42 AM

I would love to join this challenge. So I guess the first step is locating all of my UFO's??!! For me, that will require pretty much tearing apart my sewing studio to find where I've stashed them all!! Lol.

I'm curious, why do others end up with UFO's? Boredom? Change in taste/style? Time?
Old 01-26-2019, 10:44 AM

How do I join this group
Old 01-26-2019, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

momof3inmn...some of it is a little ADHD...new techniques and or patterns entice us. Sometimes we bite off more than we can chew...in other words the project is a little bigger than we thought or the skill set isn't up to our abilities yet. Oh and I haven't located all of my UFO's..it may scare me. I'm hoping to finish a couple of UFO's and WIP's before I start a new one this year.

If you have posted you have joined...easy peasy!
Old 01-26-2019, 11:56 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Susie, hope that your mother’s rehab will go well. What a wonderful husband you have! Maybe kit up a little hand project—you can take it along for Dr and rehab appts. Most importantly, give yourself some some leeway for a while.

How do we end up with UFO’s? Hating one step in the process—layering—is a big one for me. So completed tops wait until I can make myself actually get them ready to quilt. Sometimes it can be lack of confidence, or choosing a project and discovering we lack the needed skills. It could just be that “seemed like a good idea at the time”. Or, as Oksewglad says, distraction by other pretty, shiny, patterns. In my case, this is: another Frank Lloyd Wright window? Another JN pattern? Another BH mystery? Let’s go!

There also can be projects that have some emotional “strings” attached. You started it for someone you loved but could not finish it in time. That’s my oldest UFO. But it is almost quilted, finally, and will be done this year.

And let’s not even talk about “I hate this quilt and never want to see it again”. It usually strike about 3/4 of the way through the piecing process.

Good news! The Christmas tree is done! At least for now. It gets lights next year. [ATTACH=CONFIG]607403[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-26-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by tohorse1 View Post
How do I join this group
You're in! Welcome.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:28 PM

Welcome tohorse1!! Good luck in your personal UFO challenge this year.

Momof3.....I don't have any UFO's but I can totally experience the difficulty in the challenge. I participate in this challenge to avoid them and get encouragement to finish what I start....and to support everyone in their efforts. I may have one UFO but it's really a WIP since I've been looking for a specific panel to finish it up. No luck so far...even shopped for it at Road to Calif.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:01 PM

Momof3, like Teen I have no UFOs of my own, but I have one from my daughter. I joined this thread as a UFO-prevention measure. I know I could easily have UFOs in my quilts, since I have some knit & crochet UFOs. Like krisb, layering is my first stall-out point. I love cutting & piecing blocks & that excitement carries me through to the final block placement & sewing. Then...it’s almost like the urge to make that quilt is satisfied. I have to make myself layer, quilt, & bind it. But the binding means it’s almost finished & I can start another! Yay! And so it goes.