Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: 2019 UFO Challenge

Blog Entries
    RE: Feed sack like fabric
    The only way one can verify it is if you see the stitching on the feed sack fabric...then it's feed sack...no stitching, no way to verify...so it's feed sack like...

Gee I'm tired...I hate changing over to DST!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Hi everyone! I'm new to QB, but not to UFOs. I have 7 that are are in some state of progress, from piecing and quilting -- and only one is from earlier this year when I had to chase off winter despair with some soft pastels (which are not normally my thing; desperate times, desperate measures). I have 9 more quilts that I have chosen a pattern and pulled fabric for. I don't count those as UFOs yet, but it would only take a moment of relaxed vigilance to change that.

My oldest current UFO is a improvisationally pieced scrap wool quilt that I started ~20 years ago. I sewed feverishly for three days last week to get the top done and the flannel backing pieced. Now it's too big for any floor space in my house and I'm going to have to find some 8' boards and try board basting at my dining room table. This thing feels like a saga. It has a life of its own! So, not a completion shot, but I feel like I crossed a major milestone yesterday when I finally got the whole top together (and then lopped off 12" because it was too long -- life of its own, I tell ya!).

Name:  scrap wool quilt.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  1.04 MB

Hello Entangled. Welcome to the Quilting Board!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Another welcome entangled. I like how those bright spots of color liven up your flimsy! What's the quilting plan? With a flannel backing this will be the warmest quilt in the house! Can't wait to see it finished.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Entangled welcome to the thread, this place is great for encouragement. Any decrease in the UFO piles are what we aim for, some times my aim isn't very good! Your quilt looks like it will be nice and warm (are you in upper or lower MI?) and I love the little pops of color!

Welcome, Entangled, from another Michigander. I am in southwest Michigan, an hour from Lake Michigan. This is a nice place to keep motivated to finish projects and to then show off our efforts. The number you finish all depends on what stage your UFOs are in and how deep the pile and your other obligations and responsibilities (wink, wink).

Thanks sewbizgirl, oksewglad, and dedemac! I'm in SE Michigan, Ann Arbor specifically. Warm was the goal! As for the quilting plan... I'm not 100% sure. Maybe running stitch in different pearl cotton neutrals. I don't know if I have the stamina for more intricate crazy quilt embroidery (the plan once upon a time).

Thank you, WMUTeach!!! I hope you're enjoying the bit of sunshine we got this week.

Welcome entangled!! And welcome to the UFO thread...so motivational. Well, good for you to dig out and complete a 20 year old UFO. The fabrics and pattern used are timeless....very pretty. I'm collecting plaid homespun fabrics for a project and can't wait to jump in....your quilt has me more excited!
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Welcome to QB and the UFO thread, Entangled! You'll get lots of encouragement here to help keep you motivated to finish your very pretty UFO.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Thank you for your sympathy. This is the fabric I have run out of:- exploding abstract daisy flower batik.Name:  exploding abstract daisy flower batik.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  586.1 KB

You could post a picture on missingfabric.com and ask there if anyone has some. A lot of quilt shops watch that site and will contact you if they have it. I know...I used to work in a quilt shop and it was my job to watch that web site. We sold fabric when we could matched it.

O-O-O-O-O good idea! I have never used the site but it it works it is golden and you can get one more UFO finished.

Welcome the to this UFO thread and QB, Entangled.

Pearl40 = what beautiful fabric, so pretty.

I have 1 small ufo completed, pic later today or tomorrow. Now to put binding on 2 more ufo’s. Happy sewing and quilting everyone.

FYI - tomorrow should start the monthly VQW. P.s. sometimes she may start a day early. I’m looking, but not finding the thread yet.

entangled, Welcome to QB and to this thread. I'm from MI also. I believe someone else on QB is also from Ann Arbor, but I don't remember who at this time.

I'm still working on the Birthday Candies quilt. I haven't quit my UFO-- whoohoo! Working on the backing now, which is going to be from curtains that I got at Goodwill. Valances, actually. A lot of seam ripping right now, as I can fit the front and lining together to be the correct size for one of my columns if I don't cut the fabric.

Givio: Good ideas on using valances for your backing.
    Connie

Senior Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    Yeah for me!!! Finished hand sewing the binding on my Hunters Star quilt. 100" x 100" . That's 400" of hand sewing . The quilt has been done and quilted for 2 years!! The binding was even sewn on. It just needed the binding sewn down. Have at least 2 more big quilts that only need binding. It's good to finally finish.

Quote Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
    Yeah for me!!! Finished hand sewing the binding on my Hunters Star quilt. 100" x 100" . That's 400" of hand sewing . The quilt has been done and quilted for 2 years!! The binding was even sewn on. It just needed the binding sewn down. Have at least 2 more big quilts that only need binding. It's good to finally finish.
    Congratulations on the 400" finish, love to see it soon.

Wow... 400 inches is a lot of hand stitching! Huge quilt! I sew all my bindings by machine so I don't get bogged down.

I just posted this top on the VQW thread because I completed it today. But really, it is a UFO. The 16 patch checkerboards are made up of some 4 patches I have had for years. I finally got tired of feeling guilty about them and decided to use them in this pattern.

The pattern is my adaptation of Becky Petersen's "Swingin' Checkerboards", free on her website, quiltedtwins.com . I love her patterns!

Name:  IMG_4879.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  283.6 KB
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html

Senior Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...nters-star.jpg
    Here's the link to the picture I posted of my Hunters Star. Hope it works. I gave this quilt to my DIL, or promised it to her. She will be glad to actually get it. I made a list of the UFO's that I wanted completed. Need to check this one off and keep going.
    Gail

That’s a gorgeous Hunter’s Star, Sewing.

Blog Entries
    400 inches is a lot of hand stitching...and on a lovely Hunter's Star...way to go.

SBG I have some 16P blocks lanquishing in lala land. I like the setting to yours. May have to "borrow" it, but first I have a 10 yo waiting to sew today!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

It is so inspiring to come here and see the progress people are making.

sewbizgirl and sewingitalltogether, your quilts are beautiful!

I'm nearing the end of the quilting on my current UFO, so should be able to get it bound before the end of the month.
    Lisa

Sewing....that is stunning!! Congratulations on this beauty's finish...

sewbiz....another gorgeous quilt. That site has awesome patterns.

I haven't had a lot of time to call my own but I did happen to get one section of my current project assembled. I'm so pleased with how this is turning out. It's like a puzzle fitting all the misc sized blocks together. I hope to finish it this coming week and off to LA
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Doing the VQW today, and in the process of sandwiching this, my flimsy is finished. I am glue basting so I can quilt it this evening and tomorrow.

Name:  DSCI4103cw.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  28.9 KB

This should be done by the end of the month?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 LastLast