Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: 2019 UFO Challenge

I have finished a top into a quilt. About a year ago Barbara from the Birthday Swap posted a QAL for her members to use up some of their 2.5" squares that they swap. I made the top, then folded it up and there it sat until now. I have donated it for a teenager in the children's crisis home that my group supports. It's a twin size.

Name:  IMG_5160.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  292.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5161.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  277.5 KB

Quilting is most visible from the back.
    Name:  IMG_5163.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  239.3 KB
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    I will share the school quilt after itís quilted & bound. Itís a fun one. Very colorful

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    That's beautiful and fun! I like the way you quilted it too... plenty but not too much. Winner! I hope you show us the school raffle quilt too, maybe?
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Love those colors- neat quilt and quilting, CK!
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Cool quilt, Sewbiz- I really like those quilting motifs you used in the center

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    What a fun layout, SBG! My goodness, do you ever sit still...lots of nice finishes for you!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    Cool quilt, Sewbiz- I really like those quilting motifs you used in the center

Rob
    Just experimenting, Rob!
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html

Blog Entries
    Geesh. Seems like every time I get a ufo quilted and feel like Iím making progress I open something or move something and find another one! Will it ever end???
    just picked up a pouch that was stuffed in a bag of tote bags, opened it to find this cathedral window project I started about 11 years ago....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Wow, lots of vibrant color on display today! Beautiful quilts ckcowl and sewbiz! I don't know if I'll ever have the ambition to attempt a cathedral window.
    Lisa

Ooooh....a rainbow treat for the eyes with the quilts being shared.

ckcowl....I love your flying geese quilt. Just beautiful....and the cathedral window. Looks like it is pretty much done...quilt, bind, and done if that is your vision. Love it..

sewbiz....love love love your charm quilt. Fantastic pattern. I have a bunch of charm squares still that I have not hexi'd yet...this inspires me.. The recipient will love it.. So sweet..

I'm going thru withdrawals...no sewing or crafting..ugh! I did finish the wonky neighborhood pillow I made for our realtor, tho....then my travel machine was packed up. 4 more days till the movers load us up....5 more days until we hit the road.. Goodness...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Good luck to you Teen! Are you moving far?

ckcowl, that Cathedral Window is so pretty. And it's almost done. Hope you will finish it.

My scrappy chevron 'mystery quilt'... I'm sure Barbara Kibbler in the Birthday group can direct you to the clues she posted, if you want to make one. Notice that there are no whites or lights, just mediums and darks in the mix.
    Last edited by sewbizgirl; 05-13-2019 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks for the good wishes!! Sewbiz...I am moving 1,000 miles. Moving from So. Calif (about 50 miles from Palm Springs) to a small town near Boise, Idaho. Will be quite the change for us but so excited.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    Sewbizgirl, love this pattern. Where can I find this pattern.
    True4uca

Quote Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
    Sewbizgirl, love this pattern. Where can I find this pattern.
    I have saved the tutorial for this quilt, I just finished my second one and will post a photo later this week, but I am not sure about the rules for sharing this since it came from another board member. It is not a "pattern" in the traditional sense but a week by week picture and written tutorial for the 2.5 Birthday Swap group last year. Let's see what our moderators say and I will check with the one who posted originally.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
    I have saved the tutorial for this quilt, I just finished my second one and will post a photo later this week, but I am not sure about the rules for sharing this since it came from another board member. It is not a "pattern" in the traditional sense but a week by week picture and written tutorial for the 2.5 Birthday Swap group last year. Let's see what our moderators say and I will check with the one who posted originally.
    you should use a link to the posting by the original poster
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T Ė is it True? H Ė is it Helpful? I Ė is it Inspiring? N Ė is it Necessary? K Ė is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    you should use a link to the posting by the original poster
    I would but it was sent out in a number of postings over the course of a month or 5 weeks.

I have messaged Barbara from the Birthday Swap group to see if she has a list of the posts where the “clues” are given. I have not yet gotten a response from her. If you want to search yourself, True4uca, the mystery QAL was in the 2018-2019 Birthday Swap thread, found in the Swap section of the board. The first clue appeared around March or April of 2018, and new clues came out every 2 weeks, always posted by barbarakibbler. If you can find the first one, you should be able to skim along and find the rest.

When I hear back from Barbara I will post her response here.

Lots of good, colourful stuff going on!

Watson

I found it! The introductory post for that mystery quilt is post # 595, on this page:
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...294216-24.html

From there she gives the start date, and the following clues are given every two weeks thereafter. Originally she said every three weeks, but then shortened it to two. So if you want to find the pattern 'clues', just scroll through for posts from BarbaraKibbler, every two weeks after the start date.

I found it! The introductory post for that mystery quilt is post # 595, on this page:
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...294216-24.html

From there she gives the start date, and the following clues are given every two weeks thereafter. Originally she said every three weeks, but then shortened it to two. So if you want to find the pattern 'clues', just scroll through for posts from BarbaraKibbler, every two weeks after the start date.

I went digging around and found the posting numbers for the rest of the instructions.

Follow Sewbizgirl's directions using the link in her post. The following are the post numbers for the instructions.

step1: 610 rows of 3
    step 2: 800 9 patch
    step 3: 961 cutting background fabric
    step 4: 1089 making 6 patch
    step 5: 1206 making 8 patch
    step 6: 1207, 1208. 1209 making triangle blocks
    1343, 1344, 1345, 1346

I found the pictures particularly helpful when making my quilts using this pattern.

Blog Entries
    Sewbizgirl, Thank you so much.
    True4uca

Blog Entries
    Wow Wmuteach, That was fast. Thank you.
    True4uca

Thank you for all that work, WMUTeach! It took me forever just to find the first post, so I can imagine the time you spent locating them all!

Sewbizgirl, I saved the directions and photos when Barbara posted them last spring and summer with the post numbers. I did take some time to double check the post numbers and glad I did. Found a couple of errors but now, all is well. I just finished another quilt with this pattern. Haven't taken a photo yet but will and post likely this week-end. Hope folks like orange!

I love orange! Can't wait to see it, WMUT.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    Geesh. Seems like every time I get a ufo quilted and feel like Iím making progress I open something or move something and find another one! Will it ever end???
    just picked up a pouch that was stuffed in a bag of tote bags, opened it to find this cathedral window project I started about 11 years ago....
    Ckcowl This brings back a lot of memories! I inherited one from my DH's GM it was about 1/2 of a twin bed size. Tried to figure out what to do with it as she made it on point, so there was a lot of 1/4 triangles. Was able to salvage the piece as a lap quilt and 1 wall hanging, sister-in-law said she liked them.

I have finished a top into a quilt. About a year ago Barbara from the Birthday Swap posted a QAL for her members to use up some of their 2.5" squares that they swap. I made the top, then folded it up and there it sat until now. I have donated it for a teenager in the children's crisis home that my group supports. It's a twin size.
    Sewbizgirl Awesome, such a happy quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    This ufo has been sitting around for a long time. I sewed this top together about 8 1/2 years ago. Then it was folded up & put on the shelf. I think at the time- since itís all scraps- that I would continue making columns and make it larger. That never happened. Last week I was digging for some fabric and came upon it again. Pulled it out & since I had nothing else really going on at that moment I located a backing that would work and loaded it up to finally get it quilted. Of course about an hour later I was contacted and asked to make a quilt for a school raffle.
    I picked up the squares ( colored by the kindergarten class) and went ahead and made that quilt top- finished the borders on it yesterday and today got busy quilting the loaded ufo- I wasnít about to unload it at this point. So, now itís all quilted ( Yea!) and the school quilt is loaded.
    the backing on this ufo is a bright turquoise color- not this dull blue that shows in the picture. Itís not perfect, but sometimes done is better than perfect.
    Ckcowl - I wish I had your ability to quickly get the job done. I would love to have a Long arm or even a mid arm, so I will just drool over your quilts for now. Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Teen View Post
    I finished the wedding quilt top today!! Woohoo!! So excited...It's huge for me so I was a bit anxious that it would not be squared. It is the most squared quilt top I ever finished.. Phew! Tonight, I'll start clipping threads and prep it for LA. Tomorrow night, I'll start sandwich prep and maybe my LA can finish it before I leave. Then I just have to bind it in my RV...so doable... I'm so relieved.. Here's a pic before I sewed the left piano key border on...
    Teen what wonderful choice of shading, for the wedding quilt! It will go with anything that the couple chooses for there decor and look outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    This one is a mashup of two UFOs that had been sitting for several years. the blue parts have yard couching that was done with my Sweet Sixteen and the couching feet set. There are silk fabrics and other home dec fabrics in that part that came from my grandmother's house. The other parts with Flying Geese and HSTs are leftovers from a quilt I made in 2012- they were set aside to make another quilt, but I was just so tired of them that after I got them pieced in rows I never could manage to make myself put the quilt together LOL!

Ditch quilted the HSTs and Geese using tiny blanket stitch on the sewing machine and also used the same to stitch the ribbons down over top. Overcast the edges to bind using the same pink thread that I used in the quilting. I think it's about 42" wide by 20something high....

thanks for looking,
    Rob
    Rob, you come up with the most amazing ideas and have so much talent. I keep waiting for your next project, knowing it will be something very unique.

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    Watson, that is the Ribbon Star quilt pattern. You can find it free on the internet. I did get that one done at beginning of March. I used some ufo hst that I had made. Put the applique on to add some spark before quilting it.

Yes, these are all mine. I actually have some more finishes to post, just have to find them. These were some of mine at the quilt show. Having them hanging up made them look so much prettier than laying on the floor. I had 33 entries this year at Odessa. They wanted all my ufo finishes. I was in a contest at Experience Quilts in Odessa and they requested I enter them in the show. I have been unemployed since February of this year. This gave me time to finish my projects. I still have more to go, but at least I made a dent in my goal of 55 UFOs. I do only have 22 more to go by November. I will post pics when I get them done.

I do appreciate your kind comments.
    QuilterMomma 33 in one show? Did you have time to eat or sleep this year?? Loved looking at your one quilter show, I hope you find what you are looking for in the employment area. Remember to only work at what you love to do. Then it's not a job it's fun time.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 LastLast